REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious about something that's possibly pertinent in these tragic and yet-unsolved cases of capital crimes:

Are law enforcement systems in place such that "Wanted" posters are routinely, and widely, circulated to plastic surgeons here and abroad? (An internet search yielded no information about my exact question -- possibly there's good reason not to have such mechanisms described in detail.)

I do realize that to-date only indistinct and unhelpful images of possible suspects in Mike's case exist. And that the cretin who murdered him would likely not be able to afford the services of a facial surgeon, but we never know.

Arnaldo ~ Altering fingerprints (a la Dillinger) is yet another matter sometimes.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious about something that's possibly pertinent in these tragic and yet-unsolved cases of capital crimes:

Are law enforcement systems in place such that "Wanted" posters are routinely, and widely, circulated to plastic surgeons here and abroad? (An internet search yielded no information about my exact question -- possibly there's good reason not to have such mechanisms described in detail.)

I do realize that to-date only indistinct and unhelpful images of possible suspects in Mike's case exist. And that the cretin who murdered him would likely not be able to afford the services of a facial surgeon, but we never know.

Arnaldo ~ Altering fingerprints (a la Dillinger) is yet another matter sometimes.

At least a good thought! Something else your post made me think about, after this long digital aging software, which I am pretty sure exists, wouldn't be a bad idea.

We are grasping at straws but it only takes one if it is the right straw!

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my heros.
Silver Member
Ocean City, MS where crime happened is small, so I would assume they do not have the resource like say the NYPD, LAPD.

This case is 10 years old, a cold case. All they need is one good tip from the public.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least a good thought! Something else your post made me think about, after this long digital aging software, which I am pretty sure exists, wouldn't be a bad idea.

We are grasping at straws but it only takes one if it is the right straw!

Hu
It definitely exists. FBI and regional & national homicide investigators have been using digital-aging for several decades.

Avid viewers of police procedural TV series have become layman-fluent in it, as are moviegoers (as featured in dozens of films about terrorists, child abductions, Secret Service cases.)

Milk carton pleas relating to missing children often have "then-now" images (digitally-conjectured "now" images).

A corresponding digital technique can -- for a given suspect or perp's photo -- project thousands of possible disguises, artificial nose, ears, facial hair & makeup possibilities. This was widely seen in the Secret Service-centric film "In the Line of Fire" and a number of Tom Clancy books made into popular films.

Arnaldo

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would have liked Mike. He loved to play pool and learn/teach new shots with other pool players. He was a deceptively strong player, especially at One Pocket. He never bragged about his game and was quick to complement others. He is missed and loved by so many because he was such a kind, gentle and humble man.
Nice comments, Jay. Mike had the talent, heart and demeanor that many of us would love to have. He worked full time, but took his vacation days every year for the DCC, where he was a threat to beat just about anyone. In fact he finished very high up in both 1P and banks several times. Whether Mike could have ever risen to the very top if he had been a full time pro player, it's hard to say. But no one was more knowledgeable than he, nor was tougher to beat.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi fellas-- Mike was murdered in his home in Ocean Springs, Miss. in 2009. But the case is still very much open at both the OSPD and the FBI. My personal hunch is that his murderer is either dead or in penitentiary in some state that does not have DNA files on their inmates, or has a reciprocity agreement. We still hope and pray that the perp is identified and caught, but of course the odds keep rising every year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi fellas-- Mike was murdered in his home in Ocean Springs, Miss. in 2009. But the case is still very much open at both the OSPD and the FBI. My personal hunch is that his murderer is either dead or in penitentiary in some state that does not have DNA files on their inmates, or has a reciprocity agreement. We still hope and pray that the perp is identified and caught, but of course the odds keep rising every year.
Somebody knows who he is and so far they aren't talking. How big is the reward money?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my heros.
Silver Member
There is no statutes of limitation on murder one case. If they catch the suspect any where he will be heading back to face justice.