Beating a top 100 player in the world???

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I beat a grandmaster at chess once...I conned him by bumbling the set up....he loosened up...
...I got a major piece up and traded him down...and won.

I made the mistake of playing a second game.....

DutchPool

Registered
I've beaten Marco Teutscher (Fargorate 786, nr. 64) and Ivar Saris (Fargorate 774, nr. 94) a few times in friday night tournaments in our local poolroom (short races & lost way more times to both :)), also played Niels Feijen a couple of times...never beat him though ;)

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread shows something that is easy to see if you look. Ever since the pool world has seen fit to play Simonis cloth everywhere anyone has a shot ever if you are no where near the class of the player you are shooting against. Follow everything. Bump out. That and some of the best players don't play unless the cash is right.
If the game was on SLOW cloth this 100 best players would be maybe 3 best players because the skill and power needed has left the building. And most likely it would be 3 tiny Asians and a Texan crushing everything in sight.
Pool is not pool any more. It is like Pro golfers playing chip and put.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beat a grandmaster at chess once...I conned him by bumbling the set up....he loosened up...
...I got a major piece up and traded him down...and won.

I made the mistake of playing a second game.....
Your chess story reminds me off this...

As a relatively new pool player, I played in the US Open One Pocket tourney one year in Michigan in the late 90's. I was kind of an oddity as a young player because I sort of started out watching and playing quite a bit of one-pocket, so I actually could move pretty well. So I draw Ike Runnels in the first or second round, I can't really remember which, but I know it wasn't the finals ;) Anyway, he plays me really tight and we exchange moves while keeping the cue ball on the foot end of the table and he keeps selling out, leaving me easy outs. I get up two or three to zero, I can't remember which but I know it wasn't four. Anyway, he finally figures out that I wasn't nearly the straight shooter he initially thought I was and he started leaving me up at the head of the table. So what happens? I start selling out and he fights his way back. Now I don't remember the final score, but I know I lost. The end.

Last edited:

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only claim is that I beat Charlie Williams (about 10 years ago... he was probably top 100 then), in a race to 3 (9ball) at the Predator both in Vegas.

Actually beat him 3-0 and 3 fouled him for the win :)

A local, Jason Robicheau, beat Thorsten Holmann in a tournament 7-6 in a fairly big tournament.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the current FargoRate top 100, I’ve beaten Justin Bergman in the Windy City Classic, but he was still on the rise probably not even in high school at the time lol. I beat Sky out of a few bucks as well which I was pleased as punch about.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only claim is that I beat Charlie Williams (about 10 years ago... he was probably top 100 then), in a race to 3 (9ball) at the Predator both in Vegas.

Actually beat him 3-0 and 3 fouled him for the win :)

A local, Jason Robicheau, beat Thorsten Holmann in a tournament 7-6 in a fairly big tournament.

Oh that reminds me about Vegas and such. I beat Mika in a race to 3 in 10 ball at one of the shows and also beat Mike Massey at a Meucci booth in a race to 2. Although I'm pretty sure Mika gave me one of those games, he missed a shot I'm pretty sure he would not miss 99% of the time.

There are actually more people on here that beat good players I thought there would be, but I also forget that there are quite a few very good players that post here, especially from Europe, that are in the 700 Fargo range themselves.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh that reminds me about Vegas and such. I beat Mika in a race to 3 in 10 ball at one of the shows and also beat Mike Massey at a Meucci booth in a race to 2. Although I'm pretty sure Mika gave me one of those games, he missed a shot I'm pretty sure he would not miss 99% of the time.

There are actually more people on here that beat good players I thought there would be, but I also forget that there are quite a few very good players that post here, especially from Europe, that are in the 700 Fargo range themselves.

If you play the top players often enough you are gonna notch a few wins. Your loss rate may be far bigger than your win rate but you will never know unless you run with the big dogs. Talk to an A player or Shortstop that plays the road players passing through and they have all had their day(s).

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread shows something that is easy to see if you look. Ever since the pool world has seen fit to play Simonis cloth everywhere anyone has a shot ever if you are no where near the class of the player you are shooting against. Follow everything. Bump out. That and some of the best players don't play unless the cash is right.
If the game was on SLOW cloth this 100 best players would be maybe 3 best players because the skill and power needed has left the building. And most likely it would be 3 tiny Asians and a Texan crushing everything in sight.
Good point here. The game has sure changed. During my generation, we used to always include who has the most powerful stroke when talking about the best players. I knew I would never get to the top because I couldn't do some things with the cue ball that the best players were able to do. My stroke was maybe only 50% of theirs. Consequently my shot selection was more limited if that makes sense.

I'm certain there are a lot of guys on here who play better than me now that I might have been competitve with 20 years ago. Last time I played my real speed was when I owned my last poolroom. It closed in January, 2005 and I basically quit playing after that. I came back and cashed in a couple of tournaments (U.S. Bar Table and Seniors tourney), but I was playing 75% speed at best. I had one big win over Frank The Barber who had been my nemisis when we were youngun's. I got a little fired up to play him again after all these years. :)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some more nostalgia about the good old days....that weren’t so good.
Better conditions favor the better players. The old thick cloth kept the balls airborne at a good speed....
...and you had to hit them at a good speed on those horse blankets.

Many of the better rooms had fine cloth....I played some 9-ball and some snooker on carom cloth back then.
....you‘ve all heard of the Rack in Detroit.....Gil Elias used to be a tournament 3-cushion player...
...all that big action there in the 70s was played on Granito cloth that was faster than 760 Simonis.
.....and there was lots of 760 by then also.

They‘re running lots more centuries in England since they went to finer cloth and heated slate...
....does that make them a bunch of pussies?

...maybe y’all would like them to stop mowing the greens at PGA tournaments.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not agree. British open. Crap conditions for example. You can run 15 racks on fast cloth and not be able to get 4 on slow cloth if that. That is the reason 10 ball is the new 9ball. Players complain whenever they have to compete on slow cloth let alone humid slow sloth where you can not use spin and make anything if it is a rainy day with a 19 oz cue. But if you could play and almost none of the to 15 maybe 3 could still get out. Why. Power. When you go to everyone in the tournament can run straight out the door it is because the game is too easy period. My buddys that played in that sham of a $1,000.000 Treadue deal would come back bitching about slow cloth. They were world beaters. The same guys won. They couldn't compete.
Most today couldn't compete,
Nick :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... ...maybe y’all would like them to stop mowing the greens at PGA tournaments.
They mow the greens now?!? When did that start? I remember when we needed bacon grease on the balls and bloodhounds for putting.

But seriously, folks, I think the top 100 now are a lot more skilled than the top 100 in 1960. The skill set is slightly different and that seems to bother some people.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
They mow the greens now?!? When did that start? I remember when we needed bacon grease on the balls and bloodhounds for putting.

But seriously, folks, I think the top 100 now are a lot more skilled than the top 100 in 1960. The skill set is slightly different and that seems to bother some people.
For sure. I think maybe the top 10 from the 60s could compete, but I don't think there's even a question that the top 100 today are better than the top 100 from any other time in history.

Jaden