Johnny Ervolino's system

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just noticed this 22-page booklet that I must have gotten with some magazines I bought from Mark Griffin. I think it was for an instructional clinic. I think you need the instruction in the clinic to understand it.

img011.jpg

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I would greatly appreciate whatever you could post from that, even if only a small snippet. Ervelino seemed to be a very knowledgeable player.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In reading through the material, I think you really had to be there. There is a discussion of amounts of spin, squirt and swerve, and then a series of about a dozen positions. He also talks about "the widest part of the pocket," which seems to mean where you go with a fuller hit on the cue ball. He says which side of the stick to aim with at the contact point. Maybe talking with his co-presenter, Rolando Aravena, would help. Rolando was (and maybe still is) the house pro at Amsterdam in NYC.

img012.jpg

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In reading through the material, I think you really had to be there. There is a discussion of amounts of spin, squirt and swerve, and then a series of about a dozen positions. He also talks about "the widest part of the pocket," which seems to mean where you go with a fuller hit on the cue ball. He says which side of the stick to aim with at the contact point. Maybe talking with his co-presenter, Rolando Aravena, would help. Rolando was (and maybe still is) the house pro at Amsterdam in NYC.

View attachment 646952

Maybe someone out there made sense of that text, but ouch it’s incomprehensible. 😵‍💫

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 646952
Rolando is the house guy at Strokers in Palm Harbor Florida. Great person and very knowledgeable about pool. I’ll have to ask him about this.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like reciprocal sections plus cueing the stick at the contact point and/or the same offset on the object ball as the english point on the cueball - for inside english shots. Obviously this isn't possible for outside english shots. I use BHE which ballparkes the offsets either way. Guessing that for outside english, point the stick at the same distance past the contact point as the tip is offset (from center) at the cueball. I won't be able to test this for a few hours so if you have a table, have at it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
please let us know what he says
I don't know what Rolando does for OUTSIDE English and the ferrule but there are more ways than one to skin a cat. Hal Houle figured it out over 70 years ago. First of all, there are NO contact points involved with the OB. There's only the center of the OB, the 1/4 or 3/4, and the edge. Yeah, I know - I know, if Hal did something it MUST be bogus and witchcraft. Too bad and bullshit if that's the mindset. Not my loss.

ALL cut shots are initially aimed THICK. In other words, if it's a minor cut either to the left or right the CCB is aimed at the dead center of the OB with the center of the cue tip, which in essence means you're aiming to MISS the shot outside the pocket.

Then what you do is PIVOT the tip slightly to the OUTSIDE (which means the INSIDE edge of the tip/ferrule is now at the center of the CB with a slightly angled cue.) (Cuts to the right mean pivot to the LEFT. Cuts to the left mean pivots to the RIGHT) Maintain that angle when you draw back the cue and just take the shot.

The OB will go in and the angled cue to the OUTSIDE will produce the outside English. There are no other calculations or
obsessing about squirt/deflection and adjusting more for it. It's built into the angled cue and pivot as well as where you're initially aiming. Once you get used to doing it, the tip/ferrule can be pivoted even more to the outside of CCB for more cut angle shots. Experience is your teacher.

I'm not going to go into how ALL shots on the table can be made doing it, but it involves either a slightly increased pivot to the outside or changing the initial aim point from COB to 1/4 or 3/4 OB, or EDGE of OB.

Maybe Rolando does use contact points, but this is another way of doing it. Try it or don't try it. But if you don't get on the table and work with it, your imagination of what the balls are going to do and the outcome, or 2D drawings are going to come out WRONG every single time.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a 2D drawing you should pay attention to.

guide-bloch-8.hires-3733630029.png

Say this is the cue ball. Call the X exit a dupe of the contact point on an object ball off in the distance. Easy to see and locate. Much more concise than quarters and thirds etc... Note the inscribed ellipse depicting the equator. Note also the other end of line X. OMG! X-Ray vision! It's the contact point!!11!1!.

How do you determine this ellipse on a blank ball? Simple. The visible equator gives you the correct bottom half. The center sphere is always center sphere. Flip the equator over the center to form the ellipse and there you have the front of the ball to place any point you need to aim.
Head elevation merely opens or closes the ellipse. If you're so level, all you see is a horizontal line, (not even possible) then you don't need the ellipse. Your contact point will be on the line you can see.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Here's a 2D drawing you should pay attention to.

View attachment 647374

Say this is the cue ball. Call the X exit a dupe of the contact point on an object ball off in the distance. Easy to see and locate. Much more concise than quarters and thirds etc... Note the inscribed ellipse depicting the equator. Note also the other end of line X. OMG! X-Ray vision! It's the contact point!!11!1!.

How do you determine this ellipse on a blank ball? Simple. The visible equator gives you the correct bottom half. The center sphere is always center sphere. Flip the equator over the center to form the ellipse and there you have the front of the ball to place any point you need to aim.
Head elevation merely opens or closes the ellipse. If you're so level, all you see is a horizontal line, (not even possible) then you don't need the ellipse. Your contact point will be on the line you can see.
This is exactly what I'm talking about with 2D drawings bullsh*t! What a waste of time and energy. The hardest thing in pool to do is trying to link up an imaginary contact point on the OB with an equal and opposite imaginary contact point on the cue ball which isn't even visible because it's on the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON the eyes can't see!

Heaven forbid what will happen if the tip of the cue doesn't strike dead center CB with this garbage visual to produce all of the other factors of spin and deflection. And that's even if the two contact points got luckily lined up to begin with.

THERE IS NOTHING EASIER, MORE ACCURATE, NO IMAGINATION, VISUALS JUMPING RIGHT OUT AT YOU, AS CLEAR AND CONCISE AS A LASER THAN AIMING WITH THE EDGE OF THE CB TO VARIOUS POINTS ON THE OB. NOTHING!!
LINK IT UP WITH CCB AND YOU HAVE A DOUBLE WHAMMY! NO IMAGINATION AND GUESSING!

NO PRO ON THE PLANET IN THE HISTORY OF POOL PLAYS THE GAME WITH THIS CRAP GOING ON IN THEIR HEAD AND ABLE TO PUT IT TO USE IN REAL LIFE. IT'S ONLY ON PAPER IN 2D!

You are the kind of person I would play every day of my life for everything I own and everything YOU own which in your case would be down to NOTHING in a very short period of time. WHAT USELESS GARBAGE!! Is this supposed to DAZZLE me and everyone else on here with your ability to make 2D drawings and the supposed exactness of it all? It's not reality on the table! It can't be seen and performed!

Do you even play for money? Do you even live in the USA? Do you even know what end of the cue to hit the ball with?

Last edited:

xX-Wizard-Xx

This is exactly what I'm talking about with 2D drawings bullsh*t! What a waste of time and energy. The hardest thing in pool to do is trying to link up an imaginary contact point on the OB with an equal and opposite imaginary contact point on the cue ball which isn't even visible because it's on the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON the eyes can't see!

Heaven forbid what will happen if the tip of the cue doesn't strike dead center CB with this garbage visual to produce all of the other factors of spin and deflection. And that's even if the two contact points got luckily lined up to begin with.

THERE IS NOTHING EASIER, MORE ACCURATE, NO IMAGINATION, VISUALS JUMPING RIGHT OUT AT YOU, AS CLEAR AND CONCISE AS A LASER THAN AIMING WITH THE EDGE OF THE CB TO VARIOUS POINTS ON THE OB. NOTHING!!
LINK IT UP WITH CCB AND YOU HAVE A DOUBLE WHAMMY! NO IMAGINATION AND GUESSING!

NO PRO ON THE PLANET IN THE HISTORY OF POOL PLAYS THE GAME WITH THIS CRAP GOING ON IN THEIR HEAD AND ABLE TO PUT IT TO USE IN REAL LIFE. IT'S ONLY ON PAPER IN 2D!

You are the kind of person I would play every day of my life for everything I own and everything YOU own which in your case would be down to NOTHING in a very short period of time. WHAT USELESS GARBAGE!! Is this supposed to DAZZLE me and everyone else on here with your ability to make 2D drawings and the supposed exactness of it all? It's not reality on the table! It can't be seen and performed!

Do you even play for money? Do you even live in the USA? Do you even know what end of the cue to hit the ball with?
chill man damn lmao

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Oh, The method is perfect. I use backhand english no problem.
That's nice. It also tells me more that you have no clue what you're talking about. But keep trying. Dazzle me with
additionally worthless 2D drawings and math formulas like it's supposed turn someone into a player. I can't wait.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is exactly what I'm talking about with 2D drawings bullsh*t!
You have to know Spideyspeak to understand his posts - for instance, when Spidey says something is "bullsh*t" that's his way of saying he just doesn't have a clue what it means (but of course will never admit that).

pj
chgo

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
You have to know Spideyspeak to understand his posts - for instance, when Spidey says something is "bullsh*t" that's his way of saying he just doesn't have a clue what it means (but of course will never admit that).

pj
chgo
ROTFLMAO!! You are tooooo MUCH! This from the man who has been spouting off for 25 years (yes, 25 continuous years)
about the impossibilities of CTE and how it's done because he DOESN'T HAVE and NEVER HAD a CLUE what Hal Houle was
talking about, Stan Shuffett, and now THOUSANDS of pool players across the world.

WHY? Because he knows EVERYTHING there is to know about the subject since...well,.. HE'S PATRICK JOHNSON! The original MR. 2D HIMSELF! King of CLOWN CORNER and ACOLYTES.

LMFAO!!