Gold Member
Shaw after the scratch on the break

Screenshot_20220118-083538_Facebook.jpg

Here is his last break, scratched in the top right corner

Screenshot_20220118-083629_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220118-083625_Facebook.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
But I do get it that you disapprove of the way the pockets are cut. You didn't approved of a lot of things and mentioned them countless times in this and other threads.

You don't approve of the fact that someone has organized an event that could help break (edit: did break) the High Run Record of John Schmidt.

You don't approve of the fact that John Schmidt wasn't invited as player or commentator.

You don't approve of the patterns of 9-Ball players.

You don't approve even more of the fact that shot making plays such a big role in running straight pool.

You don't approve of the fact that someone is able to run 400+ even though his straight pool patterns were not approved by you.

You don't approve of the fact that you were not invited to set up the table for this event even though you know that you are the best table mechanic in the world.

You don't approve of the way the pockets are cut.

You did predict that the generous pockets will backfire and nobody will be able to beat the 308 from Shane, because the runs will end in scratches in these huge pockets too often.

You don't approve of the fact, that players are able to adapt and don't scratch nearly as often as you have predicted.

These disapprovals from you are a huge concern for everybody involved and the people organizing this event as well as participating players were not able to get any sleep because of this for over two months now. I really hope you will continue with your helpful comments, since sleep deprivation over such a big timeframe is a very serious medical condition.
And of all the players you mentioned that Jason Shaw beat their personal best high runs, how many of them did he pass up before this event took place? And how many of those mentioned by YOU, had they played in this event in their prime, given the incentive to break Mosconi's 526 high run record would have in fact, done so??? Had Willie Mosconi himself been given the incentive to break his own 526 high run record, do you think he could have set it to over 1,000?????????

realkingcobra

Silver Member
4.95 is less than 5.0 last time I checked. But yes, these are basically 5 inch pockets.

PSF is 0.91 since it's <= 5''
View attachment 625048

I did not set up the table. From the photos provided I would guess the Pocket Angle Factor to be somewhere between 137,0 and 138,6 degrees. (PAF 0.97)
View attachment 625046

The small pocket shelf depth is typicall for GCIII (I owened one for years), so this factor makes the pockets more forgiving, then the pocket angle. (PLF 0.95)

View attachment 625047

These numbers make for a Total Table Difficulty Factor (TDF) of about 0.84 (0.838565), so it's a very easy table, even more so with new cloth.
View attachment 625049
Shut the hell up, stop guessing at the pocket angles, just put a damn tape measure on them and take a damn measurement, shouldn't be to complicated for a damn rocket scientist like you, or is that to damn complex for you to understand????!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Let's put this all in perspective- how great this performance really has been the past several days- in order to run a lot of balls in 14.1, and we can take ball pocketing itself out of the equation for table set- up argument's sake: You STILL have to:

1. have great overall CB control
2. avoid any type of scratch or foul
3. get 14 balls open to shoot and clear that rack off the table
4. leave the balls for an end pattern and actually get onto a decent break ball
5. clear your CB after each break shot
6. keep the CB from getting stuck on a ball somewhere during each rack - rack after rack
7. know the correct ball to shoot and correct your CB position if wrong choices are made
8. shoot every ball at very close to optimum speed in order to gain the right position
9. ETC. ETC. ETC.

Even on a table that some are saying is "wired" for higher runs- how many of us here will run into a problem somewhere between #1 and #9 even trying to run 50 balls! The performance we witnessed is a true testament to a truly great player.
And to do all that requires skills, not luck. LUCK is when you buy a lottery ticket and HOPE you win!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
so just for the record
Jayson just broke the lifetime highrun of following players:

Klaus Zobrekis
Danny Harriman
Grady Mathews
Oliver Ortmann
Steve Mizerak
Mike Sigel
Danny Di Liberto
Alex Lely
Niels Feijen

... 4 times in two consecutive days 😅
edit: 5 times in two consecutive days 🙈
And not one of them had ANY incentive to push their personal best high runs as far up as they could have! Just curious, what was Jason Shaws personal best BEFORE this event, that NOT ONE of the players you mentioned had a chance to play in??

