Pool’s unique – its pros come in *all* body types. Who were/are the tallest + shortest adult men pros, now or ever?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An all-countries list (or opinion) would likely include many pros far shorter than USA’s somewhat diminutive Mosconi, and many far taller than Dave Bollman.

A tallest/shortest list that included top semi-pros would be much, much longer I'm sure.

Arnaldo ~ Uncharacteristically silly thread, I know. But maybe fun.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Denis Grabe and Boston Shorty come to mind.

The shortest road player I've ever know was the 4'6" "Little Petey" Goldsmith from the DC area, who in his prime traveled with the likes of Marvin Henderson and Danny D. He wasn't the greatest player, but as a matchmaker he could take full advantage of a sucker's conflation of height and talent.

https://flic.kr/p/S4pmpm

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Today's players...my wild assed guesses would be Kaci for tallest, Alex the lion for shortest?

(edit) excluding the women players, of course. There I haven't a clue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An all-countries list (or opinion) would likely include many pros far shorter than USA’s somewhat diminutive Mosconi, and many far taller than Dave Bollman.

A tallest/shortest list that included top semi-pros would be much, much longer I'm sure.

Arnaldo ~ Uncharacteristically silly thread, I know. But maybe fun.
Are we bored or what??

middleofnowhere

Registered
I used to be around Big Bob all the time and I saw his height, he's probably about 6'4", as a handicap. I always thought a person of about 5' 8" had an advantage. They just stepped to the table bend over and that's it.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Whenever I think of a tall pool player, Rempe comes to mind. I believe he is around 6"2. He always struck me has having a great stance for a taller guy (among his other attributes).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Ruslan the tallest current pro?

I’m 6-3 and in my personal experience tall people are not made to play pool, or most sports. The joints don’t have as much meat around them and break down when doing the same work a shorter person does.

dquarasr

Registered
“Tall is overrated”, said the diminutive 5’5” Italian, having overcome a youth of under-confidence and an overwhelming sense of inadequacy. 😁😁😁 So glad to have been successful at many things; pool has been more elusive but that’s what makes it all the more alluring.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Whenever I think of a tall pool player, Rempe comes to mind. I believe he is around 6"2. He always struck me has having a great stance for a taller guy (among his other attributes).
Is Ruslan the tallest current pro?

I’m 6-3 and in my personal experience tall people are not made to play pool, or most sports. The joints don’t have as much meat around them and break down when doing the same work a shorter person does.
Rempe handled his height by spreading his legs farther apart...so his height was no disadvantage.
When the table height was established, the medium height was five-seven and a half, so those players look comfortable.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Can't find it now, but used to have a pic of Wilt Chamberlin reaching for a pool shot. Let's just say I doubt he ever had to use a bridge. ;)

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't find it now, but used to have a pic of Wilt Chamberlin reaching for a pool shot. Let's just say I doubt he ever had to use a bridge. ;)
Chamberlain definitely never had to use the bridge. The table always looked like a toy table when he reached over it.
Not many pix of him at the table, but this one gives a rough idea.
Arnaldo

Wilt at a pool table.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bollman was probably the tallest (6'7") pro player I ever met, and either Boston Shorty or Jose Parica (both about 5'2") are the shortest.

The height of a pool table is the same as the height of most dinner tables and desks, which are all around 30". Even tables and desks made in the 19th Century conform to this height. This was the easiest height for early table manufacturers to duplicate, and pool tables may have been conversions from other pieces of furniture early on.

bbhistorian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Denis Grabe and Boston Shorty come to mind.

The shortest road player I've ever know was the 4'6" "Little Petey" Goldsmith from the DC area, who in his prime traveled with the likes of Marvin Henderson and Danny D. He wasn't the greatest player, but as a matchmaker he could take full advantage of a sucker's conflation of height and talent.

https://flic.kr/p/S4pmpm
Petey taught me position play. It's a different game when you're short. Tall players were constantly disappointed with my position, but playing to the rail so I could reach was 100% Petey's influence.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Bollman was probably the tallest (6'7") pro player I ever met, and either Boston Shorty or Jose Parica (both about 5'2") are the shortest.

The height of a pool table is the same as the height of most dinner tables and desks, which are all around 30". Even tables and desks made in the 19th Century conform to this height. This was the easiest height for early table manufacturers to duplicate, and pool tables may have been conversions from other pieces of furniture early on.
The table height is a problem as well as how much they have to spread out just to shoot average shots. One problem, that seems is most recently being solved, is cue length. Bollman had I think a 63 inch cue. Just watching a very tall player playing with a standard cue looks uncomfortable.
Players out there who are tall and want to experiment can try getting a cuemaker or even a good repairman to make them a joint extension. It doesn't wreck the cue in terms of modifications and is pretty inexpensive to try. Certainly better then getting a whole new cue made.