The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yeah, I get you. But it doesn’t really matter until someone hits their PB or threatens John’s 626. Then they can watch the video back and confirm everything. These guys are giving their time to sit there and rack balls hour after hour. I think we can forgive them missing the scoreboard every now and then.
Its really simple, get a deck of cards. As the player gets ready to start the first break, lay an Ace card on a table face up, that's a 1, being the first rack of 14. Then before the next rack starts, lay down a 2, then a 3, a 4, a 5 all the way up to the 10. Once the 10th rack is complete pick the cards up, lay down a King, that represents 10 racks, start over with the Ace. When a player misses, count the remaining balls on the table, say its 5 remaining.

Then add the score up, 2 kings, plus the 7 card equals 27 racks × 14 = 378- 5 remaining balls equals a high run of 373 balls. No need to sit there and watch every ball made, and count every one if them. All you need to do is count the racks, count the balls remaining after a miss, do the simple math and you have an accurate score.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I watched about 15 racks total. If I didn't know better I would say it looked like Earl never played a rack of straight pool in his life. Even the racks he ran out were ugly.
Then again pretty doesn't always win.

I understand managment of focus and concentration for long periods of time. Earl looked like he was in a hurry to catch a bus that left the station.
All in all, anytime we get a chance to watch Earl is a gift, good or bad. It would be great if we could view the past greats as we can the present.
What a stroke.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be far different if there was an opponent. Earl just might find that an incentive to play differently. When he got in trouble yesterday he seemed to give up on shots. In a competition he may have tried to shoot and play slightly more conservatively thus possibly extending his runs. Many times he just swept the ball and started over..
His complaints about the table were from frustration caused by him not truly paying closer attention to where the cue ball would end up.. Those subtle nuances are what matter in straight pool.... The game of truth...

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be far different if there was an opponent. Earl just might find that an incentive to play differently. When he got in trouble yesterday he seemed to give up on shots. In a competition he may have tried to shoot and play slightly more conservatively thus possibly extending his runs. Many times he just swept the ball and started over..
His complaints about the table were from frustration caused by him not truly paying closer attention to where the cue ball would end up.. Those subtle nuances are what matter in straight pool.... The game of truth...
In a competition he would have done the same thing, except with some added abuse piled on his opponent or the fans for good measure.

Wrldpro and others have worked hard to set up a top quality, fair venue for straight pool runs. Earl expresses his gratitude by slamming the equipment and blaming them for his failures.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put Earl in the category of guys who are not straight pool players but can run a lot of balls because the shoot straight. I noticed a few times when he raked the cue ball without trying a shot that I would have tried. One example he missed the rack on his break shot and the cue ball was below the rack. Standard shot there to continue the run is hit the corner ball one rail cross side. It's not high percentage but if you know the shot you can get it close and sometimes make it. Earl didn't know the shot and just raked the cue ball. He also seems to be guessing on his break shots sometimes. Filler and Gorst played in the finals of the American 14.1 championship and they are similar to Earl. Both of them scratched in the corner pocket on a break shot. I saw Earl do that yesterday a couple times. More knowledgeable 14.1 players would avoid that but guys like Earl, Gorst and Filler shoot so straight they can still beat the more knowledgeable players at their own game.

I enjoy watching play because of how high a gear he is capable of getting to. You don't have to wonder what he is thinking. Just turn the sound up and he will tell you.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how he can blame everything but himself for why a run ends. He's run more in these attempts than I ever will, but sure does seem like he's not taking his time and not playing standard patterns. Yeah, he can shoot his way out of it most times, but it's a game of inches and you gotta feel that the huge run is not going to happen the way he's going about it. I hope I am wrong.

gerryf

1640794419502.png

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Numbers from Earl Strickland High Runs.

Earl Strickland
Shane Van Boening
Ruslan Chinakhov
View attachment 621884View attachment 621872Ruslan Chinakhov only made 10 attempts,

Day0

Day1

Total
Innings213859
Total balls59013401930
Max91169169
Min000
Avg BPI2835
Total for 5 days
Innings
95​
Total balls
5929​
Max
308​
Min
0​
Avg BPI
63​
Total for one day
Innings
10​
Total balls
1267​
Max
266​
Min
0​
Avg BPI
127​
Earl's BPI was well affected by his slow start. On Day 1, he had 11 attempts that scored less than 10 balls.Shane also had 11 attempts that scored less than 10 balls, but they were spread out over 5 days.Ruslan had one attempt that scored less than 10 balls.
Notes:
1. The Facebook page says Earl ran 117 on Day 0, but it doesn't appear in the videos.
2. The Facebook page says the high run for Day 1 was 155, but the score keeper forgot to increment the rack counter, missing a rack, so the actual high run was 169.

