REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

Marine1955

Mike Surber's brother, Steve, has put up a $10,000 reward for info leading to info & arrest of Mike's murderer.

We have also opened a "Go Fund Me" account for donations to add to the reward. We are hoping that folks who can spare a few bucks will sweeten the pot so as to re-kindle and sharpen interest in the apprehension of this suspect. The account is:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-find-...m_89_2&rcid=r01-151249854321-634f1936b01f47b2

Steve also has put up a PayPal account for those who prefer that method of donation: paypal.me/pools/c/7ZRWK4xBkh

If the URLs don't link, please copy/paste it into your browser.

In addition the FBI "Seeking Information" page, which also includes a poster for download, is: https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/michael-surber

There is also a Face Book page started by Ray Hansen called "Catch a Killer":
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514573228867676/

Please forward this information to your friends. Thank you!

Thanks to JAM and my wife for their involvement in this cause which is dear to us all.

~Doc
I hope they catch the scum. May he rest in Peace. Sorry for your lose. amen.jpg

Danny 314

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This month, I have written the Mayor's office in Ocean Springs and also the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, Cold Case Unit about Michael Surber's case and asked how this relatively new technology of combining DNA and Genealogy research that has been in the news all this month. I asked them what would it take to get them to use this DNA/Genealogy forensic tool to be used on Mike's case. If they respond, I'll let you all know what they say.
At one time, politicians wanted to keep detectives from utilizing genetic information. It actually worked in solving crimes, but they called it an invasion of privacy.

I can't believe it's been 13 years.

I hope the detectives are able to do the right thing and solve this case.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I just talked to the OSPD detective assigned to Mike's case. He is determined to catch Mike's killer and believes he will. The investigation is active. He is playing his cards very close to his vest, but that is exactly what we (and Mike) would expect of a good cop. To put it in terms y'all can appreciate, this is grind it out 1P, not a 9B race. Think positive thoughts and say some prayers for Mike's family and the cop and a visitation by divine karma.
My letter to the Mayor's Office in Ocean Springs did not get a response. However, the Mississippi Department of Public Safety did try calling me a couple of times, during the time when I was visiting my sister-in-law, in hospital a few hours from where I live and just didn't have time or the inclination to talk at that time. Finally, when I returned home, I got another call from him and we talked for a while and he said he would look into the case and get back with me. I wanted to know what would it take to get the Bureau of Investigation for the state to utilize the latest DNA technology to locate Mike's killer. So I look forward to hearing his response. Like you said Biloxi Boy, about OSPD detective playing this close to his vest, the MDPS wouldn't promise anything except that he would look into it and get back with me. It would be nice if they were close to finding Mike's killer with any tool at their disposal.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've got decent video of the guy-showing several spots that he touched and exactly what he looks like and in 10 yrs they cant find him. No one is doing a good job on this despite what anyone says imho.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You've got decent video of the guy-showing several spots that he touched and exactly what he looks like and in 10 yrs they cant find him. No one is doing a good job on this despite what anyone says imho.

If you were in charge of catching suspect? What would you do differently.

Believe case was in Americans Most wanted already.

The Unibomber would still be on loose if top from brother did not catch guy.

That case had old FBI spending money for years with out results.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Never say never. Coco is 100% correct. Right on the money. And before someone decides to invoke the "blind hog", don't do it. Even if Coco was dead wrong, he was right because he brought something to this matter which it desperately requires: a positive outlook. Thank you, Coco.

Out of necessity, there is a lot we do not know. Ocean Springs is right next to Biloxi -- across the bridge. If I felt OSPD was not doing everything it could, I would be over there every week, pushing the PD, pushing the mayor, pushing the Council. But it is not needed, imho. One thing I do know is that Mike has a brother, a real brother, who will never rest until the scum is swept from this earth. I am just Mike's friend, and I know how much I care. It is difficult for me to fathom the depth of Steve's feelings, but you can believe that his attention is 100%.

Some cases are easy, some are tough, this is a tough one that requires something more than excellent police work. What we require is that fortune smile upon us: think positive thoughts, pray for Mike's family, the cop and a visitation by divine karma. We all know what it is to need a break

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some cases are easy, some are tough, this is a tough one that requires something more than excellent police work. What we require is that fortune smile upon us: think positive thoughts, pray for Mike's family, the cop and a visitation by divine karma. We all know what it is to need a break
And that providential fortune does arrive frequently, solving a number of seemingly hopeless murder cases.

Here's the very common way that it happens and which was very well exemplified in the film, "The Shawshank Redemption" (when the wrongfully imprisoned banker learns that a newly arrived inmate was a former cellmate of the actual murderer who gleefully bragged with full case-solvable details about the crime, and the fact that "an innocent banker was convicted of the double murder").

Creatures who commit such crimes eventually end up in the slammer. Influenced by smuggled-in drugs, alcohol, or long periods of sheer boredom -- they detail to a cellmate or yard buddies some major crimes they got away with. Eventually one of the prison's convicts barters the information directly with authorities (or via his lawyer) in exchange for a radical shortening of his own prison term or a better outcome at an upcoming parole board hearing.

Arnaldo ~ So, while the waiting is emotionally devastating, there is a glimmer of hope that the case gets solved, justice is served & punishment meted out.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Ocean Spring is not big city, it is not Biloxi. Ocean Springs is 17,000 strong. Police Department is what 30-35 Sworn Personal

Big buck offer to join their force $18.00/hr🤮.

