CF shafts and spin

dendweller

Hi
Wondered if I could get some input on cf shafts. I took a couple shots with a predator revo last night and I liked the way it hit, just felt like a solid hitting cue. Didn't hear any funny pings or anything, then again, my hearing isn't great.
I've read write ups on them saying they put more spin on the ball, allow you to get around the table with less effort than an average maple shaft.
I'm wondering if people that have them find that to be true.
Also, any other advantage they see in them.
Thanks for any input.
Joe

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've read write ups on them saying they put more spin on the ball
Nope. They might transfer a little more energy to the CB, but that doesn't translate to "more spin". "More spin" in pool means higher spin-to-speed ratio, which is only produced by hitting farther from center. More energy transfer hitting the same distance from center produces more spin and more speed in the same ratio as before - so no "more spin".

pj
chgo

Last edited:

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with the REVO wasn't what I had hoped for. It has tons of power and spin, and the deflection is certainly low, but I had a lot of trouble getting any touch or feel with the REVO shafts. I then moved to the Cuetec Cynergy, which isn't quite as stiff and has a very different front-end build. I would say it deflects about 2% more than the REVO, but that little bit of defelction is only at the extremes and was helpful in shaping my ball and creating an angle when I needed to. For me, the Cynergy (out of all the carbon shafts) plays the closest to an ultra low-deflection maple shaft, but it eliminates the consistency issues inherent to wood. It doesn't ding, plays the same in hot and cold environments, the finish is the best of all the CF options, tip changes are easy since it has a ferrule, and transfers a bit more energy than wood. I'm thrilled with my Cynergy 12.5.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi
Wondered if I could get some input on cf shafts. I took a couple shots with a predator revo last night and I liked the way it hit, just felt like a solid hitting cue. Didn't hear any funny pings or anything, then again, my hearing isn't great.
I've read write ups on them saying they put more spin on the ball, allow you to get around the table with less effort than an average maple shaft.
I'm wondering if people that have them find that to be true.
Also, any other advantage they see in them.
Thanks for any input.
Joe

Take a few more shots with it, with spin and see what you think.

When I use mine I do find I can get more action from the cueball than with other shafts, as you already read, so really you will get the same info you already have.

Nyquil

You can get some serious action with the revo I had to draw down my power on shots. I think it depends on what you are comparing it to (also what diameter revo) If you have a high end maple shaft you may not notice a ton of difference tbh. The whole reason I wanted one to is I don't have to worry about warping. Climate changes don't impact play over time and its super slick and very easy to wipe down with an alcohol wipe. Absolutely nothing wrong with a well sorted maple shaft but I doubt I am ever going back. I also don't get the ting unless I am low on chalk on the tip (good audible reminder imo). I play with a radial which I heard helps mitigate this ting issue. Not sure on that as I don't have a uni loc quick release to compare. The lock up between the cue and shaft is super snug def not coming loose during play. I got a couple of test hits in with the cynergy and it shot really well. Everyone has their own preferences but both are excellent imo.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I've always had a pretty decent stroke and switched from a very good wood LD to Ignite carbon shaft.

For me the best way to describe it is that the energy transfer to the cueball is more efficient with the carbon shaft. The maximum amount of power I can put into a shot hasn't changed too much (but it has improved) but mostly it is easier to get those medium powered shots done with the carbon shaft for me.

I can honestly say it has improved my game a couple %

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with the REVO wasn't what I had hoped for. It has tons of power and spin, and the deflection is certainly low, but I had a lot of trouble getting any touch or feel with the REVO shafts. I then moved to the Cuetec Cynergy, which isn't quite as stiff and has a very different front-end build. I would say it deflects about 2% more than the REVO, but that little bit of defelction is only at the extremes and was helpful in shaping my ball and creating an angle when I needed to. For me, the Cynergy (out of all the carbon shafts) plays the closest to an ultra low-deflection maple shaft, but it eliminates the consistency issues inherent to wood. It doesn't ding, plays the same in hot and cold environments, the finish is the best of all the CF options, tip changes are easy since it has a ferrule, and transfers a bit more energy than wood. I'm thrilled with my Cynergy 12.5.
I can't compare the Cynergy to the Revo, because I haven't used the Revo. I have played with the Cynergy for almost 2 years. I think 9ballhasbeen gave a very good description of the Cynergy.

I used to play with a maple shaft, and I am still getting used to the CF. However, when I first hit a ball with the Cynergy, I asked myself, "If I got comfortable with the deflection profile of this cue, would it be improve to my game versus staying with the maple shaft I was comfortable with?" In my view, the only honest answer is that the CF offers several advantages over regular maple shafts, so I stuck with it.

I am happy with my decision.

kollegedave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some shafts might do opposite though. I had Mezz that i could not get spin what i was used to any other cue.. sold it.

dendweller

As far as the Cynergy goes, I saw one online review where the guy liked the shaft a lot but was concerned about the black residue he was getting on his alcohol wipes when he wiped it down. Do you guys get that and do you know what it is?
Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as the Cynergy goes, I saw one online review where the guy liked the shaft a lot but was concerned about the black residue he was getting on his alcohol wipes when he wiped it down. Do you guys get that and do you know what it is?
Thanks
Probably loose carbon fibers. It stops after a while.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you're saying Dr. Dave has no idea what he is talking about? That is a laughable statement.

How do you test for low deflection?
Every one i've tried so far has been lower than maple, some much lower in deflection. The newer 11.8mm shafts are as close to zero as physically possible. Some people just hate them. They are neither gimmicks or a fad. They are the future.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Been playing with two custom made wooden LD shafts now, for about a yr, still don't have cue ball/obj. ball feel that I had for decades.

I've chosen to get two new maple shafts made, then sell both my wooden LD 5/16 14 pin shafts as soon as I get the two new shafts finished.
It also took me a little time to remember that the 4 ball is no longer PURPLE in some of the newer ball sets.
If anyone wants to purchase my Carmelli Cue custom made shafts, they will be for sale soon.
Only catch, you have to buy both at the same time.
Total $620 and I'll pay the shipping.
PM me if there's interest.

bm

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
yes I have tried CF shafts... I also make them....... they are as stiff as a piece of iron and do not bend or flex........... when you hit the cue ball off center to the left or right........ the shaft does not deflect much at all....... they depends on how tight you are holding it in your bridge hand........... the cue ball deflects a greater mount than the shaft............ and you must account for that in your aiming when using side spin................ again:::: anyone that says a CF shaft has low deflection............. has no idea what they are talking about