I think the 117 may have happened when he first got there and was warming up without the video running.

Lou Figueroa

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If accuracy is a problem with lower high runs, then it's really questionable with higher runs. If they can't keep track accurately, then they need to quit this pursuit of a high run exhibition!!

are you aware of the concept "video"? we can all see the live stream. unless it's a CGI animation we are being broadcasted, i don't see how a high run can be questionable or inaccurate with hundreds of observant viewers.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put Earl in the category of guys who are not straight pool players but can run a lot of balls because the shoot straight. I noticed a few times when he raked the cue ball without trying a shot that I would have tried. One example he missed the rack on his break shot and the cue ball was below the rack. Standard shot there to continue the run is hit the corner ball one rail cross side. It's not high percentage but if you know the shot you can get it close and sometimes make it. Earl didn't know the shot and just raked the cue ball. He also seems to be guessing on his break shots sometimes. Filler and Gorst played in the finals of the American 14.1 championship and they are similar to Earl. Both of them scratched in the corner pocket on a break shot. I saw Earl do that yesterday a couple times. More knowledgeable 14.1 players would avoid that but guys like Earl, Gorst and Filler shoot so straight they can still beat the more knowledgeable players at their own game.

I enjoy watching play because of how high a gear he is capable of getting to. You don't have to wonder what he is thinking. Just turn the sound up and he will tell you.
I played Rempe in a straight pool tournament back in the early 80s. I believe I lost 125 to 30-something. The one thing I can remember from playing him was how boring it was watching him run balls. He was never on a rail, always had natural angles, and his cue was always about 10 inches from his object ball. Not only didn't he ever miss, but there wasn't ever a shot I even had a hope of him missing. Now contrast that to watching Filler run balls...it seemed like every rack he shoots a few balls that he could possibly miss. In short, you can definitely see the difference watching a rotation player playing straight pool as opposed to watching a straight pool player.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night was cool to see Earl play. The pace at which he plays is crazy and good for TV. However sometimes I think his pace of play might get him in trouble. It seemed the later it went and the more times Earl needed to start again, the more he got frustrated. As we all know, one needs to be really focused when doing high runs like this. One small positional mistake can make the difference. That is why I personally don't think Earl is going to run anything really high unless he does it in his first couple attempts. Interesting enough someone last night made the same observation and correctly guessed that Earl wouldn't go past 200. Also interesting was that comment was taken down. Don't understand why. It was an accurate observation that most of us saw. If Earl can keep it together and maybe get a roll here or there, he can absolutely put together a high run. I will be tuning in tonight to see what he does.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether he runs several hundred, or not, I like watching him play.

He is poetry in motion.

He doesn’t sit around all day on each and every shot, maybe to his detriment, but it makes watching straight pool a lot easier.

It is amazing that his eyes are still so good and that he can make difficult shots look so easy.

I hope they turn his mic volume up…I like hearing his comments as he plays.

Go, Earl, go!

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
If a player puts up a really big significant number we'll take a close look at it and verify by checking the video.

Right now Bobby is pretty much a one-man-band doing the tech and racking, so it's not so easy.

Lou Figueroa
That’s exactly what I meant sorry, replying to RKC.

And btw, really appreciate the streams you guys are providing. Thank you all involved 💕

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player puts up a really big significant number we'll take a close look at it and verify by checking the video.

Right now Bobby is pretty much a one-man-band doing the tech and racking, so it's not so easy.

Lou Figueroa

Doing great so far. I think Earl will settle in some and start to put up bigger runs. I will watch when I can and hope he catches "The Earl Gear" at some point.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a lot of ways the things Earl says or does after a screw up are pretty typical of pool players everywhere..no matter the language they speak. For being "more like us" he gets mountains of criticism. I'm not giving him a free pass on some of his worst incidents but he IS a Legend of the game and should be given some grace. It is also well known there may be other issues at play too.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether he runs several hundred, or not, I like watching him play.

He is poetry in motion.

He doesn’t sit around all day on each and every shot, maybe to his detriment, but it makes watching straight pool a lot easier.

It is amazing that his eyes are still so good and that he can make difficult shots look so easy.

I hope they turn his mic volume up…I like hearing his comments as he plays.

Go, Earl, go!

The faster play is great to watch...if the balls need to be dusted between shots I lose interest in watching very quickly!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how he can blame everything but himself for why a run ends. He's run more in these attempts than I ever will, but sure does seem like he's not taking his time and not playing standard patterns. Yeah, he can shoot his way out of it most times, but it's a game of inches and you gotta feel that the huge run is not going to happen the way he's going about it. I hope I am wrong.
Not making excuses for him but I think it's a way of releasing frustration and getting it out of his system. Some people keep it inside.