This spot shot bullshit has got to stop

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don’t like the shoot-off either....short sets, best of whatever is fine for me.

• Love
Reactions: sjm

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don´t mind set matches. But shootout is shit. They could re-lag and play decider game. Hill-Hill!

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its not a rated event so FR's don't mean much. If you follow pro pool much at all you'll recognize the big names. Pretty good matches tonight. Garcia up now.
seems odd,
right there at the top of the leader board says 'rankings powered by FargoRate'
for a Novus as myself, what's a fargo rate?
I'll assume you mean by not being rated that the weed-whackers (WPA) have no interest in this event?

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always thought this was kind of a dumb argument, albeit an intuitive one. As BRussell already pointed out, this is always a possibility with sets, so if you have a big problem with this, then you have a big problem with multiple sets ever being played anywhere by anyone because this will always--always--be a possibility with multiple sets. Something tells me you aren't actually opposed to multiple sets being played by yourself or others though and that it was just a knee jerk reaction excuse you latched onto to try to justify not liking it for some other reason.

The "but you could win more total games and lose a best of X sets match" argument is in my book akin to the 4th place finisher in a tournament being salty about and complaining about how they won more total games and/or a higher percentage of their games than the winner of the tournament did, and now they are somehow feeling that the format cheated them and they should be the rightful winner of the event. It's silly thinking. Here's the bottom line. They weren't playing for the most total game wins, or the highest percentage of game wins. They were playing who would win all the sets that would ultimately take them to a first place finish, just like in your example they were essentially playing for the best two out of three sets (the third set is obviously a different type but still essentially a set), not the most individual game wins in all the sets.

It is also somewhat akin to a player in a race to 100 complaining that they were literally never behind during the entire set and yet they lost the set because their opponent tied it at the hill and then won the case game. "I was ahead for literally 99% of the match, and yet my opponent is being called the winner, that's BS, I'm clearly the better player as I was leading the entire time". Thing is though you weren't playing for who could spend the most time in the lead, you were playing for who would hit 100 first, and it wasn't you.

You have to win the game that you are playing, not some other game or stat you have made up in your mind which makes no difference whatsoever. Trying to come up with some other format or stat you would have won under is mostly just coming up with excuses to try to make yourself feel better for not having been able to come with it when it was needed so that you could have actually won under the format that you were actually playing.

That is a whole separate topic entirely that you are somehow trying to link together. There are reasonable arguments to be made for staying with the same game always, and also for altering things in an attempt to create sudden death type pressure and excitement. It's personal preference, but what I can say without doubt is that a lot of what pool players like is because that is what they are used to, and if they also got used to something else they might like it just as well or even better. There is almost no doubt that many people will come around to liking this format change once they get fully used to it (and you already see it happening), the only question is will it be enough of them to justify using this format long term? Time will tell, but keeping in mind that more people are going to come around as they get used to it (and seeing the verification of this actually happening) we should probably be willing to give it some time and see how it ultimately ends up shaking out.
I don’t mind the multiple sets. I just said it was a terrible way to decide the winner when they are tied. My point about the games was that normally the better player will win more games which would result in winning most sets. If they played best of 3 sets I would be fine with that.

I can also understand them trying something different. Like I said I watch some of it because I like pool just wish they didn’t shoot spot shots for the decider. However if someone likes it that’s ok with me but personally I don’t. I also said that I was glad they are doing what they do putting on these tournaments for the players. I not going to knock what they are doing except for some criticism of the spot shots. They can run their tournaments however they see fit. I’ll watch some. It’s free and good quality stream.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seems odd,
right there at the top of the leader board says 'rankings powered by FargoRate'
for a Novus as myself, what's a fargo rate?
I'll assume you mean by not being rated that the weed-whackers (WPA) have no interest in this event?
You mean 'NOVICE'??? You joking or you have no clue what Fargo is? Since its an open, non-Fargo rated(meaning no handicaps., all play even) event there's rerally no need to put FR's up. Everyone in this field is probably 750-770 or better. BTW, the 'rankings' you mention are based on points won at each event. Has nada to do with one's FR.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two out of Three sets makes sense, just like a tennis tournament. Shooting spot shots does not. This format is so weak that they might as well forego the sets and just shoot spot shots instead. It will come down to that about half the time anyway.

It's their money, and they are producing these events, so they can run it any way they want. Like I've always said, if you put up enough money the poolplayers will play on the floor! We, as fans, will vote with our attendence and our wallets.

As for me, I chose not to watch it, even if it is a free stream. It just doesn't interest me to watch a faux tournament like this.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two out of Three sets makes sense, just like a tennis tournament. Shooting spot shots does not. This format is so weak that they might as well forego the sets and just shoot spot shots instead. It will come down to that about half the time anyway.

It's their money, and they are producing these events, so they can run it any way they want. Like I've always said, if you put up enough money the poolplayers will play on the floor! We, as fans, will vote with our attendence and our wallets.

As for me, I chose not to watch it, even if it is a free stream. It just doesn't interest me to watch a faux tournament like this.
On the floor, and using croquet mallets!
Does Predator make a low deflection croquet mallet?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
An interesting alternative would be a re-lag and play '2 ahead' alternated break. Lose your 'serve' and you're out.

That might carry on for a bit, but tie breaks in tennis also can.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
This match last night between Oi and Alex P. was pretty good. It ended in a shootout. I would have rather seen more pool like a third set (I think) but the shootout was quick and decisive. The Lion missed and Oi did not.

But, more broadly, we live in pretty good times for pool. Last night, for free, I simultaneously watched Shaw run 300 balls in one window while watching this match in another. Then I closed out the evening by struggling to run 5 balls in my basement.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You mean 'NOVICE'??? You joking or you have no clue what Fargo is? Since its an open, non-Fargo rated(meaning no handicaps., all play even) event there's rerally no need to put FR's up. Everyone in this field is probably 750-770 or better. BTW, the 'rankings' you mention are based on points won at each event. Has nada to do with one's FR.
you said it wasn't a rated event, and I'm not conflating a fargo number into some handicap attribute for this event.

Who can possibly rate an event? by what, who's standard ...a 'RERALLY' of no fargo numbers just isn't very informational?

So, you're saying no 600's or maybe even a 500 is in? God forgive if a 400 ever slipped in this open...

and yes, a NOVICE most of the time, Novus has its moments.