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And not one of them had ANY incentive to push their personal best high runs as far up as they could have! Just curious, what was Jason Shaws personal best BEFORE this event, that NOT ONE of the players you mentioned had a chance to play in??
None of this matters at all. You are the king of deflection. Give credit where credit is due. The man just ran 714 FUCKING balls. The table does not matter; other people’s incentives or lack thereof do not matter; your petty bullshit does not matter. Maybe you should start your own thread and you can fly in and shit all over it……

Jeez dude get a life.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
You're really arguing that 714 isn't good enough because someone could have hypothetically run more. Please get help.

kanzzo

hobby player
And of all the players you mentioned that Jason Shaw beat their personal best high runs, how many of them did he pass up before this event took place? And how many of those mentioned by YOU, had they played in this event in their prime, given the incentive to break Mosconi's 526 high run record would have in fact, done so??? Had Willie Mosconi himself been given the incentive to break his own 526 high run record, do you think he could have set it to over 1,000?????????

You are reapeating my argument not even noticing it. Your argument was, Strickland could have never run 400+ since it's more than the High run of Ortmann, Mizerak, Sigel. I wrote, that perhaps some of these players never bothered to put up a high run. Strickland did bother and ran 400+. Jayson did bother and ran 400+ also. Even though you would have bet everything you have in the pocket (would be probably a small bet of around $10) he would never be able to, since his patterns are so bad (or at least not RKC approved).

You could (hypothetically) admit you were wrong. But it obviously won't happen 😅

answer.JPG

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt, but I purposely left luck out of the equation. However, anyone who has played a lot of 14.1 knows for sure that although the outcome of the vast majority of 14.1 games is not determined by the luck or "bad roll" factor, it does sometimes factor into a competitive outcome, or even an exhibition outcome.

I'll limit most bad luck factors in 14.1 to the full rack and large cluster break outs where sometimes one just cannot predict where a ball ends up rolling as little as an eight of an inch onto another ball and you have no shot - it could roll up to another OB or the CB - sometimes it just happens and is truly out of the shooter's control on break outs, especially large cluster break outs. End of Run.:(:(

The flip side, of course, is that one does not play the break out shot correctly in terms of speed or CB control, yet they get a "good roll" - Lady Luck;);) and that OB or CB misses the bad freeze point to another ball by that eighth of an inch an you indeed now have a shot to continue your run.

These "luck" issues in 14.1 are like a coin toss- over great periods of time they should even out - so no need to factor them into one's 14.1 progress or lack thereof.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
like most games (examples would be Backgammon, Poker, 9-Ball) or real time events (driving a car) it's a combination of skill and luck. But somehow you pretend to not to get it.

You can reduce your risk through skill (in Jayson's case by manufactoring perfect steep angle breakshots with minimal risk of scratching just as one example) but you can't eliminate bad luck completely. In the long run (shooting 350+ twice a day) he will get 500+ and 600+ quite fast. In your observation, someone like Jayson or Strickland (being perhaps a similar great shotmaker in the 90s) could be never able to accomplish such big runs.

Well, I guess you were proven wrong. Since you didn't have money to bet on your forecast - why don't you at least stop spamming the thread repeating the same arguments for the 1000th time?
Try all you want to discredit me, but you can't. I said Earl never ran over 400+ balls before this event, and would have a hard time making 200+ of which he did once, in a week!!!! I said Jason Shaw coming into this event would probably have a high run of around 318, he did. I never once said Jason couldn't learn how to play 14.1 a lot better that he was playing it in the past, with a 9B approach, of which he has learned to adapt to 14.1 playing which is why he's been able to stick to it and improve his ball making ability. But Jason still has an Achilles heal, meaning he has a weakness that is holding him back from setting even higher runs, and that is Jason's shooting to fast at times. I've seen him miss to many times because if that, and have said it since the first time he came on the US radar as a player.

So again, shut the hell up unless you can prove me wrong!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It is obvious that you are very impressed with yourself. The problem is pool tables are extremely simple pieces of equipment. Even if you try you can`t make them complicated. So because you are able to take one apart and then put it back together doesn`t make you an astronaut or anything.
Right there you're showing your ignorance in my trade skills, because you really have no damn idea what I do, you just think you do, and YOU couldn't even repeat ONE of my days of work, not even if your LIFE depended on it!!