Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
WPA pocket specs say corner pocket facing angles should be at least 142° - and that matters to shot making, especially when running hundreds of balls, scores of them down the rails.

Great run even with an asterisk - which it could reasonably have until pocket measurements are shown.

pj
chgo
I think history should be considered here....the WPA is ‘Johnny come lately’....so many of the greats, like Greenleaf etc, never heard of them.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About the only thing I want to say on the pockets is this:

We do not know what all the pockets specs were on Mosconi's table. We don't know how deep the shelf was on that table or what Dr. Dave's TDF would be on it.

Same for John's table.

If you look up those accomplishments what you will find are:

A. The table size, and
B. The width of the pocket opening.

So I personally feel we're good, particularly after having seen additional photos of our pockets. It's Bobby's call on releasing them and it's his event and his dough. And by-and-large everyone (with a couple of exceptions) enjoyed the free live stream and is willing to happily acknowledge Jayson Shaw's monumental run of 714 balls. And eventually, we will have unedited video of the run to release.

Don't like it, I got nothin' for you.

Lou Figueroa
with apologies
to Jeff Probst

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would Tony Choan, Josh Roberts, Oscar Dominguez, Tyler Styer, or Chris Reinhold break 500 on this table?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
About the only thing I want to say on the pockets is this:

We do not know what all the pockets specs were on Mosconi's table. We don't know how deep the shelf was on that table or what Dr. Dave's TDF would be on it.

Same for John's table.

If you look up those accomplishments what you will find are:

A. The table size, and
B. The width of the pocket opening.

So I personally feel we're good, particularly after having seen additional photos of our pockets. It's Bobby's call on releasing them and it's his event and his dough. And by-and-large everyone (with a couple of exceptions) enjoyed the free live stream and is willing to happily acknowledge Jayson Shaw's monumental run of 714 balls. And eventually, we will have unedited video of the run to release.

Don't like it, I got nothin' for you.

Lou Figueroa
with apologies
to Jeff Probst
But you do admit they're not within BCA specification, according to the BCA specs for the pocket miter angles, right?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this another deflection from avoiding the truth?

Dude, really?!

How many times do I have to say that Bobby chooses not to release additional photos and specs. I’ve seen them and am good with them and that’s as far as I can go.

It’s Bobby’s event, his money. Don’t like it run your own event. I’ve said this a ton of times!

You’re like a little kid. Nothing is going to change because you’re throwing a tantrum on the floor. Get over it. Grow up.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Bur the BCA was founded in 1948
That's all fine, but the specs are almost entirely irrelevant to modern pool. Even WPA specs are subject to being ignored by WPAs discretion. Basically WPA and BCA have been asleep at the wheel for decades. They could have either enforced their specs or updated them to be more in tune with the times (then enforced them). But they did neither, and so everyone ignores them. That is what they deserve, but unfortunately it leads to everyone and their cusins-uncles-grandmothers-neighbours-friend having opinions on pocket specs and nobody to really set the record straight. So we get pointless bickering that goes nowhere.

Realistically, how hard would it f-ing be to make a pocket template, like in snooker? Heck, one could even have two, one for recreation and one for sanctioned tournaments. Then the BCA could put their stamp of approval on a table and collect their fee, or not. No stamp, no WPA/BCA tournament for you. You could then also have two separate records, if the recreational template became popular for league play etc. That would be fine and not really a problem, because everyone would know what the specs were, down to the last degree of pocket cut or milimeter of shelf, and if the table conformed to neither, the record would be unofficial or invalid.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Dude, really?!

How many times to I have to say that Bobby chooses not to release additional photos and specs. I’ve see them and am good with them and that’s as far as I can go.

It’s Bobby’s event, his money. Don’t like it run your own event. I’ve said this a ton of times!

You’re like a little kid. Nothing is going to change because you’re throwing a tantrum on the floor. Get over it. Grow up.

Lou Figueroa
Well then at least ask Bobby if he'll let John Schmidt defend his title on this table, He subject to run a 1000 balls on the circus table!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the BCA and later WPA pocket specs, its my opinion that they didn't actually "set" the specs. What they did is measure the most popular professional tables at the time, and made the "specs" to that. The old BCA specs were in the 5" range, which is a standard GC pocket. The more modern WPA specs are in the 4.5" range, which is the standard Diamond Procut pocket. Lets face it, Brunswick drove pool for the past 100 years, and Diamond drove pool for the past 20 years. The BCA and WPA did NOT.

Hanging our hats on anything they publish as "gospel" is BS IMO. For years, even the specs had huge typos on them, and no one even cared from their specs department. The typo had to do with the tolerance. It was something like 5" +/- 1/8", and got retyped years later as 5" +1/8". That typo was in all the dimensions that had tolerances, and was around for a good 20 years, probably longer.

We, as players, are more in tune with what's a factory pocket and what's a modified pocket, what's a hard pocket, and what's an easy pocket, than the BCA or WPA is, IMO.