CTE Stepping Cue Ball.

Thresh

Go watch the videos and see for yourself.
Well since you previously said the head changes position based on the shot, and all the evidence shows Tyler's cue and head relationship is and always has been the exact same.

I can only reach so many logically conclusion.

1) You have described and use CTE wrong
2) Tyler is doing CTE incorrectly
3) Tyler is not using CTE
4) All pictures of Tyler down taking a shot every taken happen to be the exact same cut direction, perspective, and alignment to achieve the exact same head position in relationship to the cue. (Renegade can demonstrate the math for us on those odds, probably use CAD to show it as well)

If there is a different conclusion I should consider, please point it out to me, maybe I missed it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
He's the inventor of the "3-angle system" (actually a "mystified" version of fractional aiming) and the nonsense explanations (see below) from which CTE "grew".

pj
chgo
Psychiatrist To Pat Johnson: "Mr. Johnson, do you remember approximately when you felt the world slipping away from you to develop an obsessive-compulsive disorder to post on a pool forum almost daily for 24 1/2 years and what caused it?"

Pat Johnson: "Well to be exact it was more than just one pool forum. There were multiple forums and thousands of posts. But yes, not approximately but I know EXACTLY the date and the post. It was on Sept. 9, 1997 and it was made on RSB because a man by the name of Hal Houle made a post that hit me in the head like a sledge hammer.

When I read it, I thought the man was stark raving mad crazy! At the time, I was building myself up to be the foremost authority on everything pool and nothing of what he said was part of my agenda based on the way pool was to be played. I mean, I had a real following and this crackpot was threatening my teaching and position on pool. I had to do something so I just laid into him and slammed his concept along with all of his minions. It's possible I did get hit in the head with a sledgehammer because I'm still obsessed with in now as I was then. I only have five to ten other guys who back me up on a daily basis after all these years.

What really frosts my butt is what he posted has been expanded and published in a book, videos have been created, and thousands of pool players worldwide have accepted it and use it to play pool! Even pro players use it! It's disgusting! WTF?!
They even have their own forum on Facebook where they get together daily and praise what it's done for their pool game and how they enjoy it. But, I will keep up the fight. THEY'RE WRONG! THEY'RE WRONG! THEY'RE WRONG! THEY'RE WRONG!

Psychiatrist to Pat Johnson: Mr. Johnson, I don't think I can help you. My diagnosis is you aren't very well CENTERED and you're right on the EDGE of losing all of your marbles. I'd like to refer you to another Dr. but I'm not sure if any of them have openings right now. Keep in touch, OK?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well since you previously said the head changes position based on the shot, and all the evidence shows Tyler's cue and head relationship is and always has been the exact same.

I can only reach so many logically conclusion.

1) You have described and use CTE wrong
2) Tyler is doing CTE incorrectly
3) Tyler is not using CTE
4) All pictures of Tyler down taking a shot every taken happen to be the exact same cut direction, perspective, and alignment to achieve the exact same head position in relationship to the cue. (Renegade can demonstrate the math for us on those odds, probably use CAD to show it as well)

If there is a different conclusion I should consider, please point it out to me, maybe I missed it.
Nope, you nailed it. You can rest peacefully now. Stick with Poolology.

Thresh

Nope, you nailed it. You can rest peacefully now. Stick with Poolology.

There was no such thing as a Mosconi Cup. Mosconi was just starting to make a name for himself in the world of pool.
Hal was on the road with Ralph Greenleaf for years. You sound too young to even know who he was. A WORLD CHAMPION
pool player. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Greenleaf

Hal learned from HIM. And, Hal could definitely play! I saw it and played with him before he became really ill.
What does on the road with Ralph Greenleaf mean? Carried his luggage? Personally coached him?

Did Hal play? Win any big tournaments? His name is dropped a thousand times around here but I can't find any evidence he was even a good player, which might mean he was a great coach. I have no idea, so I'm asking.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
super skill and drill to use is understanding and being able to use a manual pivot before pulling the trigger on the stroke.
Well no kidding. Putting a stroke to the ball has nothing to do with CTE. Neither does controlling the vector of deflection. Do you realize what manual pivoting is really about? Hint: It's not to make the shot go magically in the pocket behind a curtain. Sure, it maximizes the chance for a ball to go in, but it's not why it goes in. Manual pivoting may be part of CTE but it's also generally understood by anyone who is at least a mid C player. It's not magic, it's just how the physics of pool work.

So your saying on one shot you will have your head over they left side of the stick then the next the right side?

