REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think DNA has improved over the last several years. I know they can link people thru their kin folk. For example, a serial killer in LA (who was a cop BTW) was found when a family member(s) traced their DNA with ancestry testing kit. I don't think this level of tracking was available when Mike was murdered. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on DNA.

No expert myself. I'm not sure all of the pieces were there, I think most or all were but too expensive to be practical and of course the databases of DNA were far smaller. I think back then it was more practical to exclude somebody with DNA evidence than it was to convict them and that still cost tens of thousands best I remember. I remember it being $40K then $20K in very roughly that timeframe but I may be a full decade off now, I never needed DNA work. It is still very easy to have other DNA contaminating the sample and while the police may be sure, it is hard to bring something in a courtroom unless the sample is solid or very close to it, and the chain of possession is clean.

I know that catching Mike's killer gets easier by the day. My main hope now is that he doesn't die and escape justice. I do believe he will be found. Mike's family would still have some closure but being a lot more old testament than new I am hoping to be able to see some punishment.

Hu

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FIRST You have to have the Perps DNA-then you may be able to match it to a cousin. 2nd cousin or whoever who has 'similar DNA' (a family member) in an Ancestry site if it isnt straight up in a database itself. Once you have the cousin match it is a matter of going thru the family tree and find a guy who was the right age at the time and who maybe was known to be in the area at the time etc-Then you have to confirm by getting the perps DNA surreptitiously or Court order and if it is a match, it is likely you have your man. I asked if they had the suspect's DNA in this thread and did not receive an answer. Without his DNA, Familial DNA cannot be found. Period!

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
FIRST You have to have the Perps DNA-then you may be able to match it to a cousin. 2nd cousin or whoever who has 'similar DNA' (a family member) if it isnt straight up in a database itself. Once you have the cousin match it is a matter of going thru the family tree and find a guy who was the right age at the time and who maybe was known to be in the area at the time etc-Then you have to confirm by getting the perps DNA surreptitiously or Court order and if it is a match, it is likely you have your man. I asked if they had the suspect's DNA in this thread and did not receive an answer. Without his DNA, Familial DNA cannot be found. Period!

You are right of course but they may be starting with DNA samples from several loosely suspected people. Family DNA is likely to loosely match one of the samples. Then if you can get a known sample from the killer based on family DNA you can now match that DNA with the original DNA sample they may have. With over 99% match you now have proof the killer was there. You still haven't proven he killed anyone, you just fitted one piece to the puzzle.

There is always the question of where any possible DNA was found. At a public place like the pool hall it might reduce the suspect group to a few dozen or few hundred. DNA from inside Surber's car or anywhere at his home is much stronger. Still not proof of a crime but proof he was in this place or these places.

It isn't nearly as easy to put together enough information to take a case to trial, and win, in the real world as it is on a TV show.

Hu

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right of course but they may be starting with DNA samples from several loosely suspected people. Family DNA is likely to loosely match one of the samples. Then if you can get a known sample from the killer based on family DNA you can now match that DNA with the original DNA sample they may have. With over 99% match you now have proof the killer was there. You still haven't proven he killed anyone, you just fitted one piece to the puzzle.

There is always the question of where any possible DNA was found. At a public place like the pool hall it might reduce the suspect group to a few dozen or few hundred. DNA from inside Surber's car or anywhere at his home is much stronger. Still not proof of a crime but proof he was in this place or these places.

It isn't nearly as easy to put together enough information to take a case to trial, and win, in the real world as it is on a TV show.

Hu
I was just trying to keep it simple for the people with no idea- I could have written 8 more paragraphs that no one would read. :)

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
It has been a long time since I have employed the term, but the sniveling pos that killed Mike truly "needs killing". As a long time believer in karma, it is difficult for me to believe that it has not already met its fate. This belief, however, brings me little comfort -- I want to know, or I want it caught.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
he is already dead or in jail likely.
but something to learn from this is never go anyplace alone with a stranger.
especially one you meet in a bar or poolroom and from out of town.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he is already dead or in jail likely.
but something to learn from this is never go anyplace alone with a stranger.
especially one you meet in a bar or poolroom and from out of town.
Great advice, Maha. It's a certainty this creature has done this crime elsewhere in the past when he was sure he'd get away with it.

I advise taking this particular matter up, on any of the very active, much larger social media platforms. Somebody will remember something.

Arnaldo
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This douchebag is most likely dead or in jail. 14yrs is a long time to live that 'on the fringe' existence. Hope he got hit by a fkng semi.