WORLD POOL (nineball) CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 April2022), UK, Winner $60K

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This digitalpool live score is still just a pain to use.
Just slow or sometimes not loading at all.
MR tries to be professional about every part of their tournaments, but I can't understand why they use this useless app for a WC.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
This digitalpool live score is still just a pain to use.
Just slow or sometimes not loading at all.
MR tries to be professional about every part of their tournaments, but I can't understand why they use this useless app for a WC.
To me there are worse bracket services than Digitalpool, but it also makes me wonder about the reason MR ditched Cuescore which they were using recently.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michal Gavenciak shows what he is capable of advancing to L64 with wins over Sniegocki and Shaw. That Czech guy is a very seasoned player actually, been involved in action at German pool scene for years.

casper matikainen is another less known player going strong, beating sanjin and bader to advance

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another less known player thru to last 64 is Shane Wolford chalking up biggest win of his career defeating veterans Alcaide and Petroni

dbyrd2654

Player stats:
- 20 players rated 800+
- 48 players rated 775+
- 78 players rated 750+
- 14 players rated <700
- 8 players unrated (Dino Nair, Hassan Shaaz Mohamed, Jeff Buckley, JJ Faul, Kyle Akaloo, Michal Gavinciak, Mohamed Shareef, Mycherif Zine El Abidine). Buckley is shown as a 418 but hard to believe a 418 would show up to this event.
I think that might be Jeff Beckley

BlueRaider

Registered
Watching major tournaments in the past couple of years especially has made it clear: pool fundamentals are rapidly coalescing towards a fairly uniform stance and stroke.

There are still small variations among the new crop of top players, but it wasn't that long ago that basically all of the top players looked noticeably different at the table (think of the idiosyncrasies of Alex, Niels, Earl, Efren, Shane, Busty, Corey, Mika, etc.).

The young European and Asian players look so similar at the table, and Tyler Styer is among that group from the U.S. In 10 years we won't see anyone with unorthodox fundamentals playing this game at the highest level IMO.

dbyrd2654

Player stats:
- 20 players rated 800+
- 48 players rated 775+
- 78 players rated 750+
- 14 players rated <700
- 8 players unrated (Dino Nair, Hassan Shaaz Mohamed, Jeff Buckley, JJ Faul, Kyle Akaloo, Michal Gavinciak, Mohamed Shareef, Mycherif Zine El Abidine). Buckley is shown as a 418 but hard to believe a 418 would show up to this event.
I think that might be Jeff Beckley
No rest for the weary. Many of these players will have just finished playing both the Las Vegas Open and the World 10-ball.

Good luck to all of these fine players.

Dennis Orcullo is back for the most important event of the year. Fantastic!
I don't see Orcollo in the brackets. Did he have travel issues?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching major tournaments in the past couple of years especially has made it clear: pool fundamentals are rapidly coalescing towards a fairly uniform stance and stroke.

There are still small variations among the new crop of top players, but it wasn't that long ago that basically all of the top players looked noticeably different at the table (think of the idiosyncrasies of Alex, Niels, Earl, Efren, Shane, Busty, Corey, Mika, etc.).

The young European and Asian players look so similar at the table, and Tyler Styer is among that group from the U.S. In 10 years we won't see anyone with unorthodox fundamentals playing this game at the highest level IMO.

i thought tevez who was runner up in the 10-ball was a bit unorthodox. not at the mccready/paez end of the spectrum, but still. styer is probably at the other end of such a spectrum.

BlueRaider

Registered
i thought tevez who was runner up in the 10-ball was a bit unorthodox. not at the mccready/paez end of the spectrum, but still. styer is probably at the other end of such a spectrum.
Yeah, there are definitely still a few guys here and there who stick out with their stances, strokes, pre-shot routines, etc. But with the young European players especially, it's like they are clones of each other at the table.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you explain what’s so silly about FargoRate?
Sure, Shane is still 2nd.
I rest my case.

And please, thats no knock on Shane, hes fantastic, a legend, undoubtly the player of the last decade but hes for sure not the 2nd best player in the world today. Not even close.....

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, there are definitely still a few guys here and there who stick out with their stances, strokes, pre-shot routines, etc. But with the young European players especially, it's like they are clones of each other at the table.

yea that's true. but tables are tighter nowadays compared to when mika and reyes won their championships, and competition is way tougher. staying down and following through is paramount. i love watching old pool matches but damn some of those styles just wouldn't hold up today

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top upsets so far:

79 points: Eylul Kibaroglu (682) def. Michael Schneider (761), 9-8
73 points: Darryl Chia Soo Yew (669) def. Chris Reinhold (742), 9-3
61 points: Chris Alexander (713) def. Radoslaw Babica (774), 9-5
60 points: Shane Wolford (742) def. David Alcaide (802), 9-7

BlueRaider

Registered
yea that's true. but tables are tighter nowadays compared to when mika and reyes won their championships, and competition is way tougher. staying down and following through is paramount. i love watching old pool matches but damn some of those styles just wouldn't hold up today
Bigger pockets and slower cloth seemed to make spinning the cue ball a bigger part of the game back then than it is today. Obviously pros still spin the ball as needed, but with very tight pockets and better fundamentals, it seems like the new crop of elite players tend to settle for wider, more natural shape zones and longer shots.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigger pockets and slower cloth seemed to make spinning the cue ball a bigger part of the game back then than it is today. Obviously pros still spin the ball as needed, but with very tight pockets and better fundamentals, it seems like the new crop of elite players tend to settle for wider, more natural shape zones and longer shots.
True and the pool, imo anyway, is more robotic and not as fun to watch.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ko pin yi lost to wojchek, after having stopped the match with complaining about the break. they were definitely no soft breaks, as they would have counted even with a three ball rule. he has the right to complain i guess, even though he was wrong, but on the other hand, the ref is the authority.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ko pin yi lost to wojchek, after having stopped the match with complaining about the break. they were definitely no soft breaks, as they would have counted even with a three ball rule. he has the right to complain i guess, even though he was wrong, but on the other hand, the ref is the authority.
I thought Ko complained because his opponent started pulling balls out before the cue ball stopped rolling?