You can take lessons from the best pro ..

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Can you define what your trying to say/mean when you use these two words ''pool professionals"?

Nick Varner was taught, by a great teacher, not a great pro.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took lessons from Jerry and during breaks I would sit at the bar and talk to Larry Nevel. He said he never took a lesson just sought out the best players and went at it. Can’t argue with success!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tough call, but it is best to stick with those that have dedicated their lives to pool instruction, not to pool competition, although it may be helpful if they dabbled in competition. Off the top of my head, you can't go wrong with any of these: Jerry Briesath, Johan Ruijsink, Mark Wilson, Randy Goettlicher.

John oleson

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The inference was meant to be that some of the best professionals have learned from great teachers. So, if you had a choice to learn from a top tier pro who might they be.

However your point is so well taken .. thanks ... ALSO, who are considered the best instructors ... Tor, Jerry Breiseth, Mark Wilson, John Oleson, etc.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The inference was meant to be that some of the best professionals have learned from great teachers. So, if you had a choice to learn from a top tier pro who might they be.

However your point is so well taken .. thanks ... ALSO, who are considered the best instructors ... Tor, Jerry Breiseth, Mark Wilson, John Oleson, etc.
If I could have a lesson with the top pro of my choice it would be Nick Varner.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If I could have a lesson with the top pro of my choice it would be Nick Varner.
While I'm in no position to comment on his teaching skills, I think Nick is probably the most knowledgeable person in America on the subject of pool in the last 50 years. At times in his career, he was the best in the world in each of bank pool, one pocket, straight pool, nine ball and eight ball. His all-around knowledge is just mind-blowing.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
While I'm in no position to comment on his teaching skills, I think Nick is probably the most knowledgeable person in America on the subject of pool in the last 50 years. At times in his career, he was the best in the world in each of bank pool, one pocket, straight pool, nine ball and eight ball. His all-around knowledge is just mind-blowing.
Nick's vast amount of knowledge combined with the fact that he is just a great guy are the reasons why I would choose him among all top pros to take a lesson with. The fact that he is probably my favorite player of all time doesn't hurt either.

tomatoshooter

Nick's vast amount of knowledge combined with the fact that he is just a great guy are the reasons why I would choose him among all top pros to take a lesson with. The fact that he is probably my favorite player of all time doesn't hurt either.
Nick also seems like the type of guy that not only does it, but understands what he's doing, and can pass that knowledge on. Three different things.

Rusty in Montana

I'd like to get to be coached by SVB , Earl Strickland and yes Nick Varner , if I could click my heals and get my wishes Frank McGown and Grady Mathews I sure miss Frank ha ha
None of these are in any special order .