Why does a player have to call an extension if there is a referee?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just give the player the extra time if he hasn't used his extension? Same with a push. Everybody knows what a push is.

Referee was yelling at Shane who is deaf and turns off his hearing aid during matches. Apparently the referee is the only guy who doesn't know that. Wouldn't it be easier just to give him the extension unless the intention is to shark him. Nobody watches pool or any other sport to see the referee.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes player have to call extension is silly. Some events have automatic extension and players do not have to call extension
Push is different. You have to call push cos in push you can hit and foul any ball. If you don't call push and hit your opponent's ball or 9 ball first, how does your opponent know whether you actually foul or you are playing push? :LOL:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In the US Open format, you can have one extension per rack. If you already used it in that rack, you can't have another extension. It's up to the player to decide when they want to use their extension, and convey that to the scorekeeper or referee.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it would be simpler to have an automatic extension, but I also understand the counter argument that the player has to declare it. The push out is a different thing altogether, as is calling a shot that isn't obvious.

I have no problem with shot clocks but back when major televised pool tournaments didn't have them there were very few issues.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any other sport where the refs call the time outs for the players?
It's not a timeout, it's an extension to a time limit. As far as I understand it there are no official time outs at the US Open but I'm sure that if a player said something like, "I'm bursting, I really need to go" then the ref would allow it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On the accu-stat matches at DCC and the prior U.S. Opens the extension was automatic. Why Matchroom decided not to do that here is a mystery to me. And Shane is familiar with that format as well. Making the players call for an extension is nonsense imo. Too many ways that a mistake can be made, like what happened here. I like letting them know they have used their extension afterwards instead.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It's not a timeout, it's an extension to a time limit. As far as I understand it there are no official time outs at the US Open but I'm sure that if a player said something like, "I'm bursting, I really need to go" then the ref would allow it.
Each player can have a time out (up to 5 minutes), taken on their turn. The exception would be, as you stated, emergency to go to the bathroom. Which can happen during multiple break and runs.

30 second shot clock (when all the balls stop moving)
At the 20 second mark, call out 10.
1 extension per rack.
60 second for the first shot after the break.
Scratches, the shot clock starts when you pick up the ball in hand.
Up to 5 minute time-out.
2 minutes practice time for each player
1 minute for the lag.

@jay helfert
Scorekeeping for a match, it happened that I had to let both players know they used their extensions for the rack. Polski team members faced off each other and a long safety match ensured.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the accu-stat matches at DCC and the prior U.S. Opens the extension was automatic. Why Matchroom decided not to do that here is a mystery to me. And Shane is familiar with that format as well. Making the players call for an extension is nonsense imo. Too many ways that a mistake can be made, like what happened here. I like letting them know they have used their extension afterwards instead.
There is a counter argument that the player should declare the extension - otherwise they are exempt from time pressure in making the decision to take the extension. But yes it would make things simpler.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok
Ok, then in what other sport do refs call “an extension to a time limit” rather than the players?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok

Ok, then in what other sport do refs call “an extension to a time limit” rather than the players?
None that I'm aware of. I'm for the player calling for the extension. However, I'm ok with it being automatic if others favor this as it does simplify things.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it would be simpler to have an automatic extension, but I also understand the counter argument that the player has to declare it. The push out is a different thing altogether, as is calling a shot that isn't obvious.

I have no problem with shot clocks but back when major televised pool tournaments didn't have them there were very few issues.

i mostly agree. but to the latter statement i would add that pool was cancelled from tv. i can't imagine bergman, kaci, fedor or kazakis dragging out matches to eternity reversing that. it needs to be a sellable product and the shot clock helps to make it that.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i mostly agree. but to the latter statement i would add that pool was cancelled from tv. i can't imagine bergman, kaci, fedor or kazakis dragging out matches to eternity reversing that. it needs to be a sellable product and the shot clock helps to make it that.

Yes this is the key point.

The players don't necessarily object to players taking longer, but its not marketable to a new fan base, as 9 / 10 they end up playing the first shot that was obvious to everyone anyway!

The shot clock works pretty well, with very few issues, even yesterday it was a minor blip and the problem was resolved within 60 seconds or so, so I don't see a massive issue with the current system.

The only issue I see with the automatic calling of extensions, is that perhaps its harder for the player to remember if they've called one and/or they might assume they have one left later on. Whereas if they called it themselves, they are unlikely to forget they've used it and plan their time accordingly (does happen occasionally, I do recall the ref saying you've already used it to players previously, albeit not in this event).

