Who is this guy?

L.S. Dennis

Anyone know who this guy is?

Attachments

• 7947A02C-543E-490D-B759-487C46DBDC27.jpeg
    7947A02C-543E-490D-B759-487C46DBDC27.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 317

JayB93

Could be that a bigger watch was a distraction? I can't stand to have anything on my hands or arms when I play golf or really any sport where there is a connection with my hands. I see some guys with big loose watch and rings on. I'm happily married, but wedding band and watch either don't come along with me or go in the pocket when I play golf.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did Dallas West wear a girls watch?
I once was a watch collector- men's wrist watches from the beginning until1980 or so were much smaller than today- and that spandex watch bracelet pushed up on the wrist always made them look even smaller- it was very common back then - Spiedel made those watch bracelets famous. You may sometimes see their old display cases on the counters of very old still existing Jewelry stores.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once was a watch collector- men's wrist watches from the beginning until1980 or so were much smaller than today- and that spandex watch bracelet pushed up on the wrist always made them look even smaller- it was very common back then - Spiedel made those watch bracelets famous. You may sometimes see their old display cases on the counters of very old still existing Jewelry stores.
No batteries either. The last thing I did before I went to bed was wind the wristwatch.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No batteries either. The last thing I did before I went to bed was wind the wristwatch.
I still have my Dad's- runs perfect after 60+ years and all I ever did was a few cleanings. A Hamilton. I started collecting watches about 25 years ago while searching for pool cues and golf clubs at Garage sales and bought a 1930s watch for 50cents and sold it for $500! I had many finds of watches - Omega Seamasters, etc. - even found one last year at a yard sale and made $300 on it!

It was routine for guys with 20+ years of service to get watches from 1940 to 1970 upon retirement; and many of those watches ended up at yard sales in the 1990s as they started to pass on. Usually in a plastic bag with other costume jewelry - their kids saw no use for wind up watches any more- but there is a big collector base out there for them.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Yep..I have a couple of old watches from the 50's...both run well. Loved the old square faced art deco design. Mine are Omega, and my favorite...an old Lord Elgin.

My wife has a 1957 ladies Hamilton, gold & diamonds..cost quite a bit to have serviced and some missing bracelet links made by a goldsmith. He did a great job, can't tell the difference between new and old. How do I know it's a 1957? Engraved on the back...from my wife's dad to her mom.
Definitely not for sale...

Count me among those who fails to understand the current fad of wearing an alarm clock sized wrist watch.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have the 1951 Hamilton that my Mother bought for Dad when they Married. The glass bezel cracked. Good friends Dad ran a jewelry store
in town and he replaced the lens. That was like 1995 or so. Couldn't believe that there would be one in existence at that time. Watch runs
and keeps great time and looks a little bit smaller than a half dollar on my arm when wearing it. Small watches were what was available
then, even Rolex watches were small compared to time pieces of today.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep..I have a couple of old watches from the 50's...both run well. Loved the old square faced art deco design. Mine are Omega, and my favorite...an old Lord Elgin.

My wife has a 1957 ladies Hamilton, gold & diamonds..cost quite a bit to have serviced and some missing bracelet links made by a goldsmith. He did a great job, can't tell the difference between new and old. How do I know it's a 1957? Engraved on the back...from my wife's dad to her mom.
Definitely not for sale...

Count me among those who fails to understand the current fad of wearing an alarm clock sized wrist watch.
Service prices for the wind ups vary tremendously. You can get taken for high price quotes- I actually had a guy want $400 to service my dad's Hamilton last year- but I found another guy down here in Naples, Fl who sent it out to NYC and back for only $60 and for the past year it has run perfect!
At one time I enjoyed watches almost as much as pool cues, there are books like our old cue blue book to help you ascertain values and model numbers for various U.S. and Swiss wind ups. I loved some of the Art Deco styled watches- sooo cool- just like the 60s pool cues and 50s/60s cars:):)

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Blast from the past. I haven't seen, heard or read the name Spiedel in 60 years?
They still make straps and bracelets.
I have several of their exotic skin straps and a couple of very nice deployant clasp, leather lined rubber sport straps.

Remember that miserable Twist-O-Flex? Still available.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[QUOTE="jimmyco, post: 7158098, member: 108879"

Remember that miserable Twist-O-Flex? Still available.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, as a kid I had a Twist-O-Flex on my $9. Timex. It kept me from breaking the strap. I had no idea they were still made. Right now I have on a 37mm Tag Heuer Professional that's 37 years old. All original, maybe six batteries and it keeps perfect time. Thin too. I don't like those huge clocks either.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree looks like Dallas West about 1970
It is Dallas. He was a great player who somehow managed to stay under the radar compared to some of his contemporaries. He played all games at a high level, including Three Cushions. I believe he is in the HOF. He should be! Still alive and kicking in Rockford, IL. I think he sold his poolroom a few years back.

Last edited: