Pool road trip USA — best pool halls, best action, best spots 2022

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I see pictures like this I always wonder who the young man was walking by.
Based on the prices and the guys hat I would say mid 1930's?
found while surfing Facebook.
I thought others might like it, thanks for looking
chrome_screenshot_1656003659327.png

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I went to Griffs. It was a beautiful pool hall but there wasn't any action going on. It was pretty empty. I think it was a weekend night too.
That’s unusual. I’ve been there 20 times and probably only missed getting action two or three times.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On personal protection -- not to alarm but to allow you to properly prepare -- having a 9mm is a great comfort when changing a tire in the black midnight of a country road. Think of a gun as a life preserver for land travel. You probably will never need it, but there is no substitute for it if you do. I've only had to use mine for comfort, but rest assured, the bad guys carry them for far more nefarious purposes.
I always carried a baby Browning .25 for one reason. It was very concealable, even in my back pocket. I know people laugh about such a small gun, but up close and personal it will do the job, and that is where real trouble occurs. I agree with Quiet Eyes that having a good attitude and being polite and friendly can avoid most all problems, but if you are somehow perceived as a mark all that is out the window. Chances are one in a thousand he will find any trouble if he is careful where he goes and is attentive to who's around him. But for me, one in a thousand, especially if my wife is with me, is enough to know that I have some defense if necessary. In the end being alert and aware of who is around you is the best defense. I grew radar as a young man and it never left me. I constantly spot bad guys in malls and other places that 99% of the people ignore. They're there, they're watching, looking for an opening (women's purse, cell phone etc.) to grab something and run. Sometimes they see me looking right at them and they avoid me. I like it that way.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always carried a baby Browning .25 for one reason. It was very concealable, even in my back pocket. I know people laugh about such a small gun, but up close and personal it will do the job, and that is where real trouble occurs. I agree with Quiet Eyes that having a good attitude and being polite and friendly can avoid most all problems, but if you are somehow perceived as a mark all that is out the window. Chances are one in a thousand he will find any trouble if he is careful where he goes and is attentive to who's around him. But for me, one in a thousand, especially if my wife is with me, is enough to know that I have some defense if necessary. In the end being alert and aware of who is around you is the best defense. I grew radar as a young man and it never left me. I constantly spot bad guys in malls and other places that 99% of the people ignore. They're there, they're watching, looking for an opening (women's purse, cell phone etc.) to grab something and run. Sometimes they see me looking right at them and they avoid me. I like it that way.

We’re getting a bit off topic here, but these days you can find a much more effective weapon in that same size package…

My Seacamp 380.

No it’s not fun to shoot, but fun ain’t the point…

A48D1175-46EC-4486-B8C3-A7799EA236A4.jpeg

quiet eyes

My girlfriend is only with me for two months of the trip, most of the time in Canada. So she should be safe. About my sole part of the trip: I am not an American citizen so I am not allowed to possess a firearm. Moreover, it is disputable that carrying a gun really makes you safer in case of a conflict (certainly depends on your training). The opposite may be the true. Having said that, I am happy that you like your guns (assuming you are the ‚good guys'). Stay safe.

phreaticus

My girlfriend is only with me for two months of the trip, most of the time in Canada. So she should be safe. About my sole part of the trip: I am not an American citizen so I am not allowed to possess a firearm. Moreover, it is disputable that carrying a gun really makes you safer in case of a conflict (certainly depends on your training). The opposite may be the true. Having said that, I am happy that you like your guns (assuming you are the ‚good guys'). Stay safe.
Great response. About 99.99% of folks carrying and advocating carrying, have zero training or a tiny amount of crappy training. What do these folks do to feel and be safe when they travel to places where they can’t carry, which is 99% of the planet. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a red blooded American 2nd amendment supporter myself, but there are about a 1000 far more important steps to observe, avoid, de-escalate, and handle conflict before a weapon should even be considered. Why this thread (and similar ones) veered off into “better get a 9mm” territory is a head scratcher…

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We’re getting a bit off topic here, but these days you can find a much more effective weapon in that same size package…

My Seacamp 380.