With consistency like that I can't see how you would ever miss....

My aiming system is making the ball. If the shot doesn't look right I use Poolology to get back into the ballpark.
You're not really moving/tilting your head or whatever, you're getting the convergence where your eyes focus in the correct spot in relation to the shot line. Whenever you really "see" a shot, you're doing it automatically. Basically a shot either looks right or it doesn't.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well no kidding. Putting a stroke to the ball has nothing to do with CTE. Neither does controlling the vector of deflection. Do you realize what manual pivoting is really about? Hint: It's not to make the shot go magically in the pocket behind a curtain. Sure, it maximizes the chance for a ball to go in, but it's not why it goes in. Manual pivoting may be part of CTE but it's also generally understood by anyone who is at least a mid C player. It's not magic, it's just how the physics of pool work.

You're not really moving/tilting your head or whatever, you're getting the convergence where your eyes focus in the correct spot in relation to the shot line. Whenever you really "see" a shot, you're doing it automatically. Basically a shot either looks right or it doesn't.
LMAO. You are totally clueless! Now I see why you gave up on CTE and couldn't use it properly. Nor do you have a clue what pivoting does, how it works, and how to use it with the correct amount of pivot. You THINK you do but it's so far off base it's laughable. NO "C" player has a full understanding of what a pivot does or can do. Neither do you.

What you said about the head and eyes is more on the mark. What can be seen in photos of Tyler is his eyeline is always angled. However, to learn to see the convergence of the edge and centers it can be taught and is to move the head and face beyond the cue until it can be both seen simultaneously for training purposes. It's to break the habit of having the nose and eyes directly over the cue looking at a fraction or contact point.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What does on the road with Ralph Greenleaf mean? Carried his luggage? Personally coached him?

Did Hal play? Win any big tournaments? His name is dropped a thousand times around here but I can't find any evidence he was even a good player, which might mean he was a great coach. I have no idea, so I'm asking.
What does it mean that you DON'T travel with the best player in the world for any reason simply because they don't want you around since there's nothing to offer or help them? Would they see you as a worthless groupie pest?

Do YOU play? Have YOU won any big tournaments? Do YOU play for big sums of money? Are you one of the top dogs in League play? Do you even have a name that you aren't afraid to reveal because it would expose you as a nobody troll? Actually, not giving your name and putting yourself out there makes you even more of a worthless troll hiding behind anonymity because of fear of exposure.

Those of us who have been on the forums for a long time, whether we agree or disagree, have names and we ALL know who's who. A few of us have made multiple videos and posted them on the forum for people to see our speed. Some have had success in the US Amateur tournament, the biggest event for amateurs.

Others preach a good game with 2D drawings and knowledge of everything math related but never expose themselves or their games.

Tell us about yourself, Newbie expert pool player. I'll add boogieman to the list also. Speak up.

Thresh

What does it mean that you DON'T travel with the best player in the world for any reason simply because they don't want you around since there's nothing to offer or help them? Would they see you as a worthless groupie pest?

Do YOU play? Have YOU won any big tournaments? Do YOU play for big sums of money? Are you one of the top dogs in League play? Do you even have a name that you aren't afraid to reveal because it would expose you as a nobody troll? Actually, not giving your name and putting yourself out there makes you even more of a worthless troll hiding behind anonymity because of fear of exposure.

Those of us who have been on the forums for a long time, whether we agree or disagree, have names and we ALL know who's who. A few of us have made multiple videos and posted them on the forum for people to see our speed. Some have had success in the US Amateur tournament, the biggest event for amateurs.

Others preach a good game with 2D drawings and knowledge of everything math related but never expose themselves or their games.

Tell us about yourself, Newbie expert pool player. I'll add boogieman to the list also. Speak up.
So in this entire response, you gave zero info on Hal, thanks.

Maybe someone else can chime in

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So in this entire response, you gave zero info on Hal, thanks.

Maybe someone else can chime in
So you have zero info on yourself, thanks. Maybe it's time for me to totally block a professional troll. And it's as good as done
in a matter of seconds. Bye-bye.

Thresh

So you have zero info on yourself, thanks. Maybe it's time for me to totally block a professional troll. And it's as good as done
in a matter of seconds. Bye-bye.
So instead of answering a simple question you go off on your unhinged trip.

I'll assume Hal was Ralph's personal pet. I asked for clarity and you provided none.

