J. Shaw's wife...................

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Shaw's have enough weight in their wagon, right?
Agreed.

Doesn't excuse making unfounded allegations repeatedly by him and many others that the room owner who hosted this "must have known something". Which at this point won't ever be resolved.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Agreed.

Doesn't excuse making unfounded allegations repeatedly by him and many others that the room owner who hosted this "must have known something". Which at this point won't ever be resolved.

when i owned my pool room in Memphis from the mid 90's through 2001 we had more tables, video games than anyone and a very diverse crowd to boot so i, like you, understand allegations, etc., and we both know that if unfounded or proven they don't effect biz

i don't give a hoot about facebook so i'm clueless what was said and who said it, could something have been said in the heat of the moment without thinking it through?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
People pass out for many reasons Jay....and unfortunately she was never properly evaluated.

Still zero evidence what's being repeated as fact ever happened.

Lack of critical thought has gotten this country in the current fixes it is in. This is a microcosm of the same.
First of all I never repeated anything as a fact, only a hypothesis. Everything we are discussing here is hypothetical, and they are all possibilities. Any legitimate analysis starts this way if they are going to find out what actually happened to Ara. Jayson wants to know and well he should. He is in contact with a police detective already who is looking into it. If Ara in fact was drugged by someone that rises to the level of a criminal act. I would think he will be exploring all options and the one I presented would have to be one of them.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
555.JPG
134.JPG

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all I never repeated anything as a fact, only a hypothesis. Everything we are discussing here is hypothetical, and they are all possibilities. Any legitimate analysis starts this way if they are going to find out what actually happened to Ara. Jayson wants to know and well he should. He is in contact with a police detective already who is looking into it. If Ara in fact was drugged by someone that rises to the level of a criminal act. I would think he will be exploring all options and the one I presented would have to be one of them.
Police investigation of high stakes pool could have repercussions. Every person who bet big on on Orcullo's side will be a suspect along with everyone in the room.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can't wrap my head around Jayson leaving his wife semi-conscious and vomiting on the bathroom floor of a hotel room after she took a header to a hardwood floor which caused her to flatline; essentially leaving her to (potentially) die alone. The lack of immediate medical attention is maddening. You have no control over the who, how and why but there was certainly control over next steps post incident. Terrible judgement was exercised in a seemingly life and death situation. Fortunately (for all involved) she pulled through. Hopefully she makes a full recovery and does not have any long term effects from her injuries.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can't wrap my head around Jayson leaving his wife semi-conscious and vomiting on the bathroom floor of a hotel room after she took a header to a hardwood floor which caused her to flatline; essentially leaving her to (potentially) die alone. The lack of immediate medical attention is maddening. You have no control over the who, how and why but there was certainly control over next steps post incident. Terrible judgement was exercised in a seemingly life and death situation. Fortunately (for all involved) she pulled through. Hopefully she makes a full recovery and does not have any long term effects from her injuries.
Those sort of fractures carry a 20% mortality rate. Very serious traumatic brain injury.

He says the ambulance driver urged him not to bring her in, assuming she had drank too much and just needed to sleep it off. That sort of incompetence is actionable and investigating that could be much more beneficial.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those sort of fractures carry a 20% mortality rate. Very serious traumatic brain injury.

He says the ambulance driver urged him not to bring her in, assuming she had drank too much and just needed to sleep it off. That sort of incompetence is actionable and investigating that could be much more beneficial.
Agreed and I'd be VERY surprised if it actually went down that way. In my experience, paramedics err on the side of caution and I've never heard a paramedic not recommend a hospital visit when a serious injury was involved.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are so many unknowns though could it be someone else was there and Jayson was told to go take care of bisiness by his peeps.

Reactions: JAM

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are so many unknowns though could it be someone else was there and Jayson was told to go take care of bisiness by his peeps.
Unless there was a gun being held to his head to go play, the smart move was to stay with his wife and get her to a hospital.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Police investigation of high stakes pool could have repercussions. Every person who bet big on on Orcullo's side will be a suspect along with everyone in the room.
Who cares. That's all secondary to finding out the truth about ARA

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
While I still think it is most likely a medical condition is at the heart of Ara's issues that caused the fall, if she was drugged the police will be hunting a needle in a haystack even if it is a bad pun! The big game probably attracted some strangers from outside the pool world and this seems to have happened in the bar. Again, an "outsider" not part of the pool world could be involved.

I understand that Ara and Jayson were both drinking after the match making an errant drugging more possible but the more I think about it as the situation continues to occupy the forum, I become more doubtful someone from the pool world drugged her or anyone at all drugged her. Alcohol and OTC medicines can not play well together. Many don't know that Aspirin at over recommended doses can become a sedative or tranquilizer. a depressant at any rate. Antibiotics are another possibility. The alcohol alone coupled with moving quickly might be all it took.

The skull damage complicated what might have been a very minor incident. Since the incident became much more serious we are casting about far and wide for a cause. I suffer from dizzy spells now fairly regularly but I have had the occasional dizzy spell, a few a year, for as long as I can remember. I consider them normal, doesn't everyone get a dizzy spell once in awhile? I think further thought and and reflection will reveal that the damage due to the fall is causing us to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Agreed. Medics dont tell people they aren't going to hospital but can tell them they are.

Medics do tend to err on the side of caution. With the covid cases packed in the emergency area and all over hospitals even my surgeon said don't go near a hospital, particularly an emergency room, if I could avoid it. When this seemed like the typical person that has had too much to drink and has fallen the side of caution might have been to not take her to the emergency room.

Of course that required the medic(s) making some decisions well above their pay grade but sometimes they have little choice. A major wreck I worked involved a car load of teenagers. Most broken or bleeding, one girl without a mark on her. She seemed shaken so they sat her down on a high curb just out of the area with the most commotion. Not long after she fell over dead. She had been in the middle of the front seat and when she went forward her forehead hit the radio knob. Knocked a cookie cutter hole in her forehead and there was no swelling, not even an obvious mark. She was the only fatality in the two car head on wreck.

Hu

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just don't understand why everyone thinks they need to know the facts. None of it is anyone's business but Jason and his wife's. If they choose to share any or all of it is their business and their business only. The only thing about this that anyone should be concerned about is how is she doing, and pray for a full recovery. All this crap about whether he should have played or not, is just BS. Sports people continue on all the time, heck she may have actually told him she wanted to continue playing. Nobody knows for sure, and it really doesn't matter as to what you would do in such a situation. Some of you should be more concerned with what really matters, that she is doing better, and forget about all this other stupid stuff.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just don't understand why everyone thinks they need to know the facts. None of it is anyone's business but Jason and his wife's. If they choose to share any or all of it is their business and their business only. The only thing about this that anyone should be concerned about is how is she doing, and pray for a full recovery. All this crap about whether he should have played or not, is just BS. Sports people continue on all the time, heck she may have actually told him she wanted to continue playing. Nobody knows for sure, and it really doesn't matter as to what you would do in such a situation. Some of you should be more concerned with what really matters, that she is doing better, and forget about all this other stupid stuff.

DeeDeeCues

Just got off the phone with Jayson. He and Ara have had a tortuous few days and it truly was touch and go for her survival. That much we know for sure. She is still in a hospital near her home in Boston and should be released soon. But her rehabilitation is just beginning. In all liklihood it will be weeks and maybe months before Ara has completely recovered from this experience.

After Jayson described all the symptoms she exhibited I began to suspect that she may have been the victim of a date-rape drug. That night after the match concluded she was at the bar with Jayson and their friends, but other people (men) were also in the area, and there was a lot of mingling with the crowd. Someone with bad intentions may have not even known who she was or her relationship with Jayson, and only saw her as an attractive young woman that could be taken advantage of.

I am not a docter and don't profess to have all the answers. I do know from what I've seen online posted by medical people that these so-called date-rape drugs can be deadly. There have been many incidents already of women succumbing (passing out and remaining unconscious) to their effects, and expiring that night or the next day. It has been happening in party spots all over the country. You will find reports about some of them online where a woman died or was incapacited and left somewhere in critical condition. Some of these drugs (again from published reports) say they can become undetectable less than 24 hours afterwards.

Whether they will ever get to the bottom of this or find the person(s) responsible we don't know. What is important is that Ara Shaw recovers and we see her again with Jayson at pool tournaments in the future. It is no accident that Jayson's career really took off during his relationship and subsequent marriage to Ara. She has been his inspiration and a whole lot more. Wishing them both the best. As Dennis shared with me a couple of days ago, "Jayson played so good and I don't know if I can win. He is one of the best players I ever play with."

You are usually a good poster, but you can't even spell 'doctor'. Your info is second hand and you have no medical training. Maybe Jayson has medical training, I don't know. These posts are not helping anybody, just feeding the grist mill.
Any legitimate analysis starts this way if they are going to find out what actually happened to Ara.

No, they start with facts. Before hypothesizing on drugs, they would have either an admission or a drug test.

And you aren't Columbo, either.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unless there was a gun being held to his head to go play, the smart move was to stay with his wife and get her to a hospital.
In our phone call, Jayson was torn between continuing the match or staying at the hotel with Ara. They both thought she would recover during the course of the day and she should just stay in the hotel room and rest, and not come with him to the match, since she was still feeling sick. Jayson was concerned that if he tried to postpone or delay the match he would be harshly criticized. I told him that no one that mattered would be critical if he had asked Dennis and Roy to delay the match. Dennis had told me earlier that he would not have objected if he had known how sick Ara was. Dennis was long gone from the pool hall when this happened. He had left to get some rest and came back early the next day to practice his break.

Jayson kept in touch with his wife during the course of play on day three via text messages and when she informed him of how bad she was doing he became more concerned again, but continued to play, with her well being weighing heavily on his mind. I asked Jayson if anyone was there in the hotel with Ara, and he told me she was alone. At some point as the day progressed and she kept sending him messages about vomiting and laying on the floor he just wanted to get the match over with and get back to her.

It was a bad situation for Jayson and Ara to be in. He wanted to quit but felt like he couldn't. Jayson was caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. He and Ara were dealing with a situation where they had no prior experience. I have a lot of respect for Jayson, and after our long phone call that only increased. He is a good man that loves his wife with all his heart and takes his position in the pool community seriously, working hard at his job. He prepared himself well for this match. That much was obvious. The money that was on the line was important to him, much of it his and Ara's. This was no exhibition! I will give him and Ara the benefit of the doubt in all cases here. It was hard for them to know what the best course of action was. Any of us may have done the same thing under the circumstances.

My advice to Jayson, Ara and everyone else is to always be on your guard during these troubled times. Crazy things are happening all around us and none of us want to get caught up in it. Flash mobs robbing high end stores in the middle of the day, streetside armed robberies at upscale eating places also in the middle of the day, follow home robberies after shopping in high end stores, and more and more violent behaviors playing out in unlikely places. This is so unlike any other time I can remember during my life. We are living in a time when those who would harm us do not fear any repercussions. You can't depend on the police to protect you. You must look out for yourself at all times. As for me, I'm driving a used Camry and will forego any shopping at high end malls or business areas like in Beverly Hills. I'll stick to the blue collar neighborhood where I live and still watch my back when I go out. All these years around poolrooms and gambling joints has given me a pretty good built in radar. I automatically stay aware of my surroundings and who is in my area. I will spot a weirdo before anyone else.

Last edited: