COULD SOMEONE SUPPLY A LINK TO APPLETON OUTBURST AND REASON FOR HIS BAN/SUSPENSION...THANKS

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Speaking as a close friend of Darren, I'm very disheartened that I won't get to see him play at the upcoming UK Open. Similarly, speaking as a fan alone, the gradual re-emergence of Darren, a living legend and BCA Hall of Famer, as one of the ones to beat in pro pool has been enjoyable and heartwarming to watch. Darren is and always will be one of my favorites.

.... but speaking as one who cares about the future of pool and its image, it's hard to object to the disciplinary action taken against Darren. Code of conduct violations are a serious matter, especially as pool tries to tidy up its image to make it more marketable.

Whether Darren is in the right here regarding perceived bias in his selection to be tested is really irrelevant to the penalties imposed upon him. When you disagree with somebody with whom you deal professionally, you must do so in a business-like manner and if you don't, there are often consequences to bear. I'm glad I learned this very early in my career after I mishandled a business situation.

We'll all be very happy when Darren returns, but for now, we'll have to grin and bear it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the random test in any way interferes with any of his matches, or any of his warm-up sessions, then they should have to delay the match and allow him his time that all other players have been afforded. Tough luck for the opponent or any other match that gets delayed. The WPA would have to own up to their mistake of not catching Darren sooner.

That would be fair. And it would get the WPA/WADA off their collective asses and do things in a more timely manner.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're old, like me.....ever do purple haze?

jeff Livingston
I'm familiar with the Jimmy Hendrix song. When I was in boot camp in 1970 we heard Jimmy Hendrix had died. Then 3 weeks later we heard Janis Joplin died and we figured it was fake news because both couldn't have died that close together.

I was just never interested in drugs. I saw no benefit to it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've worked Nuclear for 31 years and didn't have my first random till at least year 20, I mentioned that when they called me in and guess what, it was another ~ 10 years before another one.

People see things where they want to see them and try to validate every coincidence.

If I talked to the drug tester like that, I would be out of the Nuclear industry permanently.

No coincidence about the drug tests I was given in the early nineties. They made it very plain they were outside compliance for contractor testing.

The head shop I worked through never had more than three or four people in the plant in the time I knew of and since I had no contact with my company for months on end other than time sheets and paychecks people tended to forget I was a contractor.

Hu

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it’s worth, Emily commented on the video posted.
1652297166715.jpeg

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren posted on FB earlier that he's going to release a video tomorrow with his side of what happened.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link and the helpful info. For those who didn't click on the video, Darren told the drug tester / matchroom handler to F themselves (or something along those lines) during his test, the WPA fined him $1500 and made him miss the Masters, and then if Darren "misbehaves" again he gets a year ban.
This is what happens when you try to make the world's greatest bar game a sport with the WPA and World Antidoping rules.

The more people involved....the more money taken off the top.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole thing with piss tests is that it’s kinda of intrusive and a pain.

The USAF makes you submit to random testing but it’s never always random and when you keep winning the lottery it (wait for it) pisses you off.

Long time ago I put my retirement papers in and suddenly I was a very lucky guy: three tests in two months. I went to our squadron first shirt and told him, “I’ll take all the tests you want but if my name comes up again I sharing that info with the general” (I was on his personal staff).

Never got picked again.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

telinoz

Registered
Darren's Instagram post

Reactions: bbb

tomatoshooter

For what it’s worth, Emily commented on the video posted.
View attachment 641361
So shat are the other 90%, Emily?

I can can see "wipe the smirk off your face" sounding like "or I'll do it for you" is implied, if the guy is standing or looks like he's about to jump out of his chair. If he's fully sitting down, probably not.

After a tough loss with Filler taking a timeout for an easy shot on the 9, waiting for his bladder to fill after relieving himself 20 minutes earlier so he can take the second test in 2 weeks...yeah, who wouldn't be is a bad mood after that. We hear other athletes complain about having to talk to the press after a loss and people cut them slack.

They need defined levels of infraction and fixed penalties, accrued demerits, etc. If the organizing body wants to maintain the trust of the organizees, they must keep everything above board and avoid any appearance of impropriety. Since there was nothing more than words, in the absence of an actual discipline program, they should have stuck with a warning. This did not rise to the level of violence that requires strong punishment, regardless of what rules and procedures they failed to implement.

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm blaming Filler.

Anyone who takes a timeout before pocketing a 9 ball, 6 inches from the pocket, is a NIT. I'm sorry. Kid needs to grow up.
Filler has matured some over the last year or so. I am not a Filler fan, but it's hard to deny the kid's talent. As far as taking that time out, I think that is more on DA than Filler. DA had Filler by the short hairs and Filler luckily escaped the loss so I understand DA's frustration. If it was me? Pulling off a win over DA? lol, I'm sweating blood and would need to take a minute to realize the dream.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has this Appleton situation helped pool's image or hurt it?

Why create problems? Isn't pool problematic enough already?

Jeff Livingston
Outside of a few people nobody has a clue. Pool ain’t that big or important, this ain’t F1 racing. Seems like there’s a bit of “self importance” here.

Jus sayin’

Fatboy<———unknown

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I like Emily Fraser. I find her a charming and an easy spokesperson. It's corporations that can't be taken at their word.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Seems to me, Matchroom is trying to create a more professional environment for pool players, and Darren crossed their line.
Simple as that. Hopefully it blows over and people learn from the situation.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Filler has matured some over the last year or so. I am not a Filler fan, but it's hard to deny the kid's talent. As far as taking that time out, I think that is more on DA than Filler. DA had Filler by the short hairs and Filler luckily escaped the loss so I understand DA's frustration. If it was me? Pulling off a win over DA? lol, I'm sweating blood and would need to take a minute to realize the dream.
No he hasn't. He has Zero respect for any of his opponents. It's called arrogance.