CF shafts and spin

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not going to look or sound foolish-this time.

I don’t have a clue about CF shafts. Never hit a ball with one.

keeping it real since day one,
Fatboy😀

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hahahhaahahaha............ look in the mirror
You're the one that ignores facts. Almost every single thing you've stated on here regarding lo-deflect. shafts is utter bullshit. Don't take my(or others here) words for it, contact Predator and talk to them. The hows/whys of lo-deflect. shafts have been clearly demonstrated not only in testing but in actual play. Just curious, did you even watch the video of the cf shaft getting out of the way after contact? Pretty clear evidence that even a fairly stiff shaft with a light enough front end can be low-deflection.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some reasons people might think this, but it is not true in general. For more info, see:

Carbon fiber shafts do offer advantages, per the info and demonstrations here:

Don't own a cf shaft but i've tried most of them. I've never seen this 'double hit' you mention. I've gone way out on the cb and still didn't see it. Totally agree on deflection properties of various cf shafts. All were less deflect. than solid wood but some are waaay less, especially the smaller(12mm and less) diameter models. The 11.8 Cynergy is the closest i've seen to no deflection which of course is not possible.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never seen this 'double hit' you mention. I've gone way out the cb and still didn't see it.

I have not seen this either with any current commercially-available CF shafts, but I have also not tested for it carefully. The next time I have access to a good high-speed camera, I'll do some tests with the CF shafts I have. Regardless, if the effect did occur (with a really stiff CF shaft), it would occur only with shots very close to the miscue limit.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Just trying to understand that statement.

''it's not true in general''.

So when ''is it true''?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
What's wrong with the 12.9Revo? I'd call that full size. It already has thinner walls than the 12.4 to get the mass down. Don't know how thin you could go before durability becomes a problem. I don't see Z-type deflection in a 12.75-13mm cf shaft happening. 12.2-12.5 is probably as close as you'll see.
Nothing wrong with 12.9 Revo. The amount of control over the CF weave, versus wood manufacturing makes it possible for manufacturers to dial in more precisely the wall taper need for lower deflection index. In the past, you had to go to sub 12mm, like the z shaft. Dr. Dave in one of his Revo test videos showed it had Z level of LD.

I see too many people make the assumption any made from CF is naturally lower deflection and passing misinformation. I remember when 314 and OB1 came out, many on AZ mistakenly assumed the lamination was the reason for LD, not the hollowed out shaft that Clawson patented.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with 12.9 Revo. The amount of control over the CF weave, versus wood manufacturing makes it possible for manufacturers to dial in more precisely the wall taper need for lower deflection index. In the past, you had to go to sub 12mm, like the z shaft. Dr. Dave in one of his Revo test videos showed it had Z level of LD.
For those interested, here's the video:

JTB51

I make and sell CF shafts and it seems that people that didn’t have a LD shaft before have a harder time adjusting to it. And customers that have had a LD adjust much faster. I started with a Revo and now I make and sell my own and people can’t find any difference.

Hi
Wondered if I could get some input on cf shafts. I took a couple shots with a predator revo last night and I liked the way it hit, just felt like a solid hitting cue. Didn't hear any funny pings or anything, then again, my hearing isn't great.
I've read write ups on them saying they put more spin on the ball, allow you to get around the table with less effort than an average maple shaft.
I'm wondering if people that have them find that to be true.
Also, any other advantage they see in them.
Thanks for any input.
Joe
I bought my new Predator with the revo from the Predator group. They said I had 30 days to decide if I wanted to keep the Revo or go to the 314-3. During that 30 days I also had the Cenergy carbon fiber shaft on my other Predator so for 30 days I switches back and forth between the two shafts. I like the Cenergy much better. It has a better looking finish and the short white Ferrell. The Revo finish looks rough and the shaft is noisy when using a lot of english. I ecpermented with deflection. The Revo had a little less deflection but not enough to really make a difference. Maybe you can find someone that will let you try theirs. Other advantages is no nicks and it's always smooth. As far as moving around the table it takes less effort but the 314-3 isn't far behind the Carbon fiber shafts and way ahead of a standard maple shaft. Personally if I didn't have the Cenergy, I would rather play with the 314-3 than the Revo.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
step back and think who told you that CF shafts are low deflection............... the people selling them........... duh

VVP

Registered
I just got my Revo 12.4 mm shaft and it's a keeper! I played with a 314-3 before and I found that I didn't need any "adjustment period." The shaft is definitely more accurate so I have nothing else to blame for my misses now 😁