CTE Stepping Cue Ball.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, I'm a CTE believer and user, the troll would be you.
OK, then let's make another try at an adult conversation:

What is it about the CTE method that links the random ball positions to the center of the pocket? In Poolology it is the inscribed angle theorem. How are the balls tied to the correct shot line by using CTE?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Why do you think CTE doesn't work?
Oh, I don't know... maybe it's the way it's "described". Here's an example that's supposed to "take you to the shot line with a slight overcut for throw":

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

I guess it takes a "special" mind to interpret it - you have it; I don't.

pj
chgo

Reactions: JC

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to a eye doctor recently and asked her what she thought of the phrase called visual intelligence and she thought it was ridiculous.

Ok, maybe so.

It turns out I have strabismus, regardless, she tests me on a close up visual test and asks me if I see one image and I try my best to explain to her, by simply saying yes but I have two eyes.

She just simply doesn't understand the fact, that no matter what, there are two images always, so in my opinion, vision or visuals is relative.

Just because the average mind forms a supposed single visual, doesn't change the fact that there are two and I see too despite the fact that there is one but not really if I "look at it".

I should have went to Stan and gave him 300 bucks, because bottom line, that old bitch doesn't give a shit about eyes. She simply didn't like me because I understand vision differently and I acknowledge it differently because I have to and I explain that to her based off of the billiard experience.... She sent me out the door with eyes dilated and no warning or explanation or dark temporary glasses.

Maybe Stan would be better off calling it visual coordination, but I don't mind his terminology, especially when you have these supposed professional practitioners who don't get into the deeper subjects of vision as it pertains to different experiences other than walking around and reading and or driving or sightseeing.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, then let's make another try at an adult conversation:

What is it about the CTE method that links the random ball positions to the center of the pocket? In Poolology it is the inscribed angle theorem. How are the balls tied to the correct shot line by using CTE?
Since you mentioned it I'll pose a question for you, and I like Brian (BC21) and not slamming his system, had his book since it came out, but why don't you explain to me how "inscribed angle theorem" connects balls to the pocket. As I recall when I worked with it the line through the cue ball to the object ball goes to a rail number, and the object ball position on the table (numerical grid basically) are use in a formula that gives a desired fractional ball hit, which all makes sense if you can accurately shoot at fractional overlaps? Inscribed angle theorem is common mathematics but I don't really get how it applies, maybe you do?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Just because the average mind forms a supposed single visual, doesn't change the fact that there are two and I see too despite the fact that there is one but not really if I "look at it".
I'm guessing pool players poke into it a bit more. I mean an optometrist basically needs to know, do you see it clear or not? Playing pool we must ride the razor's edge of how our bodies work. Very little room for being off in pool so you learn all the little quirks. We either must study or innately understand how eyes work at different focal distances, heights etc. If you pay attention close enough you have to understand a bit more.

"The Iceman" can and has done things that were thought to not be humanly possible. He does it through breathing. At first no one understood what was going on. After being subjected to much study, we are starting to understand some things. If you were to ask your doctor about warming your body through breathing a decade ago (or even now) they would think you were nuts and might believe you needed psychiatric help. An optometrist needs to know the basics to get people properly "fixed up." They don't need to really truly know how eyes work and might even get annoyed if you try to explain it to them.

When shooting a rifle with a scope, I discovered long ago that I can get on target much faster if I keep both eyes open. I'm sure many sportsmen will say this is wrong. Basically there is not transition between open eyes and finding the target in a little peephole where it might go black for a second. I'm on target at range with one eye and the other comes in under magnification without losing any visual info.

I'm sure there are many many more examples of things like this. Things where people deeply practicing some discipline understand the human body more than experts. They might not know the science but they know how it works in actuality and can tune it to work like a fine instrument.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you mentioned it I'll pose a question for you, and I like Brian (BC21) and not slamming his system, had his book since it came out, but why don't you explain to me how "inscribed angle theorem" connects balls to the pocket. As I recall when I worked with it the line through the cue ball to the object ball goes to a rail number, and the object ball position on the table (numerical grid basically) are use in a formula that gives a desired fractional ball hit, which all makes sense if you can accurately shoot at fractional overlaps? Inscribed angle theorem is common mathematics but I don't really get how it applies, maybe you do?
I think the diagram is in the book, and I know Brian made a post on AZ describing it. I can't describe how it works without the diagrams other than to say those diagrams show exactly why it works. The diamond has to be on the circle, as well as the ball. I think the pocket is also on the circle...maybe, it's been over a year since I saw it. I can say that technically the ball positions should be on curved arcs like on a circle but this is too difficult to visualize on a pool table so Brian made a simplifying assumption and turned those curves into straight lines. It still works very well. If I had the links I'd post them. Maybe Brian will if he sees this.

Your turn. I just said above that it is explained somewhere because it actually is. "It's in Stan's book" is not an answer because we all know it isn't.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

It's shown here...

I keep saying "30 degree" angle, but that template is more like 26 or 28°. Here's a pic...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-101933_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-101933_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bbb

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's shown here...

I keep saying "30 degree" angle, but that template is more like 26 or 28°. Here's a pic...
In case you guys are getting the idea that Brian is very smart in coming up with Poolology, I have it on good authority that those are not actually books on the wall. It is just wallpaper made to look like lots of well read books. :giggle:

boogieman

Two of the final 16 players at turning stone use CTE.
12.5%? That's a long way from the claims I've heard in the past that all top players use it and keep it such a tightly guarded secret that only those in the secret society know about. Imagine if the secret had not been shared, there may only be 1% of players to ever use CTE! 😯 Pool would be a sad shell of what it is today.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12.5%? That's a long way from the claims I've heard in the past that all top players use it and keep it such a tightly guarded secret that only those in the secret society know about. Imagine if the secret had not been shared, there may only be 1% of players to ever use CTE! 😯 Pool would be a sad shell of what it is today.
Well it’s two that I know of. All 16 may use it but I only post what I know for sure is true. Can you confirm that none of the other 14 don’t use it.

boogieman

Well it’s two that I know of. All 16 may use it but I only post what I know for sure is true. Can you confirm that none of the other 14 don’t use it.
Sure but I'll use your research to do so. Go ahead and confirm how many of the remaining 14 use CTE and I'll believe it. There's no need for deception when discussing aiming systems so I'll fully believe the number you give me.

If you give me an apple I'll let you whitewash my fence for a few minutes too. 😅

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure but I'll use your research to do so. Go ahead and confirm how many of the remaining 14 use CTE and I'll believe it. There's no need for deception when discussing aiming systems so I'll fully believe the number you give me.

If you give me an apple I'll let you whitewash my fence for a few minutes too. 😅
Like I already said, I can’t confirm or deny if the other 14 do or don’t. I just know for sure that 2 of them do. And you should believe everything I post, I’ve given you no reason not to.