When you can't get natural angle;.... do you use draw or follow?

Which do you normally use? Follow? or Draw? (Assuming you cannot use natural angle)

• Just a SINGLE CHOICE to poll AZ'ers as to which they tend to use more often. I've made visual obs of

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • several talented players and seems even they have no preference. Which do you like?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
87dcb.png

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dead straight in, draw or follow is only going to scratch. You need to cheat the pocket and create an angle and use a LOT of sidespin to spin off the rail to have any decent chance at the nine.
Or rail first which sucks too. Being that flat is never a good thing. Depending on the size/profile of the pocket determines how to hit it- if there is anything to work with.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Follow and most likely rail first follow being that close to the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or rail first which sucks too. Being that flat is never a good thing. Depending on the size/profile of the pocket determines how to hit it- if there is anything to work with.
hmm.. i am used to playing on diamond with very live cushions. I never really even considered table conditions for my shot selection. If I were playing on slow cloth or dead rails, rail first would be my choice, however I always struggle with speed control going rail first and it would be easy to end up in the middle of the table (for me) on going rail first. Shooting with spin consistantly puts me near the middle diamond on the left long rail leaving a pretty makable shot on the 9. Plus I got the rail as a brake to help control speed and create a fairly large position window.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
ok, I tried to edit but it won't let me renew.
Here is what I meant.
DRAW or FOLLOW usually using 2 rails to get from the 8 to the 9.

I've seen several good players in multiple rooms use both. Sometimes even the same player used both.
So, I wondered what azer's thought..... ONE DAY , I Will set up these polls right! 😖😖

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all depends how I'm playing the day this scenario is presented and if I'm more comfortable that day drawing or following. Both are viable options.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either could work, and which I use could come down to a half inch one way or another on either the 8-ball or the cue ball…but as it looks, likely follow here because the closer proximity to the rail will allow right spin to be more effective getting down table to the 9 than the draw would allow.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmm.. i am used to playing on diamond with very live cushions. I never really even considered table conditions for my shot selection. If I were playing on slow cloth or dead rails, rail first would be my choice, however I always struggle with speed control going rail first and it would be easy to end up in the middle of the table (for me) on going rail first. Shooting with spin consistantly puts me near the middle diamond on the left long rail leaving a pretty makable shot on the 9. Plus I got the rail as a brake to help control speed and create a fairly large position window.
It’s a hard shot on any table

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Hell - just freeze the cue ball on the 8 and then long bank the 9 back up the table. Give it enough pace in case you hit it too thick and need two rails back down in the corner.

Or...do what JC said. :sneaky:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'd say I would most likely cheat the pocket and draw/stun the piss out of it. I would like to use follow but I'm still working on that aspect of the game. I know follow is better but I can trust draw currently. I've got quite good at shots like this, but I know forcing the cue ball when not necessary is a novice mistake.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think this is one of those shots that looks much easier in a diagram than it looks on the table.

I'd probably jack up slightly and use right follow. Other ways to get there are "sideways masse", rail first with draw or follow or stun, and jumping up onto the nose of the cushion to bounce up the table.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is one of those shots that looks much easier in a diagram than it looks on the table.

I'd probably jack up slightly and use right follow. Other ways to get there are "sideways masse", rail first with draw or follow or stun, and jumping up onto the nose of the cushion to bounce up the table.
Why would you "Jack up slightly"?

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just practiced this one a bunch. Easiest is cheat, follow, and right. And oddly, cheat, draw, and left also works, but it puts CB closer to next OB so is harder to get just right.

Last edited:

geoff_182

Why would you "Jack up slightly"?
A slight masse would make the ball curve slightly, so it would have more of an angle at contact. This also makes the shot harder though so it may not be the ideal solution for everyone.

Depending on how I’m feeling and how the table is playing, I think I would most likely try rail first.