9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
FB_IMG_1643563276522.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two and a half tenths sucks to hold 😂

After that I would go to the job shop machine shop next to my shop that mostly turned out short run productions to runs of a few thousand pieces and spend a day cutting. First time I asked him about tolerances I asked him if five tenths or so was good enough. He replied that was a bit rough. It took me a second or two to realize that I meant .0001" and he meant .10"

The tightest tolerances I ever held was with a handheld tool. The size had to be gaged. To get the necks that consistent I had to hold that danged tool in my hand for fourteen hours to turn the necks of 28 pieces of brass. Once it got warm it had to stay warm. Everything else was done one handed that day. However, that brass sprang back to proper size, never any neck sizing needed and lasted the life of a custom barrel even loaded more than a little warmish. It also let me shoot under the world record for five 5 shot groups at 100 yards in the hotly contested 10.5 pound benchrest class. I wasn't the only one to unofficially better the record but my good friend and master bullet maker Jef Fowler set the record when it counted and held it for over a decade!

Want to see over a hundred super anal OCD people in one place? Go to a major benchrest match. It was fun though, and I can't imagine a greater bunch of guys and gals!

Hu

Rusty in Montana

^^^^^ or talk to my gunsmith buddy who probably made a rifle or two that's being used there !
Another friend of mine is also that bad he sold a bunch of reloading brass for my rifle that wasn't the weight he wanted for one of his target rifles .
So I took it home reloaded it and it shot great for me ha ha !

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After that I would go to the job shop machine shop next to my shop that mostly turned out short run productions to runs of a few thousand pieces and spend a day cutting. First time I asked him about tolerances I asked him if five tenths or so was good enough. He replied that was a bit rough. It took me a second or two to realize that I meant .0001" and he meant .10"

The tightest tolerances I ever held was with a handheld tool. The size had to be gaged. To get the necks that consistent I had to hold that danged tool in my hand for fourteen hours to turn the necks of 28 pieces of brass. Once it got warm it had to stay warm. Everything else was done one handed that day. However, that brass sprang back to proper size, never any neck sizing needed and lasted the life of a custom barrel even loaded more than a little warmish. It also let me shoot under the world record for five 5 shot groups at 100 yards in the hotly contested 10.5 pound benchrest class. I wasn't the only one to unofficially better the record but my good friend and master bullet maker Jef Fowler set the record when it counted and held it for over a decade!

Want to see over a hundred super anal OCD people in one place? Go to a major benchrest match. It was fun though, and I can't imagine a greater bunch of guys and gals!

Hu
Agreed. I've spent many days at Camp Perry. I volunteered to pull targets for the final 20 in the President's 100. It was shot at 600 yards slow fire with AR 15s. I watched as the shooter at my target put all rounds in the 9, 10, X ring. Amazing what they can do with the right equipment and skill.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
^^^^^ or talk to my gunsmith buddy who probably made a rifle or two that's being used there !
Another friend of mine is also that bad he sold a bunch of reloading brass for my rifle that wasn't the weight he wanted for one of his target rifles .
So I took it home reloaded it and it shot great for me ha ha !

I did the same as your friend. Bought some 06 brass to convert, didn't get the results I wanted after cutting a few pieces down so gave my friend about 95 pieces of New Lapua brass. He was a happy camper shooting it in his .270. Something to do with some of mine he shot, my friend in Salt Lake got the itch for a custom varmint gun. I fired back that I had a new Lee Six hunter class stock he could have, and could get him volume discount on all of the Lilja barrels he wanted. He wanted a Nesika action too, rare as hen's teeth at the time. Another friend of mine had one at a fair price. Poor Dave, he was belly deep in the custom before he knew quite how it happened!

Would your buddy happen to be Mike W? Used him some long ago.

Agreed. I've spent many days at Camp Perry. I volunteered to pull targets for the final 20 in the President's 100. It was shot at 600 yards slow fire with AR 15s. I watched as the shooter at my target put all rounds in the 9, 10, X ring. Amazing what they can do with the right equipment and skill.

Never shot across the course although I have shot prairie dogs out past a thousand yards with an AR-15. Part accident, part being silly. The ammo was with some of the best bullets in the world but a .223 isn't built for that range. I was on a mail list with guys from around the world that shot across the course, about two dozen world champions, the list owner, and me! Several of the guys near me and I had advised a few I think including the site owner. Anyway, I got in with a very fine crowd! Evenings we would have a chat room going before there was such a name. Good times!

Another old friend shot the across the course matches for Uncle Sam between wars. He was spotting for another man on the US team one evening in practice at a thousand or twelve hundred when a member of another nation's team passed by: "Having trouble getting them in the five ring?" "No, trying to hold them all in the V." What we would call tough action playing pool!

Thinking about doing a little smithing now. I have a full house mouse laying around and the pieces to put together an AR. It's sister shoots ridiculously well, the barrel for mine is a safe queen, has been for twenty years or more. Cut by Lilja at the same time, chambered by Compass Lake at the same time. The first barrel cranked out quarter inch hundred yard groups fired from the magazine, one behind the other for a five group aggregate. Should do a little better loaded individually but that was getting close to benchrest rifle standards back then. A well tuned AR can shoot, until conditions get really tough out beyond 600. Then BC rules. The AR does have quite a few thousand yard wins though, mighty nice!

Sorry guys, I do know this is the funny picture and gif thread. Feeling nostalgic, missing old friends and old toys.

Hu

Rusty in Montana

My friend is Randy Melvin that last time we spoke about custom guns he was about 2 year's behind I still enjoy the barrel he built for my old Sako !
Now if I could shoot up to it's potential I'd be golden !

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
My friend is Randy Melvin that last time we spoke about custom guns he was about 2 year's behind I still enjoy the barrel he built for my old Sako !
Now if I could shoot up to it's potential I'd be golden !

Chances are if he installed a barrel he checked these details too but the biggest sin I have found is unwanted recoil contact points. My Remington varmint model 700 had the recoil lug of course but then it also had one action screw, the trigger, the rear of the action, and the bolt all serving as recoil absorbing areas, probably a few more I am not thinking of at the moment. As temperatures changed some of these were no doubt more critical than others but one of my biggest rules is to only have one recoil area if the action isn't a glue in! The other thing is to use a weak locktite These things and watching out for carbon build-up carried me a long ways in the accuracy of a rifle.

I also stay away from moly after cleaning layers of copper, moly, and carbon out of a very dirty barrel. Multiple layers of each one! These simple tricks led me to shoot a best five 5 shot aggregate out of the factory .308 barrel of .403. That barrel shot some tiny groups, some "big uglies" too, it was a fickle bitch! Marcie Lyons who probably knew the .308 as well as anyone alive told me that was typical of the .308.

Hu