Jeremy Jones taking over for Earl on team

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having JJ play instead of Earl is definitely a step down skill wise. I don't see JJ beating anyone from Europe in a heads up race.

Tristan

Big 'Bumpin'
Silver Member
Having JJ play instead of Earl is definitely a step down skill wise. I don't see JJ beating anyone from Europe in a heads up race.
You're not wrong, but anything can happen in a race to 5.

I don't like Earl's antics and think he's generally a poor sport -- BUT he would have been great for ratings, and after all the Mosconi is more of an exhibition than a hardcore competition. Kind of hope they invite him to Vegas for next year's so I can watch the fireworks in person.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the others are vaccinated and he's not- there are probably different protocols for quarantine based on vaccine status
Appleton posted something on FB and that’s basically what he said was the situation.

geoff_182

Hypothetically, what would happen if another American player had to drop out? Would they cancel the event? Could the American team play with 4 players? Or would they look for an American pool player in the London area to sub in?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetically, what would happen if another American player had to drop out? Would they cancel the event? Could the American team play with 4 players? Or would they look for an American pool player in the London area to sub in?
Either cancel or play 4-man teams i'd guess. Possibly add a local top player.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they all traveled on the same flight, they all have the same risk of getting COVID by the infected passenger.
I don't think that necessarily has to be true.
I think rather than being on the same flight, their proximity to the affected individual would play a bigger factor, and you still have not consider things like personal hygiene that are also effective ways of avoiding contraction.

Wonder if any US players traveled to spectate.

Matchroom dogged it by not making it a requirement.
In hindsight, Matchroom mandating a vaccine could have "solved" Earl's wildcard pick in that would he (or any unvaccinated player that's medically able to receive it, because I don't know whether or not Earl even can) risk the jab for, at worst, a $15k paycheck minus travel/lodging.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not wrong, but anything can happen in a race to 5.

I don't like Earl's antics and think he's generally a poor sport -- BUT he would have been great for ratings, and after all the Mosconi is more of an exhibition than a hardcore competition. Kind of hope they invite him to Vegas for next year's so I can watch the fireworks in person.
JJ is not a world class player....
He'd say that himself.

Just let us draw players from everywhere except Europe and we might have a chance.