Beating a top 100 player in the world???

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played 4 players that are in top 100 list and managed beat 3 of them. I also lost to them more often than win. All Finnish pros. Lost to Alex Pagulaian 8-13 on WPS 8-ball event back in 2017. We played some 30$ per rack one pocket vs Pagu too and played even. Games went 2-2. That was nice. Then i challenged Orcollo too but he went god mode after 2-2 and quicly ran 3 times 8 n out from my good safe... Then i quit.. :D

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I beat Efren a race to 5 for $50.

I've beaten Oscar Dominguez, Ernesto Dominguez, and Max Eberle in tournament play.

I beat Morro Paez the year after he finished 2nd in the World 9-Ball Championship.

I beat Danny Medina for $.

I got Jose Parica on three fouls once. 😃 (I lost the match 9-6.)

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I would guess less than ten. Three current players that come to mind are Donnie Mills, Blaine Barcus, Ernesto Bayaua

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many players that post here on AZ billiards do you think can say they've beaten a top 100 player in the world in competition without a spot coming into play???? I'm honestly curious.

Jaden

p.s. feel free to chime in if you have.
Does a few racks on a barbox count??

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think the number is more like 50 or more if we go back to AZ’s beginning.

Think of it this way. If you asked the same question on FB, what would the number be? Well AZB was the only social media outlet for pool players for a good 10 years.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I would say the number is well over 100, I'm gonna say 163.

I have beaten Lars Kuckherm and Alex Lely in a tournament match (they were fairly short races, but still tournament play) and even though neither are in the current top 100 Fargo they sure could be and I probably play close to 600 Fargorate speed. I am sure there are many hundreds if not thousands of members here that play stronger then myself.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not only asking players who have to chime in. I would like to know how many the people who haven't done so THINK have done so. IOW, I'm asking anyone or everyone to chime in on how many regular posters here they THINK have beaten a top 100 player without a spot.
Jaden
You really should distinguish between "beaten while wide awake" or "beaten while dreaming".
In the latter context I've nailed Mosconi at 14.1 and Efren at 9-ball hundreds of times.

And the spectators hounding me for an autograph? -- fuggeddaboutit. I always need six tush hogs around me just to get out of the building. Then the fans follow me like paparazzi to the airport. Elvis played me in the Broadway musical, then the film.

My wife always shakes me awake. Once I did notice that I had chalked my fingers blue while sleeping.

Arnaldo

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
You really should distinguish between "beaten while wide awake" or "beaten while dreaming".
In the latter context I've nailed Mosconi at 14.1 and Efren at 9-ball hundreds of times.

And the spectators hounding me for an autograph? -- fuggeddaboutit. I always need six tush hogs around me just to get out of the building. Then the fans follow me like paparazzi to the airport. Elvis played me in the Broadway musical, then the film.

My wife always shakes me awake. Once I did notice that I had chalked my fingers blue while sleeping.

Arnaldo
That wasn't saying how many AZ posters THINK that they PERSONALLY beat a top 100 player (I would hope that if you had you would KNOW it and not just THINK it). I was asking posters to answer how many OTHER posters do THEY think have ACTUALLY, AWAKE, beaten a top 100 player in competition.

I know the vast majority of posters have never had the opportunity to PLAY a top 100 player, let alone beat them. I was just curious what the posters on here think of the abilities of the other posters on here and what level of play regular posters here may be capable of.

Jaden

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does one pocket count? In race to 3 matches I’ve got about five notches and one other gambling before I knew who he was, then he asked me for weight🤣

chandler1968

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best wins for myself have been Matlock 2X in Midwest 9 Ball and the only time I played in DCC i beat Chohan (2003). Along with Gatz i am Fargo 700ish

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Ok that's fine. Let's exclude the pros. I know of at least two non-pros who regularly post here who have.

Jaden
Depends on how you define "regularly post", but if along with near daily posters you also include posters that post more on and off but that people recognize their AzB screen name when they see their posts (some of them are near daily posters though), then in a few seconds I thought of about 8 or so where either I could personally verify they have done it or where it could be verified through publicly available tournament bracket charts and the like, and if I gave it some more thought I'm thinking I could probably come up with a dozen or more. And obviously there has got to be many, many times that amount that I am not aware of, so it is a decent number, but I agree with your point that percentage wise, it is a very small number.

Geosnookery

I’ve never lost to a top 100 American pool player …ever. Scouts honour.

I’ve lost to about 15 or so Snooker players who have been in the top 128 rankings at some time….won about 20% of Snooker frames against them. However haven’t played a past ranking player in over a decade.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played 4 players that are in top 100 list and managed beat 3 of them. I also lost to them more often than win. All Finnish pros. Lost to Alex Pagulaian 8-13 on WPS 8-ball event back in 2017. We played some 30$ per rack one pocket vs Pagu too and played even. Games went 2-2. That was nice. Then i challenged Orcollo too but he went god mode after 2-2 and quicly ran 3 times 8 n out from my good safe... Then i quit.. :D
oops. I forgot 2 out from list. played 6 players total from 100 list. Lost to Kaci race to 6 100$ 10ball 3-6(5 pack to Kaci from flip) and Jayson Shaw banks 0-3 DDC first round.. i was totally worn out from car drive from New York and could not hit anything yet..
Btw. Makkonen did beat me 2 year period 7 times in row. 6 times he played 1000 TPA match. Never heard anyone do it. He did not miss ball vs me in 2 years. Not single ball. Then i see him dogging on streamed matches all over world lol...
When i finally beat him again he ran 7 run outs race to 10 but he lost... He was so pissed. I played that set pretty sporty too ;)

Earlier strong players mention too.
I was long break from playing due rheumatism but early 2000 i played 2 eurotours that were in FInland. I then came 9th and 33rd. I did beat Rico Diks 9-8 who was european champ back then and strong favorite on any eurotour. and lost 8-9 to Alex Lely.. dogged my chance on hill hill. Also lost to Shannon Daulton DCC one pocket 6th round 2-3 on last ball. It was cruel. Cyclop shit cueball rolled off on last ball safe situtation and he get easy game ball. He said he played last shot that way that i had to roll it and cueball could roll off. He said he did same to Corey Deuel. You can be sure i never will play cyclops again unless i really have to. I saw hustlers had Aramith Measles on their pockets 24h gaming room.. haha
Also lost to (now ex) main tour (inside top 64 and one time ranking event winner) snooker player on semifinal snooker open 2-3 in last balls.

Last edited:
Reactions: VVP

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many players that post here on AZ billiards do you think can say they've beaten a top 100 player in the world in competition without a spot coming into play???? I'm honestly curious.

Jaden

p.s. feel free to chime in if you have.
Hey jaden. I’ve been Corey deuel in a local pool tournament. It was only a race to three. I’ve also beat morro paez in a race to 5 local tournament. Not long races and I got pretty lucky. To answer your question I would thing about 5-10 have beaten a too 100 player in competition in this forum

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Nice to know I’m surrounded in equal talent here in the az world. I once beat the number 28th gal wpba ranked in tournament play. Now I can’t beat a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Without a spot coming into play" is a weird way to phrase the question as handicapped matches at the very least have a psychological effect.