Shoot outs SUCK!

JC

Coos Cues
If the top players are AWOL that basically tells the promoter what to do with his money. IF this format is supposed to generate interest from fans how long will CSI/Predator/Fargo ride this shootout dog without the very best players? SVB is the US's Tiger Woods of pool. If you were a promoter would you adopt some gimmick rule/format that basically guarantees his non-participation?
Fly in and spend a week in a hotel. Compete against several dozen other players who can defeat you at any given time.

Win $4500 if you get in the top 4. Chicken scratch if you don't. Extrapolate this scenario over a year's time. Pretty damned sad is what it is.

Pool is not a professional sport. I'm not sure what it is but it ain't that. It's tougher than growing lettuce in 1930's Oklahoma.

Props to the Michigan welder Jeremy Seamon in the final 8. One spot shot away from sending an 800 fargo "Pro" packing.

I think you have to love pool and hate a day job in equal measures to even consider going "pro" in pool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fly in and spend a week in a hotel. Compete against several dozen other players who can defeat you at any given time.

Win $4500 if you get in the top 4. Chicken scratch if you don't. Extrapolate this scenario over a year's time. Pretty damned sad is what it is.

Pool is not a professional sport. I'm not sure what it is but it ain't that. It's tougher than growing lettuce in 1930's Oklahoma.

Props to the Michigan welder Jeremy Seamon in the final 8. One spot shot away from sending an 800 fargo "Pro" packing.

I think you have to love pool and hate a day job in equal measures to even consider going "pro" in pool.
Just curious but how is it not a 'professional' sport? They are playing for $(i agree not tons of it) so what in your estimation would make it truly professional? There are more events that pay-out decent $ now than since the Camel Pro days. You gotta cover some real-estate to chase it down but its out there.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There's more to this than embracing a new format. Here on the forum, most of us applauded Matchroom when they pushed the envelope at the Predator LCP event. Most took note of the fact that the format used in that event was a novelty and that as a once a year event, it had a place. We all noted that there were some inherent inequities in determination of the last eight, but there were no inequities in the Stage 2 round robin. Every match, from the beginning of the event to the end of it, was decided by playing nine ball.

When an event oscillates between ten ball competition and spot shot competition, it becomes ridiculous. I really want to see this new tour succeed, and perhaps some fans will embrace the new format. Perhaps the pros who choose to skip these events despite good prize funds will come around, but if they don't and these events don't draw elite fields, one must wonder whether the business model for these events will prove sustainable long term.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This statement basically sums up the format.
I like that a relative unknown got his shot but without a steady dose of the top players at each event its gonna be tough for this to survive. If i'm a local promoter and i know going in that some of the game's biggest names won't play why bother?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that a relative unknown got his shot but without a steady dose of the top players at each event its gonna be tough for this to survive. If i'm a local promoter and i know going in that some of the game's biggest names won't play why bother?
A spot shot away from beating DeLuna is a joke.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He had to play pretty good to get that far. I'm not overly impressed with DeLuna's game. Tries the 'hero shot' way too often imo.
I'd like to see Seaman's overall games won-loss record. The fact that he almost beat an 800 rated player because of the spot shot format is absurd.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see Seaman's overall games won-loss record. The fact that he almost beat an 800 rated player because of the spot shot format is absurd.
I don't like it either but he did win a set. One thing about this deal is there is ZERO time to dog it. If Gomez is so good he should have won both sets. There will be upsets if the top dogs don't come out of the gate strong.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like it either but he did win a set. One thing about this deal is there is ZERO time to dog it. If Gomez is so good he should have won both sets. There will be upsets if the top dogs don't come out of the gate strong.
True, but anything can happen in a short race, early 10B format. The same can be said for the other higher rated players that lost to lower rated opponents. I don't care what anyone says, the format caters to giving the weaker players more of a chance to win.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, but anything can happen in a short race, early 10B format. The same can be said for the other higher rated players that lost to lower rated opponents. I don't care what anyone says, the format caters to giving the weaker players more of a chance to win.
I tend to agree but its not playing out exactly like that. Looks to me like the format is generating a pseudo 'illusion' that the weaker players see as a 'i gotta shot' where in reality they don't. 6 of the final 8 were pretty well known names with Poteet and Seaman being the 'no-names'. Never seen Seaman play but i have seen Poteet a few times and he can flat play. He beat Kiamco and that's no small feat. How this deal pans out is anyone's guess.

JC

Coos Cues
Just curious but how is it not a 'professional' sport? They are playing for $(i agree not tons of it) so what in your estimation would make it truly professional? There are more events that pay-out decent $ now than since the Camel Pro days. You gotta cover some real-estate to chase it down but its out there.
Professional athletes are not required to win in order to get paid. Sure if they don't perform they are fired at which time they are no longer professional athletes. In pool if you don't win on a daily basis you don't eat. And unlike real professional sports you can't be fired. You just keep showing up until you've had enough.

This is the logic I use to conclude pool is not a professional sport. Sorry if you fancy yourself a pro pool player and don't like reality pie.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional athletes are not required to win in order to get paid. Sure if they don't perform they are fired at which time they are no longer professional athletes. In pool if you don't win on a daily basis you don't eat. And unlike real professional sports you can't be fired. You just keep showing up until you've had enough.

This is the logic I use to conclude pool is not a professional sport. Sorry if you fancy yourself a pro pool player and don't like reality pie.
Never said i was. Pool is not a team sport. Players are independent contractors just like golf or bowling. So is pro golf not a professional sport? If they don't make the cut they don't get paid. Apples-to-oranges comparison.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I don’t consider pool a sport at all. It’s a game. One of the best games in the world in my humble opinion. I don’t consider football, futbol, either B balls, or tennis a sport either though. They are all games I think. It always irked me when poker folks claimed it a sport.

I guess sports would be stuff like track, hurdles, wrestling/fighting, probably a few other Olympic type events.

It’s just a wording thing though. Pro pool does differentiate from the common pro sports by not having a clear cut between pros and non pros. Anyone can buy in to most tournaments and play with the best in the world, no salary, no drug testing for HGH

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t consider pool a sport at all. It’s a game. One of the best games in the world in my humble opinion. I don’t consider football, futbol, either B balls, or tennis a sport either though. They are all games I think. It always irked me when poker folks claimed it a sport.

I guess sports would be stuff like track, hurdles, wrestling/fighting, probably a few other Olympic type events.

It’s just a wording thing though. Pro pool does differentiate from the common pro sports by not having a clear cut between pros and non pros. Anyone can buy in to most tournaments and play with the best in the world, no salary, no drug testing for HGH
The line between 'game' and 'sport' have become so blurred in the last 20+ yrs. its meaningless. You're right about the money part. There is no clear line like there is in golf. In golf you can get up to a $750 gift cert. and still be an amateur but if you get $$ you're a pro.

JC

Coos Cues
Never said i was. Pool is not a team sport. Players are independent contractors just like golf or bowling. So is pro golf not a professional sport? If they don't make the cut they don't get paid. Apples-to-oranges comparison.
Whatever you want pool to be in your mind I guess it is.

I wouldn't trade my life for an 800 fargo even if it was possible.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever you want pool to be in your mind I guess it is.

I wouldn't trade my life for an 800 fargo even if it was possible.
Kinda like being a cuemaker i guess. A hobby that makes you a little money. ;)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are only 3 sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Ernest Hemingway