US Open Miscue The Game

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
No.....NO....practice tables.
None Period.
In golf majors, players working on their ''swing'' before play is a given.
Need I say more!!!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None Period.
Need I say more!!!!

Pretty much the same at the DCC.

If you're lucky you might grab a table for a few minutes at the conclusion of someone else's match but basically you need to go prepared for instant ignition.

Lou Figueroa

middleofnowhere

Registered
None Period.
Need I say more!!!!
That number of players it would be impossible to manage.
On another note, If you are who I am thinking, I split a cab with you and Bill Amadao once at the Reds tournament in Houston.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the DCC you can play 3 different events, which means you get to hit a lot of balls. You can warm up before your match if you want, and often there is an open table you can use for a few minutes here and there. I've never felt that I was iced at DCC.

The US Open not only didn't have an opportunity to practice, they had a rule against it. Even if you were at your table with 20 minutes to kill, they wouldn't let you hit balls to warm up. They were enforcing a two minute limit.

I'm not complaining, I'm just clarifying that this was not similar to anything else that's been run. With Matchroom there are many situations where people accept things "For the greater good". It wasn't a big issue for me, but it was definitely different.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Most real Sports allow player to warm up, stretch, pitch, shoot, throw, hit balls.

Good reason to not go to DCC.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anything, this just proves Matchroom wasn't trying to stack the deck in Trump's favor.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was one practice table between the tournament desk and the commentators' platform. It did not have lights (other than the room lights) and was not usually being used for practice. I did see six or so players practicing and there were surely more when I wasn't around.

Practice time could have been organized but that would have been an additional effort and hassle and staff time.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
OK. Somebody please explain to me why practice should be disallowed. (?)
I like the idea of making it slightly harder for the players, if all are affected equally. Very hard to enforce equal non-practice for all, all the time, though. More mistakes (maybe) make for better viewing.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea of making it slightly harder for the players, if all are affected equally. Very hard to enforce equal non-practice for all, all the time, though. More mistakes (maybe) make for better viewing.
I think more mistakes tend to reinforce the corporate work ethic - the brainwashing that you should accept the bad and shake it off and keep struggling. Creates drama I suppose but I'd like see pool brought closer to fine art; superior performances by all involved.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that this is so for the pros, but some of the "penny ante" tournaments I go to, some guys want to practice the whole time before their match. Wont let anyone else get some swings in on the limited practice tables they have. I dont worry about it. I usually beat those guys anyway.
Getting in stroke is 99% mental anyway. I spend my time before a match grooming the mental side. Put the earbuds in, get relaxed, and listen to subliminal messages or self hypnosis recordings. Some of you may think its garbage, but I assure you I dont go to the table tense or apprehensive. My percentages show my best chance for a B&R (8 ball) is the first or second game.

Reactions: Pin

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob was right, there was a table in the dark that some players got to hit balls on. That was reserved for those warming up for the TV table. Anyone else was quickly kicked off.

I don't understand some of these other responses. Yes, it is equal for all. But many of these replies are very callous and lack empathy for the players. If these posters had invested $1,500 for entry and hotel, plus lost wages for taking a week off work, and were preparing to play against a world class opponent for four figure differences in prize money, on tables that have new cloth that play quite a bit different than 99% of what they shoot on in pool rooms, all while their heart was beating fast and their arm was shaky, they might actually like to hit a rack of balls before they lag for the break. Not hogging the table for 30 minutes or any ridiculous straw man argument, but just a few shots to calm down, take deep breaths, connect with the table, and let the arm loosen and start feeling the balls a little bit.

I swear if a tournament director made a rule that all players had to play with one piece Dufferin house cues and the players didn't like it, half of the members here would argue against them just to pick a fight.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agreed that this doesn't make sense. Taking steps to helping ensure a high level of play is in the best interests of giving the viewing fans a better professional product. No doubt, there were some logistical issues surrounding allowing free form practice, but there must be a way to accommodate some warm up time for the players.

That said, practice was permitted on the outer tables toward the end, when not that many tables were being used for matches, If memory serves, this was only for the top forty eight finishers on Day 4 and Day 5. Of course, the outer tables were eventually removed to accommodate set up of the bleachers.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Bob was right, there was a table in the dark that some players got to hit balls on. That was reserved for those warming up for the TV table. Anyone else was quickly kicked off.

I don't understand some of these other responses. Yes, it is equal for all. But many of these replies are very callous and lack empathy for the players. If these posters had invested $1,500 for entry and hotel, plus lost wages for taking a week off work, and were preparing to play against a world class opponent for four figure differences in prize money, on tables that have new cloth that play quite a bit different than 99% of what they shoot on in pool rooms, all while their heart was beating fast and their arm was shaky, they might actually like to hit a rack of balls before they lag for the break. Not hogging the table for 30 minutes or any ridiculous straw man argument, but just a few shots to calm down, take deep breaths, connect with the table, and let the arm loosen and start feeling the balls a little bit.

I swear if a tournament director made a rule that all players had to play with one piece Dufferin house cues and the players didn't like it, half of the members here would argue against them just to pick a fight.

Boy aint the truth!!!!!!
I think a lot of members are here just to argue.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do recall, not sure if it was bca or napa, the crowd of one or two was getting into it, I was practicing super thin cuts into side pocket, fell'er came up to the table and said, 'son!, ya no u can't be practa-sin. happen to be my next whoop'n.

Having never been there - handling the logistics of a tournament, putting everything a side, if there's 20 minutes between the end and start of a match I'd set up a 15 ball rack of 3 colors with the objective being the next contenders are ready, in place - in 5 minutes the snap of whip, they get 2 lags, best results break, each player shoots till they make one ball of each color, +1 for each, -1 for each miss, once the three are made the contender gets their chance, play till all balls gone - in 15 minutes or less.

...oh, look for me Dan_B on the side, I'd be taking bets on who wins the lag, points, misses, last potted colour and overall winner. Winner gets the break on the upcoming match,
shouldn't be any problem...