Top 10 Reasons to Use an Open Bridge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Could you post an example of or a link to a shot like this, where you think a closed bridge is required? I would like to give it a try with an open bridge. Thanks." copied from Dr. Dave.

How about 7 foot straight in shot and draw back 7 foot?
I always shoot that with a closed bridge,never tried an open bridge.

Here are a few:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about an average player trying it both ways?

Sounds like a good approach to me. One should always choose what works best as an individual, while also being open to making improvements in technique.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a good approach to me. One should always choose what works best as an individual, while also being open to making improvements in technique.
I go to Felt every Saturday.
I'm going to try a power draw both ways.
I don't think I ever did it with an open bridge.
I'll report back.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I go to Felt every Saturday.
I'm going to try a power draw both ways.
I don't think I ever did it with an open bridge.
I'll report back.

Sounds good. I look forward to your report after giving it a good effort (with a relaxed grip and arm).

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're unquestionably right. The problem is I find myself unable to play with an open bridge. I can easily do it off a rail but flat on the table I just have no luck using it.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post and video Doc! This is a great thread/topic, so many comments where I’m thinking you guys are reading my mind. I have shot with both bridges most of my life, but in recent years I have come to the conclusion that an open bridge is just much better for me, and those top ten reasons are spot-on Doc! The snooker guys are the best in the world and IMHO the open bridge is a big reason.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're unquestionably right. The problem is I find myself unable to play with an open bridge. I can easily do it off a rail but flat on the table I just have no luck using it.

What causes the difficulty? Forming the "V?" Getting the desired tip position? Something else?

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great post and video Doc! This is a great thread/topic, so many comments where I’m thinking you guys are reading my mind. I have shot with both bridges most of my life, but in recent years I have come to the conclusion that an open bridge is just much better for me, and those top ten reasons are spot-on Doc! The snooker guys are the best in the world and IMHO the open bridge is a big reason.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the video and like the thread. I agree that the snooker players could not be that accurate without the low stance and open bridge.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the correction. I fixed the post. Watching snooker was one of the reasons I switched to a low stance and open bridge many years ago. I figured: Shouldn't I try to be as accurate and consistent as they are, even though I am "just playing pool?" :unsure: :eek: (y)
Exactly what I told myself a few years ago…although I still go back to closed a bit too often.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always used mostly an open bridge. A few years ago I started bending my ring and middle fingers underneath. My bridge was getting tired from all the flexing. I like the new bridge better. It's very stable.

I am lazy and often flop my open bridge down with all fingers forward. A couple practice strokes and I tuck my two middle fingers. Immediately my bridge feels more stable. Except in the rare instance that I need a lower bridge than I can achieve on the particular shot with the fingers tucked they are always tucked if I am using an open bridge.

I started playing pool with a closed bridge. Then I noticed that many of my compadres of high school age used an open bridge. Gave it a try, it required less effort. In six months or less I was using an open bridge on almost all shots although some seemed to still require a closed bridge. Then the old shortstop who I respected greatly told me to only use a closed bridge, and a shorter bridge length than the long span an open bridge seems to encourage, six to ten inches was a long enough bridge on most shots. No question, for me the short bridge and closed bridge was more accurate. At the time, even if the bridge length was short using either one, the closed bridge seemed just a little more accurate on those shave the fuzz off a peach shots. Now I only used the open bridge when it was clearly superior in some situation. I went to maybe 80%-90% closed bridge.I think I maintained that for the remainder of my first infatuation with pool, ten years more or less.

In another current thread on the date of this posting we can watch a video of an exciting finish of a match. One of the best few in the world was two balls away from hill-hill or maybe winning the match. Watching for the first time I noticed an open bridge maybe a bit awkward and a whole lot of shaft between his bridge and the cue ball. I thought then that he was setting the shot up to be much harder than it had to be. He missed and turned the table over with the other player on the hill and shooting at the eight ball playing nine ball. I have to think his stomach hit the floor with a thud. Going from controlling your destiny to giving somebody else control is a horrible feeling. The pool gods weren't done yet and he did win but it was an ugly finish to the match. He might have won anyway but it looked like the three point rule might have been the deciding factor. Like I said, UG-LY!

Hu

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds good. I look forward to your report after giving it a good effort (with a relaxed grip and arm).
I tried a 6 foot or so power draw open and closed bridge.
I did three both ways.
All six tries resulted in the cue ball coming back 5 or 6 feet.
The open bridge felt a little awkward
The closed bridge felt better.
But a closed bridge is what I've always used.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried a 6 foot or so power draw open and closed bridge.
I did three both ways.
All six tries resulted in the cue ball coming back 5 or 6 feet.
The open bridge felt a little awkward
The closed bridge felt better.
But a closed bridge is what I've always used.

Thanks for the report. No surprises there.

Hoogaar

Registered
I've actually moved away from an open bridge (mostly anyway). I've always had an open bridge with my chin almost on the cue, but a couple of years ago I apparently developed a herniated disc (C6) that flared up after a few consecutive extended pool sessions (8+ hours). Didn't know the cause at the time. I did this 3 more times before finally realizing it was the pool causing it. Each time the pain lasted and excruciating 1-2 months.

Anyway, once we (me and my physiotherapist) finally clued in to what was causing it, I changed the way I shoot. I'm now more upright. And for some reason was having a really hard time adjusting until I went to a closed bridge for the first time ever.

I still use an open bridge for thin cut shots, and end up getting down lower than I really should, but anything fairly straight , I'm using a closed bridge with pretty good success.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've actually moved away from an open bridge (mostly anyway). I've always had an open bridge with my chin almost on the cue, but a couple of years ago I apparently developed a herniated disc (C6) that flared up after a few consecutive extended pool sessions (8+ hours). Didn't know the cause at the time. I did this 3 more times before finally realizing it was the pool causing it. Each time the pain lasted and excruciating 1-2 months.

Anyway, once we (me and my physiotherapist) finally clued in to what was causing it, I changed the way I shoot. I'm now more upright. And for some reason was having a really hard time adjusting until I went to a closed bridge for the first time ever.

I still use an open bridge for thin cut shots, and end up getting down lower than I really should, but anything fairly straight , I'm using a closed bridge with pretty good success.

I'm glad you were able to find a personal fix that allows you to keep playing without pain.

With a higher stance, there are no disadvantages to a good closed bridge.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And for my wrist injury, I am unable to shoot with anything but an open bridge, except for some shots where I am shooting side ways along the rail.( as shown in the OP video). So thank you Dr. Dave for making me feel better about having to shoot with an open bridge. I used complain to my opponents that I was handicapped with my wrist injury. I guess I shouldn't use this excuse anymore.