When you can't get natural angle;.... do you use draw or follow?

Which do you normally use? Follow? or Draw? (Assuming you cannot use natural angle)

• Just a SINGLE CHOICE to poll AZ'ers as to which they tend to use more often. I've made visual obs of

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • several talented players and seems even they have no preference. Which do you like?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
You've been member far longer than I. I'm amazed you think odd answers shouldn't be expected on the forum...lol ;)
Lol, I’m a sporadic frequenter.

I don’t know, maybe a lot of things I take for granted aren’t common knowledge? I remember talking to a dude who had been playing for about 10 years, pub leagues and the like. I was talking about playing a draw shot with “reverse” side to adjust the bounce of the cueball off the rail (as I was doing in the above video when trying the draw shot), and he just refused to believe that playing draw with left hand side kicks the ball to the right from the player’s perspective once it hits the rail. I was just like, dude, how is it possible you don’t know this? He made me actually get on a table and show him.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With both balls off the rail I'd use right and a little high. Try to use as level a stroke as possible so the cue ball takes the English and doesn't hop.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I don’t know, maybe a lot of things I take for granted aren’t common knowledge? ...
I used to play in a 14.1 league with a guy who could be expected to run 60 and had a high run of 103-and-out in a match. He did not know about throw, so if we were playing safe and there was a dead-if-thrown ball in the rack, I could just play the cue ball up-table and he wouldn't shoot it.

There are lots of "secrets" at pool that have been known for a hundred years. But you have to pay attention.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With both balls off the rail I'd use right and a little high. Try to use as level a stroke as possible so the cue ball takes the English and doesn't hop.
Using a slightly raised back hand and a short pop stroke will make the cue ball hop to the right little higher up the rail giving the right hand spin a better chance to get up table.
But a bit risky unless you have been doing the cue ball hop stroke for a long time.
Just another way to do it.
Draw on this shot is not good.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using a slightly raised back hand and a short pop stroke will make the cue ball hop to the right little higher up the rail giving the right hand spin a better chance to get up table.
But a bit risky unless you have been doing the cue ball hop stroke for a long time.
Just another way to do it.
Draw on this shot is not good.
My experience with force follow and precise position is no hop keeps the spin on the ball best and causes me to locate the cue ball where I want it. The best way to achieve that is a level stroke.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or go rail first with only a moderate amount of side spin

With the 8 that far away there's two things I'm thinking:

1) I will get more "bang for the buck" for lack of better words, with the cue ball when cheating the pocket. Meaning, I will be able to hit further up the rail with the CB then if the 8B was closer to the pocket. But, if the 8's closer to the pocket you get more angle so you lose less energy on the CB so you don't have to hit it as hard and rely on English to bring it downtable.

2) When the 8 is that far away from the end rail and that close to the CB a kick would be a bit harder. If the 8 were closer to the pocket and closer to the rail I would consider a kick.

In this case, I would have to get down on the ball to determine how far I could cheat the pocket to decide if I'm drawing or following.