US Open 9-ball updates thread..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
8’ tables have always seemed like a good compromise to me for space and playability. I think most aspects of big table pool remain intact on them, but a good bit is lost on 7’ tables.
I don't disagree with you, because a person who plays great on a 7ft bar table, beats all his friends and other players in the bar, leagues and where ever else they play on 7fts, don't mean they have the same skills on a 9ft, and 9fts have been know to humble even some of the best bar table players. 8fts are either 44×88 or 45×90, or 46×92. And that much closer to the 9ft to transition to a 9ft at times, but not totally.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
But, if you have no other table to practice on, a 7ft will keep you in stroke, I guarantee it. PRACTICE hitting balls, pocketing them, and cue ball control can be worked and improved overall requardless of the size of table you're playing on. American players just like pointing a finger at the 7fts as the downfall of pool in America, instead of taking responsibility for their LACK of practicing to improve their skills in order to compete on the world stage.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In my area, the term barbox refers to when the cabinet is made of plywood. A Diamond Smart Table, or the new Gold Crown coin op prob wouldn't fit the definition of bar box.

Bar Boxes have small shelves, large pockets, and more acute entrance angles on the side pockets compared to regulation tables. This means that the corner pockets in bar boxes often let almost any shot drop! It also means that the side pockets on bar tables are less forgiving than side pockets on a regulation table.Jan 2, 2014

CebuanoNiNoy

Pinoy D Player
Silver Member
The Philippines have 12 finals appearance in the US open yet only won 2 out of 12 (a measly 16.67%). Outstanding finals appearance but very poor finals winning percentage. A 27-year drought coming to an end is a very much welcome news though, for a pool-loving country like ours not to mention pandemic-weary at this point (as many other countries).

On the other note I hope Anton Raga would start appearing on many US tournaments including the US open.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Philippines have 12 finals appearance in the US open yet only won 2 out of 12 (a measly 16.67%). Outstanding finals appearance but very poor finals winning percentage. A 27-year drought coming to an end is a very much welcome news though, for a pool-loving country like ours not to mention pandemic-weary at this point (as many other countries). ...
With Biado's victory, I think the count of wins and finals' appearances in the US Open 9-Ball (Pool) Championship by Filipinos is now:

Excluding Pagulayan -- 2 wins in 13 appearances (15%)​
Including Pagulayan -- 3 win in 15 appearances (20%)​
The first appearance in the finals was with Reyes' win in 1994. 26 events have been held since then, including that one. Counting Pagulayan, a Filipino (2 in 2005) was in the finals in 14 of those 26 events (54%) and won 3 of them (12%).

realkingcobra

Silver Member
With Biado's victory, I think the count of wins and finals' appearances in the US Open 9-Ball (Pool) Championship by Filipinos is now:

Excluding Pagulayan -- 2 wins in 13 appearances (15%)​
Including Pagulayan -- 3 win in 15 appearances (20%)​
The first appearance in the finals was with Reyes' win in 1994. 26 events have been held since then, including that one. Counting Pagulayan, a Filipino (2 in 2005) was in the finals in 14 of those 26 events (54%) and won 3 of them (12%).
AND, since 2006 only 2 Americans have won the US Open 9B event, John Schmidt in 2006, and SVB 5X since then.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of home style tables, the bodies of the table are made out of MDF or plywood.
I completely understand that Glenn. But my point is not all 7 foot tables should be considered Bar Boxes... For instance the Diamond Pro-Am, the smart table, and probably the new gold crown. I don't think I could in good conscience call any one of them a bar box.

Bar Boxes were always Valleys, Dynamos, and the old United. These three tables have one thing in common... The rails are attached to the cabinet, not the slate.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I completely understand that Glenn. But my point is not all 7 foot tables should be considered Bar Boxes... For instance the Diamond Pro-Am, the smart table, and probably the new gold crown. I don't think I could in good conscience call any one of them a bar box.

Bar Boxes were always Valleys, Dynamos, and the old United. These three tables have one thing in common... The rails are attached to the cabinet, not the slate.
But what about the coin operated pool tables built by Quality Billiards, Global, Thea Billiards, they all had feather stripped rails? Like I said, if its coin operated, its a bar box, no matter what size it is.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny, but you claim to run more racks than the best players in the US Open 9B event could display, live!
7 pack was a good crown with 5 inch buckets ....I was playing a lot then.

Once you are playing good and have a controlled break, running 3 or 4 just leads to occasionally longer runs.

Far as 8 ball bar table on a valley...that's not all that difficult....long as you get a shot after the break.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Texas, Montana, Washington have more 8fts than 7fts.
Yeah, they do, so what, nothing of note is played on 8 footers...

I remember how surprised I was when I went to the Waco open and they were having it on 8 footers. I've played all over the country and there's nothing worth anything played on 8 footers. It's either "barbox" 7 footers or 9 footers.

White diamonds is arguably the biggest money tourney in the country when you count the calcutta and it's played on barboxes...BY ANYONE'S definition of barbox.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
🤔 I wonder if there are countries in Asia, where most bar tables are 8ft, producing world beating pool players.
Hey, I don't think we should be playing anything big on anything other than 9 or ten footers. My favorite tables in order are: 10 foot diamond blue label, 9 foot diamond blue label/Ernesto tightened gold crown, 9 foot gold crown, any other 9 foot, diamond red label 9 foot, diamond blue label 7 foot, any other 7 foot.

9 foot blue label and an Ernesto/Oscar tightened gold crown are a toss up IMO. I don't like 9 foot red labels because of the way they bank. There isn't as big a difference in the way a 7 foot red label and a 7 foot blue label banks as there is in the 9 footers so I don't mind them as much as a 9 foot red label.

When I played on the ten foot blue label in Kansas city, that became my favorite table. I'd play on that all day long. I also liked the old 10 foot in hmmm. where is it. Somewhere in the midwest, pretty famous pool hall, you go down stairs to get to the pool hall... It'll come to me.

Jaden

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I don't think we should be playing anything big on anything other than 9 or ten footers. My favorite tables in order are: 10 foot diamond blue label, 9 foot diamond blue label/Ernesto tightened gold crown, 9 foot gold crown, any other 9 foot, diamond red label 9 foot, diamond blue label 7 foot, any other 7 foot.

9 foot blue label and an Ernesto/Oscar tightened gold crown are a toss up IMO. I don't like 9 foot red labels because of the way they bank. There isn't as big a difference in the way a 7 foot red label and a 7 foot blue label banks as there is in the 9 footers so I don't mind them as much as a 9 foot red label.

When I played on the ten foot blue label in Kansas city, that became my favorite table. I'd play on that all day long. I also liked the old 10 foot in hmmm. where is it. Somewhere in the midwest, pretty famous pool hall, you go down stairs to get to the pool hall... It'll come to me.

Jaden
I don't understand how this relates to the post (mine) that it appears to be a response to

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I don't understand how this relates to the post (mine) that it appears to be a response to
Ok then, maybe I gave your post too much credit for high level thought then. It seemed to me that it was tongue in cheek stating that there WEREN'T any countries overseas using the smaller tables and producing high quality players. I was commenting based on that supposition.

Jaden