Jeremy Jones taking over for Earl on team

buttnkdwonder

Registered
Bottom line is that this is an ultimate failure of both team USA leadership and Matchroom. How were they comfortable putting themselves at such a disadvantage by rostering an unvaccinated player? Look at what is happening in professional sports—this should have been expected and every single measure should have been taken to ensure they could field the most competitive team possible. That includes an early trip to London with a fully vaccinated team, strategies that could minimize the risk of someone not being able to play last minute. And their backup plan is having Jeremy Jones sub in? Seriously?

No disrespect to JJ, I love him, but it’s embarrassing that that our plan B is to sub in a retired player in a situation that could have easily been predicted given that we had an unvaxxed player on the team. Imagine the Michigan QB goes down and they sub in Jim Harbaugh. It’s an amateur hour performance for a sport that can’t seem to do what it takes to be taken seriously as a truly professional sport.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will make only one prediction about the hopefully upcoming MC. Jeremy Jones will not make a fool of himself. The man is a lifetime high quality player who is still in his prime. He has done well in select tournaments (probably better than Earl) during the last two years. Jeremy is mature and knows how to handle himself both on and off the table. Yes it is one big clusterfuc' that it came to this, but it is what it is and I'm glad that Jeremy is there to take up the slack. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him lead the team and make a close match out of this. This might turn out to be the best thing that's happened to Team USA.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will make only one prediction about the hopefully upcoming MC. Jeremy Jones will not make a fool of himself. The man is a lifetime high quality player who is still in his prime. He has done well in select tournaments (probably better than Earl) during the last two years. Jeremy is mature and knows how to handle himself both on and off the table. Yes it is one big clusterfuc' that it came to this, but it is what it is and I'm glad that Jeremy is there to take up the slack. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him lead the team and make a close match out of this. This might turn out to be the best thing that's happened to Team USA.
Be the biggest upset ever probably. Maybe its MR's plan all along??? ;)

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line is that this is an ultimate failure of both team USA leadership and Matchroom. How were they comfortable putting themselves at such a disadvantage by rostering an unvaccinated player? Look at what is happening in professional sports—this should have been expected and every single measure should have been taken to ensure they could field the most competitive team possible. That includes an early trip to London with a fully vaccinated team, strategies that could minimize the risk of someone not being able to play last minute. And their backup plan is having Jeremy Jones sub in? Seriously?

No disrespect to JJ, I love him, but it’s embarrassing that that our plan B is to sub in a retired player in a situation that could have easily been predicted given that we had an unvaxxed player on the team. Imagine the Michigan QB goes down and they sub in Jim Harbaugh. It’s an amateur hour performance for a sport that can’t seem to do what it takes to be taken seriously as a truly professional sport.
Put Dechaine and Bergman on a private jet....there's still time.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s pretty brutal, but my guess is that the players feel the same way, and I can only imagine how furious Emily is right now.

You know, there is a broadway singer who I adore, but she chose no vaccine and was recently dropped from a show -- in the future she will probably be, maybe, singing the National Anthem at baseball stadiums and I'm good with that. You need to look out for, just not yourself, but your fellow citizens.

Lou Figueroa

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl got the worst beat I’ve ever seen in pool.

Having said that,JJ is a great player, plays great on the big stage-that’s proven. He is a fantastic leader and a tremendous player.

The ability to handle the heat > Fargo Rating numbers

JJ is a proven player.

I wish him the best 💪

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Hypothetically, what would happen if another American player had to drop out? Would they cancel the event? Could the American team play with 4 players? Or would they look for an American pool player in the London area to sub in?
Maybe they could subsitute for an Euro player from what would have been the second quad. The Americans may just have a scrapping chance then...lol

Team Europe looked supremely confident. Playing in front of the home crowd. Expected to dominate. Hmm... Things start going off the rails, anything can happen. It's 9 ball...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just msg'd with a guy who is a friend of Sky's. He isn't vaccinated either but he did not have a positive 'contact trace'. As long as Earl tests neg. in isolation all is good. If he tests positive then the team will have to be tested. The reason they weren't isolated was no one had been tested positive for covid. Earl has tested a few times and all were neg. AFAIK everyone else was vax'd. Earl was only one to have the pos. trace. Sky dodged a bullet. He could have easily been isolated too.