You also helped clear the muddy waters regarding head position and consistency.

boogieman

LMAO. You are totally clueless! Now I see why you gave up on CTE and couldn't use it properly. Nor do you have a clue what pivoting does, how it works, and how to use it with the correct amount of pivot. You THINK you do but it's so far off base it's laughable. NO "C" player has a full understanding of what a pivot does or can do. Neither do you.

What you said about the head and eyes is more on the mark. What can be seen in photos of Tyler is his eyeline is always angled. However, to learn to see the convergence of the edge and centers it can be taught and is to move the head and face beyond the cue until it can be both seen simultaneously for training purposes. It's to break the habit of having the nose and eyes directly over the cue looking at a fraction or contact point.

See, that's the thing, I'm not clueless. That's projecting and tribalism. Don't buy the narrative. I'm fishing to see if any of the cheerleaders actually know what's going on instead of the same tired comebacks. Stan presents the info as "it works, don't ask why." I've never said CTE doesn't work. I understand it, and why it works. It does work, but the reason it works isn't some hidden knowledge that can never be explained. It literally takes a few pages (if that) to explain how/why pivoting/CB address works, yet instead we are treated to creation myths and the underdog story for chapters in the book. My question is why? It's not needed when the simple Truth is presented. No need to hide OZ behind the curtain. Funny how even curtain shots are used to show it works. I just find it ironic, maybe making a connection that isn't there on my part, but it amuses me.

By simply saying how and why it works instead of some jumbled, overwrought story, CTE will gain more respect and use. You think I'm a knocker and a nut job but I actually think CTE is a good aiming system. I just prefer facts and well explained theory, not a heartwarming story and "do it because it works but don't worry why." Seriously, I'll take the ire of the pro and anti crowd, I'm trying to get some independent thinking and understanding injected into the conversation. Thanks for seeing through it enough to show you understand. These discussions are how the truth comes out, not an attack on an aiming system. Sure, there are "haters" out there, but there are a lot who just want to see if everyone gets what's going on.

boogieman

I'm no respecter of persons. It's the ideas that matter. I don't know or care who is who on here. I've used the same screen name or close variants since the mid 90s. It's internet culture 101. A name and identity means very little, it's the ideas that matter. A person's screen name on here, even if it is there real legal name, means nothing to me other than to categorize who the post is coming from. I'll remain "anonymous" and if that's something that bothers you, feel free to equate me not posting the name on my birth certificate to me being a lying troll. I also don't post my social security number or credit card number on open forums. Sorry but you don't get into the candy van with strangers.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

See, that's the thing, I'm not clueless. That's projecting and tribalism. Don't buy the narrative. I'm fishing to see if any of the cheerleaders actually know what's going on instead of the same tired comebacks. Stan presents the info as "it works, don't ask why." I've never said CTE doesn't work. I understand it, and why it works. It does work, but the reason it works isn't some hidden knowledge that can never be explained. It literally takes a few pages (if that) to explain how/why pivoting/CB address works, yet instead we are treated to creation myths and the underdog story for chapters in the book. My question is why? It's not needed when the simple Truth is presented. No need to hide OZ behind the curtain. Funny how even curtain shots are used to show it works. I just find it ironic, maybe making a connection that isn't there on my part, but it amuses me.

By simply saying how and why it works instead of some jumbled, overwrought story, CTE will gain more respect and use. You think I'm a knocker and a nut job but I actually think CTE is a good aiming system. I just prefer facts and well explained theory, not a heartwarming story and "do it because it works but don't worry why." Seriously, I'll take the ire of the pro and anti crowd, I'm trying to get some independent thinking and understanding injected into the conversation. Thanks for seeing through it enough to show you understand. These discussions are how the truth comes out, not an attack on an aiming system. Sure, there are "haters" out there, but there are a lot who just want to see if everyone gets what's going on.
So bottom line, has CTE amped up your game? If not, it's because you don't understand something and are misinterpreting
which means playing worse or hitting a brick wall. Or you gave up and say to yourself it's not worth the time and effort.
But if it has, keep working and asking questions that you can legitimately be helped with and sent in the right direction.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm no respecter of persons. It's the ideas that matter. I don't know or care who is who on here. I've used the same screen name or close variants since the mid 90s. It's internet culture 101. A name and identity means very little, it's the ideas that matter. A person's screen name on here, even if it is there real legal name, means nothing to me other than to categorize who the post is coming from. I'll remain "anonymous" and if that's something that bothers you, feel free to equate me not posting the name on my birth certificate to me being a lying troll. I also don't post my social security number or credit card number on open forums. Sorry but you don't get into the candy van with strangers.
Paranoid a little? Sounds more like a lot!

