EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intimidated, really? Which prospective Team USA member(s) do you think would intimidate any of this year's Euro team members? None. However, even the anticipation of Earl's antics may make some of the Euros uncomfortable. I think that's as close to intimidation as anyone is going to get. His behavior during the matches may not be pretty, but it might be kind of fun to see Earl give the Euro fans back some of the same stuff that many of them deal out at every MC. Also, many times it seems that Earl steps his game up a notch when he is feeling everyone is against him.
Earl is a great American comeback story. He has been laughed at, spit on and booed off stage (to quote M&M). Earl kept on fighting and has become an inspiration to many.

Is he embarrassing? Sometimes, so was tennis great John Mcenroe
. I couldn't wait to watch Mcenroe!

Earl has mental health issues and has paid a financial price for his poor behavior (no endorsement deals), but he is statistically relevant and exciting. I respect someone who doesn't quit and thought outside the box to try new things.
  • Earl adding length to cues
  • Earl trying weighted arm resistance
  • Earl trying tinted eye wear
  • Earl physically training constantly
  • Earl teaching players (I have been thru his clinic).
Like him or not we talk about him because he is relevant. I respect his FIRE!

Last edited:

VVP

Registered
Yes. I'm sure there are several people out there whose ratings are based solely on one discipline. If they only ever play the Tuesday night 9-ball tournament at Joe's bar, that's where all of their games will come from.
I meant if a person plays 8, 9 and 10 ball, if he/she can get his/her Fargo rating for each discipline. Anway, I read the "behind the curtains" information provided about the FargoRate system and it doesn’t seem like you can get your Fargo rate by discipline. Also it doesn't distinguish play between 9 and 7 feet tables. It's really a measure of you overall performance against other players.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I meant if a person plays 8, 9 and 10 ball, if he/she can get his/her Fargo rating for each discipline. Anway, I read the "behind the curtains" information provided about the FargoRate system and it doesn’t seem like you can get your Fargo rate by discipline. Also it doesn't distinguish play between 9 and 7 feet tables. It's really a measure of you overall performance against other players.
Correct. I misunderstood your question. Your rating can also fluctuate if you don't play, based on the current performance of people you have played. I didn't play for a while, and my rating went up a few points because some people I had beat were playing way better recently.

Reactions: VVP

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Correct. I misunderstood your question. Your rating can also fluctuate if you don't play, based on the current performance of people you have played. I didn't play for a while, and my rating went up a few points because some people I had beat were playing way better recently.
I never realized this but just checked and I’ve gone up from a 327 I think it was to a 365 lol. Still with my original 11 racks in the system.

I need to find some tourneys or a league that reports to Fargo I’ve always wondered where I’m really at

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
My punctuation is probably still horrible. Spelling is hopeless. But why couldn’t I pick the write words to convey my thoughts? It was from lack of practice the first 40 years of my life.

There was no lessons, books, was just organic. Persistence and desire were also a factor. I’m still working on it and will continue to hone my skills. I gave up on spelling.

Hard work usually pays off. Learning to write wasn’t luck in my case.
Actually you write pretty well now, punctuation and spelling and all. In fact, for sure somewhere up in the top half of people on this site rather than in the bottom half. Yes your hard work for sure paid off, it was a remarkable transformation and again, one to be very proud of. (y)

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
No comment on Billy Thorpe being omitted from Mosconi Cup this year....

I guess Robb Saez was on the selection committee! Lol

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No comment on Billy Thorpe being omitted from Mosconi Cup this year....

I guess Robb Saez was on the selection committee! Lol

Kd

It got discussed in some other mosconi thread. He failed a wpa drug test a couple of months ago and wasn’t able to be in contention.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
It got discussed in some other mosconi thread. He failed a wpa drug test a couple of months ago and wasn’t able to be in contention.
Matchroom allowed him in the US Open !

Kd

80be938624356111b95355ff6964a3c8.jpg
fe91a0ec0a9c744065dc36bfb0488105.jpg

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom allowed him in the US Open !

Kd
Apparently it’s not matchrooms decision. Matchroom has to follow WPA guidelines since mosconi is a WPA sanctioned event. WPA said he failed the test in Vegas during World 10 ball and the US Open was a week later so maybe they didn’t have the results yet or maybe he could play US Open while appealing it? I have zero clue about all that but that’s about all I can think of that would make sense why he played US Open. But it’s a WPA thing, not Matchroom. At least that’s how I understood it.

Revlucjl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why not landon shuffet? He creamed Strickland a few years back on a 5x10.
I think he's more interested in his education right now. He is an excellent player.

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

I'd be willing to bet that Earl either wins a singles match, or is part of a doubles team that wins a match. Someone remind me when this event takes place if you wanna make a friendly wager.
I wonder what the pool world would think if Earl conducted himself with dignity this time out alla Nick Varner. I for one would like to see that, but unfortunately the world always loves a good train wreck which is what is expected I suppose.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is on the team.

Quit complaining.

Y’all take this Mosconi crapshoot way too seriously.

It is a GAME!

Go, Earl!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a game, yet you feel compelled to root for Earl.

Maybe some people want to root for their team, and don't think Earl gives them a good chance.

I hope Earl does well, but I don’t care who wins the Mosconi.

I am not a sports fanatic who gets emotionally involved with games that do not involve me.

Pool is a game.

I don’t get anything, no matter who wins the Mosconi.

FWIW, I don’t buy or wear sports jerseys or caps with team or player names on them either.

I am not part of the teams.

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

Well, he is a much better player now. the older you get the better you used to be.
And what he used to be is arguably the best player ever to have played the game of nineball. Earl in his day was absolutely astonishing to watch., talking about 80’s and 90’s. No escaping the ravishes of Father Time,,,

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And what he used to be is arguably the best player ever to have played the game of nineball. Earl in his day was absolutely astonishing to watch., talking about 80’s and 90’s. No escaping the ravishes of Father Time,,,
I think you meant ' the ravages' of father time. I agree with this.