Dr Dave and 1p ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Most good bankers and cb control artists already know everything Dr. Dave has to offer on banks and kicks. ...
Probably not everything, but a large part. Some pretty good players still think balls shot fast bank short because the rail compresses. Now we know that's a confusion. The reality of the shot is important for banking.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably not everything, but a large part. Some pretty good players still think balls shot fast bank short because the rail compresses. Now we know that's a confusion. The reality of the shot is important for banking.

Yeah, like I said...they may not know how or why it works, but they know how to work it. Of course, knowing the how's and why's can be a great shortcut when it comes to learning kicks and banks, but many great players learned the old school way, not knowing anything but how to make it work.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Exactly. Most good bankers and cb control artists already know everything Dr. Dave has to offer on banks and kicks. They may not know the physics behind it all, but they certainly know how to make it happen.
I think Freddy the Beard (a passable banker) said he changed his grip to shorten banks. He shortened banks very well.

pj
chgo

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, like I said...they may not know how or why it works, but they know how to work it.
The problem with thinking that "the more cushion compression, the shorter the bank" is that when applied to banks that are hit softer when the OB is near the cushion, the "cushion compression rule" will lead to the conclusion that the soft bank will not bank short, yet because the OB will slide into the cushion--just like with the hard bank--they will both come up short.

The bottom line is if you know the real reasons for certain effects, then you can figure out what will happen in most situations, where faulty beliefs will lead you to make faulty conclusions when applied to different types of shots. I think that is the point Bob Jewett was trying to make.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The problem with thinking that "the more cushion compression, the shorter the bank" is that when applied to banks that are hit softer when the OB is near the cushion, the "cushion compression rule" will lead to the conclusion that the soft bank will not bank short, yet because the OB will slide into the cushion--just like with the hard bank--they will both come up short.

The bottom line is if you know the real reasons for certain effects, then you can figure out what will happen in most situations, where faulty beliefs will lead you to make faulty conclusions when applied to different types of shots. I think that is the point Bob Jewett was trying to make.

I agree 100%. And I understood Bob's point.

I was just saying that many great bankers figured out through experience how the balls react off the cushion for any shot at any speed.
They didn't need math or proofs or slow motion video to see why certain shots behave the way do. Experience (the good ol trial and error of hamb) eventually taught them how to make the shots.

But I definitely believe a little knowledge and understanding of the physics involved in pool can provide shortcuts to learning how to make things happen, compared to relying on trial and error (hamb). So I was definitely not knocking Dr Dave one bit. I'm a fan.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Why don't I see Dr Dave's research and hard work on banks and kicks applied to the games of 1p on all levels of players ? Ball spin transfers, bumper english, In watching pro 1p games I very seldom see Dr Dave's applications being applied... Guy , Thank you all for your knowledge...
My friend Tom "Dr. Cue" Rossman has a superb banks and kicks series on YouTube. Free to watch.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why don't I see Dr Dave's research and hard work on banks and kicks applied to the games of 1p on all levels of players ? Ball spin transfers, bumper english, In watching pro 1p games I very seldom see Dr Dave's applications being applied... Guy , Thank you all for your knowledge...

I have tons of stuff available dealing with kick and bank shot systems useful in all games, including 1P, here:

You don't see this stuff being "applied" much by top players because they already have near-perfect intuition for aiming all types of shots from countless hours of past practice and successful experience; although, some pros do use many of these systems at times.

I also cover all the important effects and factors you need to consider when applying systems or when aiming by intuition here:

Also, as pointed out, Bob Jewett and I are currently working hard on a new Video Encyclopedia of One Pocket (VEOP) video series. We still have months of hard work ahead, but I'll let you guys know when clips and the full videos are available. We will have an entire volume dedicated to useful kicking and banking systems, references, and knowledge specifically useful and important in 1P.