Reactions: bbb

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Millions who would be alive today if we had a 20mph speed limit on every road...
More people die on the street in low-speed crashes, than on the Highways. So, try again. It’s about risk, its much safer to fly than to drive, but we drive much more often, knowing that traffic going the other way can cross the line and it’s most likely death for us. Is the risk worth driving? It seems reasonable enough for us to be willing to drive. The Vaccines reduce the risk of serious illness, hospitalization, or Death. After 700,000+ Deaths, it doesn’t seem Smart to avoid the Vaccine and risks associated with full-blown COVID-19 or its variants. Your Brakes could fail, but not likely. Do we know for sure that Earl wasn’t vaccinated? There are too many people everywhere with no Mask on, and unvaccinated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More people die on the street in low-speed crashes, than on the Highways. So, try again. It’s about risk, its much safer to fly than to drive, but we drive much more often, knowing that traffic going the other way can cross the line and it’s most likely death for us. Is the risk worth driving? It seems reasonable enough for us to be willing to drive. The Vaccines reduce the risk of serious illness, hospitalization, or Death. After 700,000+ Deaths, it doesn’t seem Smart to avoid the Vaccine and risks associated with full-blown COVID-19 or its variants. Your Brakes could fail, but not likely. Do we know for sure that Earl wasn’t vaccinated? There are too many people everywhere with no Mask on, and unvaccinated.
Earl and Sky both. Sky dodged a bullet,

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Closer to the worse.
But he was the most corrupt president ever.

Nobody stole the election form anyone.
Repeating lies does not make them truth.

The plandemic that he totally mismanaged;
except for the funding of vaccines,
which he has taken,
and 80% of his beloving followers have not ??

You sound like my wife.........
Your wife sounds like a very smart lady

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I've had Covid and it sucked, had three very bad days out of the 14 days I stayed home. It was much like the flu, with the exception of the taste and smell thing. Only lost some tastes and smells. Never had an issue breathing, but couldn't take a huge breath. The last time I had the flu I had nearly identical symptoms. Stayed moving, eating, drinking fluids and not taking NSAIDS.

The other thing to remember is the flu kills a ton of people every year (hundreds of thousands +/- a few) and nobody hates you if you skip the flu vaccine.

Back to the original thread though. Sucks for Earl. I was excited to see him play. I hope JJ brings his A+ game and I'll be rooting for them! I'd hate to see a whooping on the US team again.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody should be forced to take any medical procedure!! You could equate this whole thing to the sign of the beast. Pretty soon you won’t be able to get gasoline or buy food without proof of being vaccinated.

Did they ask Earl or any of the other players is they are vaccinated for measles or polio? Oh they didn’t? Then it’s non of their goddamn business if Earl is vaccinated or not!! Too bad really I was really looking forward to this year but whatever excitement I had for it has gone away. Maybe England should get their heads out of the fog and let him play after a negative test because… you know…. It’s NEGATIVE!! 🙄
Not sure if I would call a vaccine a medical procedure, but that aside, the fact is that covid.19 is still spreading and mainly amongst those who aren't vaccinated. Covid-19 has shut down the world for 2+ years now and the deaths in USA is getting ever closer to a million people, world wide over 5 million! people have died, that's why some countries is actually considering the vaccine to be mandatory. Your freedom to not take the vaccine jeapordizes my health and freedom. So the old "your freedom to move your arm stops at my nosetip" does not really work in a scenario like this.
It's a shame that discussions on AZB tend to stray from the topic and over in to conspiracy territory.
If Earl is unvaccinated, he's not just putting himself at risk, he's a potential risk to others as well, that's why the quarantine system is in place, false positive tests are a real thing and we have to act accordingly.
Obviously this sucks for Earl, Mosconi cup, he's team mates and opponents and the pool world in general.