We are not talking a big city department with resource to solve crime.

Hell in these right times Phoenix Arizona not small City has two total missing persons detectives.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are not talking a big city department with resource to solve crime.
You curse the darkness -- I light a candle.

Arnaldo ~ The case absolutely may get solved regardless of the size of any given locale and its amount of resources and law enforcement personnel. There are ample precedents for maintaining hope in these kinds of cases even when -- by inference -- some deem it totally hopeless. New leads and information arrive from totally unexpected human sources who happen to engage socially anywhere with a culprit and learn something suspicious and provocative during a relaxed or incidental conversation.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You curse the darkness -- I light a candle.

Arnaldo ~ The case absolutely may get solved regardless of the size of any given locale and its amount of resources and law enforcement personnel. There are ample precedents for maintaining hope in these kinds of cases even when -- by inference -- some deem it totally hopeless. New leads and information arrive from totally unexpected human sources who happen to engage socially anywhere with a culprit and learn something suspicious and provocative during a relaxed or incidental conversation.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well there is real world, and pretend world of TV, and ebtertsinment industry create of Cop shows.

Suspect could be dead.

Suspect could be in Prision some place and not know suspect is wanter in MS.

Suspect could be captured if the Cops get time leading to arrest.

Suspect could be hiding out of USA in place were thry found home.

Ten years is long time.

One good tip could break case.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just spoke with Steve Surber, Mike Surber's brother. There has been a new FBI agent working on the case, and he appears to be very determined. Due to the DNA of the murderer, they've got scores or hundreds of leads, which they are systematically investigating. Also the Ocean Springs PD is still diligently working on the case. Next month there will be a special news story on Mike's case on a local TV channel, WLOX.

So it's good to hear that the case is still wide open and being actively pursued!

~Doc

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did an interview for a piece their doing on Mike's murder on WLOX-TV in Biloxi, Miss. Reportedly it will air on June 8 at 4 P.M., CST. Probably can access the channel via internet.

AND-- the interviewer told me that she interviewed the detective from the Ocean Springs PD during which she distinctly got the impression from his remarks that they are close to solving the case! The detective can't give details, but judging by the WLOX interview, there's a case for encouragement!

kicker

Registered
I did an interview for a piece their doing on Mike's murder on WLOX-TV in Biloxi, Miss. Reportedly it will air on June 8 at 4 P.M., CST. Probably can access the channel via internet.

AND-- the interviewer told me that she interviewed the detective from the Ocean Springs PD during which she distinctly got the impression from his remarks that they are close to solving the case! The detective can't give details, but judging by the WLOX interview, there's a case for encouragement!
WLOX-TV report

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just spoke with Steve Surber, Mike Surber's brother. There has been a new FBI agent working on the case, and he appears to be very determined. Due to the DNA of the murderer, they've got scores or hundreds of leads, which they are systematically investigating. Also the Ocean Springs PD is still diligently working on the case. Next month there will be a special news story on Mike's case on a local TV channel, WLOX.

So it's good to hear that the case is still wide open and being actively pursued!

~Doc
You are saying they 100% have the suspects DNA? That sure was worded oddly.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member

Doc,
I appreciate all that you and many others have done to keep this visible
and to keep detectives’ interest in solving this case.
It continues to tear at our hearts.
Will Prout

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Doc,
I appreciate all that you and many others have done to keep this visible
and to keep detectives’ interest in solving this case.
It continues to tear at our hearts.
Will Prout
I can't believe this guy hasn't been found.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't believe this guy hasn't been found.

It seems that what they have is family DNA. That can lead to dozens of possibles then each one has to be looked at. Where were they at when it happened? What background does the person have? First pass may be pretty quick looking for the black sheep of a family that might fit the physical evidence. However, if this is a dead end they have to go back and look at the next level of most likely people, on and on until they reduce the suspect group to very few or one person.

When the police think they have a case they bring it to the DA's office. The DA may decide they have enough evidence to move forward or not. Best I understand murder trials can cost into low millions to prosecute and I think most of them run into low hundreds of thousands so taking these resources from other places is a tough decision. Losing a major case or two can be high risk careerwise too for the prosecutor.

Old cases become cold cases and can drop through the cracks. Keeping the heat on the local police and DA lets them know the case isn't forgotten. That can be all the difference in the world.

Hu

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
It seems that what they have is family DNA. That can lead to dozens of possibles then each one has to be looked at. Where were they at when it happened? What background does the person have? First pass may be pretty quick looking for the black sheep of a family that might fit the physical evidence. However, if this is a dead end they have to go back and look at the next level of most likely people, on and on until they reduce the suspect group to very few or one person.

When the police think they have a case they bring it to the DA's office. The DA may decide they have enough evidence to move forward or not. Best I understand murder trials can cost into low millions to prosecute and I think most of them run into low hundreds of thousands so taking these resources from other places is a tough decision. Losing a major case or two can be high risk careerwise too for the prosecutor.

Old cases become cold cases and can drop through the cracks. Keeping the heat on the local police and DA lets them know the case isn't forgotten. That can be all the difference in the world.

Hu
I think DNA has improved over the last several years. I know they can link people thru their kin folk. For example, a serial killer in LA (who was a cop BTW) was found when a family member(s) traced their DNA with ancestry testing kit. I don't think this level of tracking was available when Mike was murdered. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on DNA.