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the US Open format, you can have one extension per rack. If you already used it in that rack, you can't have another extension. It's up to the player to decide when they want to use their extension, and convey that to the scorekeeper or referee.
Are you saying a player would take an intentional foul and not use the extension? That makes no sense. Just give him the extension.

I've seen several of Pat Fleming's "make it happen" events and they were much better run than this fiasco. If Matchroom wants to have the U S Open they should hire some competent people to run the event for them.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you saying a player would take an intentional foul and not use the extension? That makes no sense. Just give him the extension.

I've seen several of Pat Fleming's "make it happen" events and they were much better run than this fiasco. If Matchroom wants to have the U S Open they should hire some competent people to run the event for them.
While it’s something that I would never do, I could see people doing it. Maybe the balls are all funny and the player knows he’s in for a long game. All of a sudden he hears the beeping before making up his mind. On the spot he just decides he’ll use his extension later and just take the foul. Then the ref says “nah, you’re using it now”. It’s not that hard for the players to say “extension”.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Yapp didn't want to win because of a technicalitie! No one wants to win that way!

The ref was doing his job!

Yapp does the same thing would it have been the same way or same result???

Let's at least acknowledge some favoritism for a 5 Time champion is possible....

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it’s something that I would never do, I could see people doing it. Maybe the balls are all funny and the player knows he’s in for a long game. All of a sudden he hears the beeping before making up his mind. On the spot he just decides he’ll use his extension later and just take the foul. Then the ref says “nah, you’re using it now”. It’s not that hard for the players to say “extension”.In that case the player would say he wanted or didn't want the extension.

Shane Van Boening is deaf. He didn't hear the beeping. He disagreed with the referee calling the foul. The referee should have given him the extension. Same English referee who doesn't know how to get a tight rack in 9 ball. If the player runs out of time the referee should ask if he wants an extension. If he says no - which I've never seen - then he gets a foul.

Do you think players should be required to call push? That seems like straight pool where it is call shot but nobody calls every ball when it's obvious. It's obvious when a player pushes. It's obvious the player wants the extension. It's as if these referees are bored so they want to interject themselves into the game. They should also not follow the player around the table. Stand in one place unless there is a situation which calls for a referee - and learn how to rack. Lead official for US Open 9 ball can't rack.

Referees should be there to help the players whenever possible not punish them.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane Van Boening is deaf. He didn't hear the beeping. He disagreed with the referee calling the foul. The referee should have given him the extension. Same English referee who doesn't know how to get a tight rack in 9 ball. If the player runs out of time the referee should ask if he wants an extension. If he says no - which I've never seen - then he gets a foul.

Do you think players should be required to call push? That seems like straight pool where it is call shot but nobody calls every ball when it's obvious. It's obvious when a player pushes. It's obvious the player wants the extension. It's as if these referees are bored so they want to interject themselves into the game. They should also not follow the player around the table. Stand in one place unless there is a situation which calls for a referee - and learn how to rack. Lead official for US Open 9 ball can't rack.

The referee probably doesn't have discretion though. There are some rules that are open to interpretation and as you say racking is a skill that the snooker ref's perhaps haven't had the chance to perfect yet. However its very possible that the extension rule was set in stone by the Tournament Director and that is that. It might not be the ref's fault.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I was thinking the same thing. Why is the referee walking all around the table shot after shot. It's almost as if they want to be on camera. It also can be distracting for the player wondering where the ref is on every shot. I've ref'd many matches where I sat in a high chair off to the side for the entire match, only getting up to watch a close hit. IMO the referee should be as unobtrusive as possible.

I learned long ago that if I did a good job as the TD nobody should notice. It is only when you screw up that anyone notices! ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it when a ref follows a player around like a boxing referee. Unless its a bad hit call or maybe clothes touching cb i think ref's should watch from the corner.
I was thinking the same thing. Why is the referee walking all around the table shot after shot. It's almost as if they want to be on camera. It also can be distracting for the player wondering where the ref is on every shot. I've ref'd many matches where I sat in a high chair off to the side for the entire match, only getting up to watch a close hit. IMO the referee should be as unobtrusive as possible.

I learned long ago that if I did a good job as the TD nobody should notice. It is only when you screw up that anyone notices! ;)