The Siberian Express is About to Roll

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it’s pretty clear the pockets are big and the players chosen will be debated.

i would love to see danny harriman have a chance.

My recollection is that when Bobby and I first started talking about this, perhaps a year ago, there was some early parlay with Danny -- regrettably, that went sideways pretty quickly, so don't look for that to happen.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
many of the older tables like the anniversay and centennial tables and early gold crowns had standard 4.5 to 4.75 inch wide pockets. but the balls did rattle if you fudged them with any real speed. so they are slop pockets to compared to a 4 1/8 one pocket table but those are not standard and are special order or modified. so dont count.

plus if trying to recreate the older conditions as said. then using 760 cloth does away with that pledge. as the old tables all were very slow and the balls being never polished even if did wouldnt break open easily.

that was the reason players didnt break hard to try to scatter the balls as you got into more trouble than keeping them down table and in control.

Don't remember making any "pledge."

What I said was that we were trying to have the table play like older Brunswicks. Admittedly, we've made some concessions to the modern era and aren't using nappy cloth nor mud balls. We're also not insisting guys wear suits and play with Rambows with French Champion tips.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too. First he can do it as himself and then he can shoot as xradarx. Who would run more? Then we can have a round table discussion with snake man leading the panel to discuss the state of pool, pockets, angles and anyone’s new hair brained scheme to fix pool.

Or we can just sit back and enjoy some good straight pool and every once in a while tip our hats to the folks who made it happen.

You know, I'm not 100% sure but having exchanged numerous PMs with Danny, I'm relatively confident he's not radar.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I’m thinking outside the box here, but why does straight pool HAVE to be on a looser table?

I get that the pocket sizes enable a large range of possibilities to manage the table, but that is true for all cuesport games.

The main reason I keep hearing that straight pool is a dead game is that no one wants to sit for an hour waiting for a shot or that people lose interest after consistent 20-30 minute innings.

It seems to me that the solution is to have the top players compete on 4” or 4.25” pockets to slow them down a little.

In other similar high run games like English Billiards and snooker they use tougher equipment to slow down the top players. Why not 14.1?

It doesn't have to be on a loose table but more generous pockets allow you to "work" the CB and get better position.

Beside fluke breaks that scratch or leave you frozen to a ball, broadly speaking, runs peter out because of misplayed position, often because a tight pocket demanded a shot be played a certain way. 1pocket is better with tighter (but not stupid tight) pockets. 14.1 is better with looser pockets.

Lou Figueroa

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen Glen play, I absolutely believe him. 163 sounds right based on what I saw. He’s much stronger than a 80-100 hi run guy. He ain’t a 200 guy either.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
it’s pretty clear the pockets are big and the players chosen will be debated.

i would love to see danny harriman have a chance.
They should put in a second table and have Danny Harriman on one and John Schmidt on the other, and whoever has the high run for each day gets a $1,000 or something. Even better if the tables are close enough that they are bumping into each other often lol.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just a quick comment about Ruslan. He is a great example of a player who has improved his game a lot with respect to technical excellence. I have seen him play 14.1 for years and his game has become much more refined than it was ten years ago, when he had to call on his undeniably great shot-making skills more often to save a run.

I think we must all be mindful that while a few like Rempe, Hall and Souquet seem to have been born with an instinctive command of how to play every angle and pattern there is on a pool table, most players refine their craft gradually over time. Ruslan is a player that has done this very successfully and I admire him a lot for it.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
They should put in a second table and have Danny Harriman on one and John Schmidt on the other, and whoever has the high run for each day gets a $1,000 or something. Even better if the tables are close enough that they are bumping into each other often lol.
1000 and a free punch in the face.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick comment about Ruslan. He is a great example of a player who has improved his game a lot with respect to technical excellence. I have seen him play 14.1 for years and his game has become much more refined than it was ten years ago, when he had to call on his undeniably great shot-making skills more often to save a run.

I think we must all be mindful that while a few like Rempe, Hall and Souquet seem to have been born with an instinctive command of how to play every angle and pattern there is on a pool table, most players refine their craft gradually over time. Ruslan is a player that has done this very successfully and I admire him a lot for it.
For many, the constant 9- and 10-ball without frequent enough exposure to 14.1 is more than little antithetical (or at least dissuasive) to the kind of refinement that took place for emerging players and even seasoned ones in the way-back old days.

Danny D correctly -- and ruefully on his part -- noted that modern players (with a number of exceptions like Ruslan) are achieving long runs with a hybrid style that he aptly termed: "9-ball Straight Pool".

Arnaldo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For many, the constant 9- and 10-ball without frequent enough exposure to 14.1 is more than little antithetical (or at least dissuasive) to the kind of refinement that took place for emerging players and even seasoned ones in the way-back old days.

Danny D correctly -- and ruefully on his part -- noted that modern players (with a number of exceptions like Ruslan) are achieving long runs with a hybrid style that he aptly termed: "9-ball Straight Pool".

Arnaldo
While Danny D is right, the truth is that today's players still have managed to develop all the touch and finesse skills of the old masters, despite having taken a different path.

Pattern building, however, is not quite what it was back in the day, but it matters a little less because today's players have shown in rotation pool that they can succeed playing the balls in practically any order.

The game has changed, but it's arguable whether these changes are to be bemoaned or embraced. I think it's better to embrace the changes.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
glen said "Brunswick's stock pocket opening has always been 5" corners and 5 1/2" sides, from the days before the anniversary and centennial up to the GC5, which was the first time Brunswick offered tighter pockets, being 4 9/16" corners."

of course you are right about that. my older brunswick has 5 inch pockets and is much more forgiving than the anniversaries and up. they spit out a lot of balls, especially the gold crown when hit fast. but that is the size pocket they should use for all
high runs to be judged across the board.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My recollection is that when Bobby and I first started talking about this, perhaps a year ago, there was some early parlay with Danny -- regrettably, that went sideways pretty quickly, so don't look for that to happen.

Lou Figueroa
He's conspicuous by his absence, in this thread...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Danny D is right, the truth is that today's players still have managed to develop all the touch and finesse skills of the old masters, despite having taken a different path.

Pattern building, however, is not quite what it was back in the day, but it matters a little less because today's players have shown in rotation pool that they can succeed playing the balls in practically any order.

The game has changed, but it's arguable whether these changes are to be bemoaned or embraced. I think it's better to embrace the changes.

They may be able to "succeed" to 100-150 points -- they cannot succeed with that hybrid style once we start talking bigger numbers.

It catches up to you. All a player can do is acknowledge the game is a bitch, forget the bravado, play as conservatively as you can, and hope you tip-toe through the tulips.

Lou Figueroa

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
oh that’s weird i’m surprised sorry to hear though, thanks for the swift reply and let’s continue to debate who is next!

f’n corey deuel man, if he don’t get a shot at this- the whole planet earth just went all wrong.