boogieman

Paranoid a little? Sounds more like a lot!
Nope, caution and paranoia are two different things. I literally have no reason to identify myself on an internet forum. If I did, would that somehow make what I say more true or false? I know you as @SpiderWebComm. Does it matter if your name is Jake Smith? (I sure hope I didn't guess your real name there lol)

So bottom line, has CTE amped up your game? If not, it's because you don't understand something and are misinterpreting
which means playing worse or hitting a brick wall. Or you gave up and say to yourself it's not worth the time and effort.
But if it has, keep working and asking questions that you can legitimately be helped with and sent in the right direction.
My game has definitely amped up. I've taken what was the cream from CTE and added it into how I play. I've also worked on getting solid fundamentals, switched to LD (not that that means anything), worked on the mental game and "quiet eyes" and a half dozen other things. I play around 200 games of 9B per week. Of course my game has amped up when I live and breath pool and feed my head with pool books. Can I play entirely with the CTE system? Yes. Do I? No. Not because it is bad, but because I've adapted the lesson CTE has to teach and incorporated it into my game along with my other experience. Will I continue to pour over the book? Sure, the same way I'll pour over the "The Pleasure of Small Motions" book. There's a lot of good info in it. Will I ever play entirely CTE? Maybe, but even if I didn't you could tell no difference from Disguised Pivoting. There's nothing to disguise if you address the ball correctly as part of the process. Building and re-building a game takes a long time, especially after 30 years of self teaching and bad habits. CTE, if followed and understood will build a strong game, but again, it's not magic making it happen. It's a system designed to teach you to play pool properly, not the only way to do so, but one way.

Again, I really don't get the incredulity in thinking someone can understand CTE yet like looking behind the curtain.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, caution and paranoia are two different things. I literally have no reason to identify myself on an internet forum. If I did, would that somehow make what I say more true or false? I know you as @SpiderWebComm. Does it matter if your name is Jake Smith? (I sure hope I didn't guess your real name there lol)

My game has definitely amped up. I've taken what was the cream from CTE and added it into how I play. I've also worked on getting solid fundamentals, switched to LD (not that that means anything), worked on the mental game and "quiet eyes" and a half dozen other things. I play around 200 games of 9B per week. Of course my game has amped up when I live and breath pool and feed my head with pool books. Can I play entirely with the CTE system? Yes. Do I? No. Not because it is bad, but because I've adapted the lesson CTE has to teach and incorporated it into my game along with my other experience. Will I continue to pour over the book? Sure, the same way I'll pour over the "The Pleasure of Small Motions" book. There's a lot of good info in it. Will I ever play entirely CTE? Maybe, but even if I didn't you could tell no difference from Disguised Pivoting. There's nothing to disguise if you address the ball correctly as part of the process. Building and re-building a game takes a long time, especially after 30 years of self teaching and bad habits. CTE, if followed and understood will build a strong game, but again, it's not magic making it happen. It's a system designed to teach you to play pool properly, not the only way to do so, but one way.

Again, I really don't get the incredulity in thinking someone can understand CTE yet like looking behind the curtain.
That's a good post and it defines the purpose of a solid aiming method (system, if you will.)
Keep at it. If it's working, no reason to go "trying to fix something that ain't broke"
A player asked Allen Hopkins once......"what do you do if you're playing the best you can play at the time and you still get beat by someone?"
Allen replied.........."Go find more money and try again". (he does have an oblique sense of humor) :):)(y)
Regards,
Lowenstein

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's what you said you do - so it's very likely not what happens.

pj
chgo
You misrepresented what stepping is.

Stepping, a term created by Stan Shuffett, means that one turns the head in the direction of the cut, acquires the edge of the cueball, and allows the eyes to go to the center from that edge and that center is the center that the shooter then uses to aim at during the practice strokes. That center is a point on the no-spin, no imagination shot line. Stepping is one part of the center to edge process of aiming.

Center to edge aiming is a very good technique for getting to the shot line. I find it to be quite accurate.

Stepping has nothing to do with individual degrees around the circumference of the cueball. One is not looking at the 175th "tick" out of 180 ticks (degrees) on the visible half of the cueball.

You misrepresent what it is with a diagram that has nothing to do with the process. You do this in order to attempt to dilute the information for the purpose of discrediting the process.

Stan has described stepping right here,

And here is the whole series explaining CTE