No it’s not fun to shoot, but fun ain’t the point…

View attachment 647763
I have one in .32 caliber. Plus a Colt "Pocketlite" .38. I just like small guns that pack a big punch. I've never shot anybody and I hope to keep it that way.

I did have a my first physical encounter in about twenty years at the entrance to the Santa Monica pier early this year. It was crowded and a guy was playing the guitar and singing near the entrance. People were stopping to listen and I found a place to sit along a low wall by the entrance to the pier. My wife stood next to me (she doesn't like to sit anywhere that might be dirty) and we listened to the guy for awhile. Yes, there were some homeless people milling around and some had their hands out for spare change. There was one guy astride a bicycle working the crowd and moving in our direction. I noticed him first. He wasn't having any luck and then he zeroed in on me. I'm a rather small older man and he was much younger and bigger too. First he asked me for a "little" money to help him out and I declined. I thought he would move on his way, but that's not what happened. He moved his bike up against me trapping me against the wall. I reacted instantly, almost instinctively. I pushed myself forward, off the wall and shoved him as hard as I could. He and his bike fell in a heap on the ground. He was tangled up there and having trouble getting up from under his bike. I grabbed my wife's hand and told her let's go. I kept my eyes on him to see if he was going to come after me (I had a tactical pen on me), but he stayed there on the ground until we were well down the pier. Later on I saw him as we came back off the pier. He saw me too. I know it. But he never made a move in my direction. He just kept on going out on the pier, asking people for money. I know this is not much of a story and I haven't told this to even my close friends here, and I told my wife not too either. Funny, how I am okay telling it here.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
New York (Astoria) in November (Steinway, Amsterdam. Skyline, Carom Café)
Sounds like you've done your homework and have a wonderful trip planned. The choices you've made in the NY area are superb, but, if you have a car, don't overlook Sandcastle Billiards where, I believe, Earl Strickland is house pro. Sandcastle is located in Edison, New Jersey, perhaps thirty miles from New York City.

Have a grand old time!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great response. About 99.99% of folks carrying and advocating carrying, have zero training or a tiny amount of crappy training. What do these folks do to feel and be safe when they travel to places where they can’t carry, which is 99% of the planet. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a red blooded American 2nd amendment supporter myself, but there are about a 1000 far more important steps to observe, avoid, de-escalate, and handle conflict before a weapon should even be considered. Why this thread (and similar ones) veered off into “better get a 9mm” territory is a head scratcher…
Good point. Always look for a way out first. If you own a gun you better know how to use it, and that takes practice too. One thing to remember if you should decide to carry. NEVER take out a gun out unless you are prepared to use it! It is not something to bluff with. Otherwise someone may take it away and use it on you.

Last edited:

quiet eyes

Sounds like you've done your homework and have a wonderful trip planned. The choices you've made in the NY area are superb, but, if you have a car, don't overlook Sandcastle Billiards where, I believe, Earl Strickland is house pro. Sandcastle is located in Edison, New Jersey, perhaps thirty miles from New York City.

Have a grand old time!
Very good and thank you, added it. And yes, the Astoria choice turned out to be even better given the recommendations here.

telinoz

Registered
PS: I am a Fargo 600+ atm coming over from Germany. I would love to compete, train and further grow my game
Get the Salotto app and have some FargoRate matches as you go.
Adding new groups from different areas for FargoRate helps the data a lot.
Isolated groups get connected, you will see how a 600+ in Germany compares to these US cities.

dquarasr

Registered
Not a thread hijack, but I can’t find the recent post in spite of searches: whoever posted about the book “Playing Off The Rails”, a novel by David McCumber about a road player and an epic road trip, a hearty “Thank you”! I ordered the book last week and I’m 3/4 through it and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

phreaticus

Not a thread hijack, but I can’t find the recent post in spite of searches: whoever posted about the book “Playing Off The Rails”, a novel by David McCumber about a road player and an epic road trip, a hearty “Thank you”! I ordered the book last week and I’m 3/4 through it and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.
A hearty “you’re welcome” 😁 Glad you’re enjoying it. Lots of great pool books, but POTL is definitely my fav. ✌️