American Straight Pool Championship - Oct 19th to 23rd *free* live streaming

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how the modern guys would play wearing tuxedos, suits and ties with all ball fouls.

or what about the old timers wearing some modern fashion?

1634855530464.png

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wouldn't the faster cloth and better quality balls play a big role in allowing today's players to run so many balls? It just seems as though the cloth and balls allow them to get better spreads and open the balls more on shallow break shots.

Though, I have noticed a big difference in the standard over the last 15 years though. I seem to remember in the mid 2000's, John Schmidt ran something like 168 at the Derby and or a 170ish ball run was the biggest we saw for a long time. Then Darren ran 200 and out in 2013 and it seemingly opened the flood gates for 200+ ball runs in high run challenges and extended runs.
Faster cloth and better balls have an influence for sure...but not as much as you may think.
The Rack, over fifty years ago, had cloth quicker than 760 Simonis.
I played at some of the old Grand Touring rooms from my father’s generation...they played fine.
A lot of the nostalgia you hear on AZ is about cloth that was in rooms that wouldn’t give quality conditions....
....or bars that would install horse blankets.
I rarely played on those conditions....and I would think the old champions played on them even less.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl shoved and hit HL

Seems he was disturbed he could hear Hunter talking a table away while he was shooting.

Lou Figueroa
So it looks like as he was DQd they gave his spot in the next round to Styer who was fourth in his group.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Faster cloth and better balls have an influence for sure...but not as much as you may think.
The Rack, over fifty years ago, had cloth quicker than 760 Simonis.
I played at some of the old Grand Touring rooms from my father’s generation...they played fine.
A lot of the nostalgia you hear on AZ is about cloth that was in rooms that wouldn’t give quality conditions....
....or bars that would install horse blankets.
I rarely played on those conditions....and I would think the old champions played on them even less.
That makes sense. My experience of course is second hand and a lot people do make it seem like those tournaments were contested on rugs.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Ridiculous they are showing women's round robins rather than the men's elimination matches.
I have to agree here. I’m all for showing both and I’m excited that they have the women’s tournament. But the guys are absolutely lighting it up out there and it would suck to miss any of the great performances that will surely come out of the elimination stages.

Monti

Why do they increase the games to 150 in the last 32 and 16 and then decrease it back down to 125 in the semi final and final?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do they increase the games to 150 in the last 32 and 16 and then decrease it back down to 125 in the semi final and final?
Doubtful that they do. Cuescore just hasn't been fully/correctly updated. There wasn't even a "last 32". It was 24. 8 seeded with a bye from the group winners and then 16 playing to see who meet those with byes. All of the rounds were showing 125 before they did the draw. They just haven't updated it fully or correctly. Limitations of cuescore probably in dealing with round robins.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl shoved and hit HL

Seems he was disturbed he could hear Hunter talking a table away while he was shooting.

Lou Figueroa
Wow, that's beyond childish. I better steer clear of strickland if I'm ever in the same room as he is as I tend to talk a lot during my turn at the table.

Monti

Doubtful that they do. Cuescore just hasn't been fully/correctly updated. There wasn't even a "last 32". It was 24. 8 seeded with a bye from the group winners and then 16 playing to see who meet those with byes. All of the rounds were showing 125 before they did the draw. They just haven't updated it fully or correctly. Limitations of cuescore probably in dealing with round robins.
Ok thanks, seems the most likely reason

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl shoved and hit HL

Lou Figueroa
Seriously? That is unprecedented even for Earl- never heard of any actual physical altercations involving him

middleofnowhere

Registered
Earl shoved and hit HL

Lou Figueroa
If this is true, he should be banned for good. He is in fact crazy. I saw his act when he was a teenager. He was thrown out of the pool room.

He stood out on the sidewalk ranting like a lunitic. Then kept coming back in the door screaming. Enough is enough with that nut.
Again, if the story is true.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the ES thing, yes it’s true - I saw it happen.

He was playing AO and was pinned to rail. AO only needed a few balls to win and it appeared ES was just frustrated by the situation and lashed out at HL going over to him at the next table, shoving him and doing what appeared to be one of those old school swipe/kicks. I am told contact was made but I don’t believe it was serious.

ES stormed out of the tournament room making a ruckus and a quick investigation of the incident by the tournament officials followed resulting in ES being DQ with no monies awarded.

On a more positive note, the play has been exceptional with JF posting a 213, SVB a 210, and FG a 202. There is also some impressive play on the women’s side, with some old timers in attendance as well as many newer players, and I enjoyed doing commentary with BC for one of their matches.

Q-Masters is a great room, or I should say multiple rooms, with a beautiful tournament venue. I met PB last night, the thoroughly gracious founder and host of this event. And I’ve seen many familiar faces, including BJ, though I did not spot his infamous briefcase.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the ES thing, yes it’s true - I saw it happen.

He was playing AO and was pinned to a ball with no way to play offense or a safe. AO only needed a few balls to win and it appeared ES was just frustrated by the situation and lashed out at HL going over to him at the next table, shoving him and doing what appeared to be one of those old school swipe/kicks. I am told contact was made but I don’t believe it was serious.

ES stormed out of the tournament room making a ruckus and a quick investigation of the incident by the tournament officials followed resulting in ES being DQ with no monies awarded.

On a more positive note, the play has been exceptional with JF posting a 213, SVB a 210, and FG a 202. There is also some impressive play on the women’s side, with some old timers in attendance as well as many newer players, and I enjoyed doing commentary with BC for one of their matches.

Q-Masters is a great room, or I should say multiple rooms, with a beautiful tournament venue. I met PB last night, the thoroughly gracious founder and host of this event. And I’ve seen many familiar faces, including BJ, though I did not spot his infamous briefcase.

Lou Figueroa

thanks for the report. from what i could see on the stream earl was pinned to the rail, but rattled the shot. he wasn't dead in the water the last shot. actually made a couple of nice shots to get there.

there are no excuses of course.

gerryf

Top 16 players:

3 from Austria​
3 from Poland​
2 from Germany​
2 from Russia​
1 from USA​
1 from Canada​
1 from Singapore​
1 from Greece​
1 from Finland​
1 from Hungary​
11 from Europe​
2 from Russia​
1 from Asia​
2 from North America​

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the report. from what i could see on the stream earl was pinned to the rail, but rattled the shot. he wasn't dead in the water the last shot. actually made a couple of nice shots to get there.

there are no excuses of course.

Fair enough — I was going off what AO said, which was that Earl had no out.

Lou Figueroa

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair enough — I was going off what AO said, which was that Earl had no out.

Lou Figueroa
Here's the stream; not sure when anything more than whining happened. Certainly didn't seem to be any fisticuffs during the game.

He got tough on the 9 ball, didn't like it and just sat down on the next table moping for a minute. Then finally shot and missed and whined some more and Albin ran out and he eventually stalked off. (1:17:45)

He was steamed after getting a chance from here after some safeties: (1:28:39)