The Siberian Express is About to Roll

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruslan Chinakhov, known as "The Siberian Express," will begin his Legends of Pocket Billiards 14.1 high run attempts at Street Lights Billiards Academy, beginning tomorrow at 3PM EST.

Ruslan is from Moscow, Russia, and won the World Junior 9-ball championship at 17. More recently he won the American Straight Pool title in 2019 and finished tied for third at the same event two weeks ago.

I believe you'll see a different approach to 14.1 from Ruslan. Look for fewer shots to the up table corners, fewer to the sides, *a lot fewer* loose combination shots, and perhaps shallower break shots. I think Ruslan is capable of putting up a big number. Tune in and see:

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Rusty in Montana

Thanks for the head's up I'd really enjoy watching his match but I'll probably not get a chance to see watch it .
Maybe it if it's on YouTube later ?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the head's up I'd really enjoy watching his match but I'll probably not get a chance to see watch it .
Maybe it if it's on YouTube later ?

We have plans for a YouTube channel.

But in the meantime, try logging onto the FB page. As of today you can still watch several of SVB’ runs. Ruslan’s big runs should be viewable after the fact.

Lou Figueroa
hope I didn’t just
give tech
a heart attack, lol

Rusty in Montana

Lou I'll give it a try I use a cell phone that a small step above a flip phone in other words it's a dumb smart phone . My tool of choice is a Kendal HD fire to get online .
I enjoy old school straight pool remember Frank McGowan was a good friend of mine ha ha

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Lou I'll give it a try I use a cell phone that a small step above a flip phone in other words it's a dumb smart phone . My tool of choice is a Kendal HD fire to get online .
I enjoy old school straight pool remember Frank McGowan was a good friend of mine ha ha
McGowan did a lot for pool in MT. And I am with you, used to play lots of straight pool.

Rusty in Montana

As did George Frank when he owned the Corner Pocket Billiards chain , I enjoy trying to play 14.1 but prefer doing so on a 4 1/2 x 9 table . Those were some great years and I feel fortunate to of been able to see and enjoy them and be a small part of it .

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ruslan Chinakhov, known as "The Siberian Express," will begin his Legends of Pocket Billiards 14.1 high run attempts at Street Lights Billiards Academy, beginning tomorrow at 3PM EST.

Ruslan is from Moscow, Russia, and won the World Junior 9-ball championship at 17. More recently he won the American Straight Pool title in 2019 and finished tied for third at the same event two weeks ago.

I believe you'll see a different approach to 14.1 from Ruslan. Look for fewer shots to the up table corners, fewer to the sides, *a lot fewer* loose combination shots, and perhaps shallower break shots. I think Ruslan is capable of putting up a big number. Tune in and see:

Lou Figueroa
As they say, next man up. Good luck to Ruslan.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think whomever is going to beat Mosconis record or go beyond to JS' number, needs to be a fast player. Slow players will just tire themselves out, because there are a lot of balls to put down. Chinakhov does have that nice rhytm to his play, though he doesn't have SVB's raw ability. He also needs to play good, common sense patterns. From what I've seen from SVB previously, he doesn't have the best pattern play, so there is room for improvement in that area, at least. I think Chinakhov definitely has the edge in this department. I think he may beat SVB's number.

I haven't seen JS' run (who has?), but I've seen a lot of his previous high runs, and he sort of makes up for his not so good patterns with world class speed control and potting. And he had A LOT of attempts at this. It's asking a lot to beat this in just a few tries, it may be too much to ask of anyone, no matter what skill level.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you don't think dennis could run 300+ on a table this generous?
He definitely can (y) I just think it's more likely that he wouldn't in the given time frame.

Shaw and Filler have the raw firepower and speed of play to make this happen.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As they say, next man up. Good luck to Ruslan.
I think he will do well. He had a 182 in the 2018 DCC high run challenge which was on smaller than 4-1/2-inch pockets. (I previously thought that only 2019 had some smaller than 4.5" pockets, but it seems that 2018 did as well.)

I'll guess his over/under is 310 if he has 100 attempts. This puts him at missing 1 in 63 compared to the 1 in 70 (roughly) of Shane and John.

100 tries doesn't sound like much, but if you average 62 balls per turn that's 6200 balls. At 200 per hour, that's 31 hours of shooting.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I feel like it really is just a numbers lottery once you’re talking about players who can consistently run 100-150 balls.

I guess there is a determination/focus factor that maybe some don’t have so they have a ceiling of 150 or whatever but being able to run that many (to me) means you can run balls indefinitely. Provided you don’t lose your focus, you get lucky after the break once in a while, you don’t get unlucky during or after the break ever, and the pocket never spits a ball back at you.

The more attempts made, the higher the chance you’ll be running balls when the stars align and 80+ break shots go smoothly.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
He definitely can (y) I just think it's more likely that he wouldn't in the given time frame.

Shaw and Filler have the raw firepower and speed of play to make this happen.
Haven't seen a lot of 14.1 by Filler, but he's certainly the "player type" that is most likely to do well at this. Fast, with a positive attitude and lots of firepower. I'm not so sure about Shaw. I think he may be to "volatile" for this sort of thing.