Silver Member
From Peter Burrows FB page:

Arnaldo -- Can't wait watch this!

1633841929781.png

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good luck to all of the ladies.

The obvious choice to snap off the title here would be WPA #2 Kelly Fisher, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Loree Jon, who has a substantial competitive background in the straight pool discipline, including a world championship about forty years ago, is very dangerous in this spot, although it's anybody's guess whether she has played the game in recent years. Loree Jon showed plenty of form in the 2000 Women's 14.1 US Open, finishing second to Allison Fisher, but even that was quite a while ago.

.... or maybe I'm just making the case for the old school straight pool champion because, were she to win this, it would be nostalgic and would make me feel young!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post! I think for someone Loree Jon's age, just talking from experience, the true test for her will be how much pool does one have to play to reach the finals that week? if it is a double elimination; then for her, staying in the winners bracket would help greatly in reducing the workload and the possible detrimental effects from being too fatigued.

Esp. in 14.1 where longer innings at the table equal success - the focus and concentration abilities required are more taxing than, say 9 ball.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.... or maybe I'm just making the case for the old school straight pool champion because, were she to win this, it would be nostalgic and would make me feel young!
We're not old, Stu . . . we're merely in a more advanced state of youth.

My favorite quote from the Talmud is:

"For the unlearned, old age is winter; for the learned it is the season of the harvest."

Arnaldo

• Haha
Reactions: sjm

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... if it is a double elimination; then for her, staying in the winners bracket ...
The info on the website says that the prelims will be round robin(s) with 15 players. Eight advance to single elimination.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The info on the website says that the prelims will be round robin(s) with 15 players. Eight advance to single elimination.
Yep, see that now, so assuming she gets through the round robin, it will still be a lot of pool over just a few days- conditioning at her age will be a factor- it is a grind , no doubt.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yep, see that now, so assuming she gets through the round robin, it will still be a lot of pool over just a few days- conditioning at her age will be a factor- it is a grind , no doubt.
I wonder how long the matches will be on the women's side. In the five Women's World 14.1 Championships I attended, the matches were to 75 points except in the final which was to 100. In the women's division of the European Straight Pool Championships, the matches are also to 75, even in the final.

Stamina is not much of an issue if the women are racing to 75, which seems likely.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well then 55 and 75- not too much to worry about then, I thought she was older and that the matches were much longer.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The round robin groups are up. A nice turnout.

That shows matches to 125 points throughout. I wonder whether that is true; it certainly was not so in any recent year (https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/2021-american-straight-pool-championship.530659/#post-6958791)

It also shows the first matches tomorrow at noon, whereas the top line of the site says it starts at 11 am.

Edit -- The Am. Straight Pool website confirms that the first match is at noon.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Too bad Ewa Laurence is not playing. She could really play some Straight Pool. Jeanette would also be one of the favorites if she was in better health.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The scores are going to be up on Cuescore.com. The schedule there shows a start time of noon Eastern. Many great matches already in the first round.