SJM at the 2022 International Open

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I just experienced seven days at the International and I’ll file this trip report. I did not attend the one pocket, except for a bit at the end, so I’ll omit it.

Monday, October 31
The 9-ball and 10-ball began. I didn’t watch entire nine-ball matches, preferring to watch bits and pieces. I saw a) junior Kashton Keaton’s winning over Jesus Atencio, b) Amber Chen giving Al-Awadhi a tough test until a miscue erased her chances, c) Woodward needing his best to beat Candela, and d) Margaret Styer’s coming from behind to win over Pecelj. In 10-ball, Gorst offered the most impressive performance of the day, playing near perfect pool to whitewash Alcaide 11-1.

Tuesday, November 1
The 10-ball delivered, as four of the five races to 11 reached 9-9. Filler and JL Chang eked out close ones before Shaw ran over Corteza to complete the first round. In the first quarterfinal, Yapp was impressive in edging a solid Roland Garcia. The second quarterfinal, between JL Chang and Albin Ouschan was one for the ages. Albin must have been emotionally drained entering the match, having just survived a scare in the 9-ball against Hohmann. Chang’s play for the first half of the match was otherworldly, and he played to about .925 in earning a 6-3 lead, but Albin kept grinding and eked out the win.

In the 9- ball, Stage 1 continued. It was a memorable day in the tournament room filled with nail-biting matches. There were some huge comebacks, including Al Awadhi’s double hill win over Woodward, Grabe’s escape against Sanderson, Biado’s really from 8-4 down to Souto, Ku Lin Wu’s rally to top Morra, Mario He’s comeback vs Eberle and, as noted, Ouschan’s rally to beat Hohmann. Other hard-fought matches included a) Hsieh’s double hill win over Strickland, and b) relatively unknown Vietnamese player Nguyen playing well to beat Kaci.

The only negative on this day was the absence of a shot clock in 9-ball, which caused huge delays, and the evening session in 9-ball went until 2:00 AM.

Wednesday, November 2
The 9-ball delivered fewer good matches than Tuesday, but there were a few gems. One of the best was Oi’s double hill come from behind win over Grabe, A shocker was Majid’s win to eliminate Kaci. Sanderson had a great come from behind win over Al- Shaheen. One of the more memorable matches was 18-year-old Moritz Neuhausen’s convincing win over JL Chang. Tyler Styer played well and was among the remaining 48 players at day’s end.

It was all Fedor Gorst in the ten-ball, as he prevailed comfortably over both Ouschan and Filler to win the event, in which he beat four of the five Mosconi Cup Team Europe members (Alcaide, Shaw Ouschan, and Filler).

Thursday, November 3
Stage 1 was to end on this day. Kazakis put Ruiz on the loser’s side with a great come from behind win, but Ruiz managed to advance to the last sixteen anyway. Ouschan edged Alcaide in a double hill affair, and David then fell to Al-Yousef and was eliminated. Most of the favorites advanced to Stage 2, including Filler, Zielinski, Gorst Shaw and Ouschan. Both of the Ko brothers reached Stage 2, with Ko Pin Yi coming from 8-4 behind to top Robbie Capito. The Cinderella story was surely that of Jonas Souto, who reached Stage 2 at the expense of Naoyuki Oi.

Friday, November 4
Stage 2 began and the ones reaching the quarterfinals were Filler, Zielinski, He, Shaw, Souto, Ko Pin Yi, Gorst and Ouschan. The great match in the Round of 16 was Zielenski vs Ko Ping Chung, which came down to an electrifying safety battle in the double hill rack in which both played well. Zielinski won the race to the shot and ran out for victory.

It was on to the quarters, and Zielinski, after trailing 6-3 to Filler, won seven straight racks to reach the semis. Gorst continued to show otherworldly form to easily beat Ouschan, Shaw demolished Souto and Ko Pin Yi outdueled Mario He. The semifinals were set, with Zielinski vs Gorst and Shaw vs Ko Pin Yi.

Saturday, November 5
Four good stories were waiting to happen. Would Shaw add the International to his 2022 resume that included setting a 14.1 high run record? Was the Ko Pin Yi of 2015 back? Would Zielinski win his first major? Would Gorst achieve the unfathomable and win both the 10-ball and the 9-ball at the same International?

In the first semifinal, Zielinski’s play was superb and he outplayed an off-form Gorst to reach the final. Shaw was then brilliant in dismissing Ko Pin Yi to earn his spot in the final. Shaw’s outstanding play continued in the final, and he outgunned Zielinski to win the title.

The Hotel
I’ve never been terribly keen on the Sheraton Norfolk hotel, but it’s very suitable for this event, having a great ballroom.

The Equipment and the Officiating
There were area refs for each section of the arena. In the early rounds, a few of them seemed less than up to the task, and many players with whom I spoke were dissatisfied with the racks they were getting. By the later rounds, referees did a better job. The tables played well and seemed to play a little looser than those at the US Open last month, but they were certainly not loose.

The Break Rule
The break rule was nine on the spot with a break box. Unlike at the US Open 9-ball, alternate break was in effect, and this was to the liking of most of the pros with whom I spoke.

The Sparkling Play of the Women
Even in the absence of Kelly Fisher, the women’s contingent had to be reckoned with. Margaret Styer beat Aleksa Pecelj. Kristina Tkach gave Brandon Shuff all he could handle in a close loss. Pia Filler made eventual quarterfinalist Souto work hard for victory. Amber Chen gave Bader Al-Awadhi a stiff test, too. Women’s pro pool is in good hands.

The Basics of the Fan Experience
The tournament room was exceptional. Internet tracking of the scores on the digital pool website was OK, but the site was not always dependable. All streamed matches were played with a shot clock, and this was very much to my liking. There was a snack bar, but the choices were few and the food was not very good.

The BCA Hall of Fame Dinner
Friday night brought the BCA Hall of Fame dinner. Mike Panozzo has the hall of fame banquet down to a science and he presided with his usual excellence. He welcomed members of the BCA, congratulated the two inductees, and introduced the BCA Hall of Famers in attendance, including Pat Fleming, Kim Davenport, Nick Varner, Mike Massey, Darren Appleton, Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann.

Shane Tyree of the BCA made a brief presentation to Jayson Shaw in recognition of his world record 14.1 run in January, but then it was on to the inductions.

Jay Helfert spoke with eloquence about Dennis’ life story, in which Jay had played a major supporting role. Dennis, who came from humble beginnings, had been involved in menial jobs in the tuna fishing trade as a youth, but, thanks to his grandfather, found pool early in life. When he first came to the United States in 2006, he found instant success and pool became his full-time profession. The rest, as they say, is history.

Jay then introduced Dennis, who addressed the gathering live on video and spoke well for about five minutes with a central theme of gratitude for all those who had supported him on his long journey to pool superstardom.

Next, Mark Wilson introduced Jerry Briesath. Mark spoke well, but chose to be brief, quickly giving Jerry the stage to himself. Jerry, who spoke well, reminisced about how he got into pool instruction and about the many gratifying experiences he’d had. Although he had influenced many pros, he focused on his experiences teaching amateurs, and it was clear that this had been his true passion. Jerry called on the world of pool to support young people who want to get into pool and urged the pool instruction profession to continue growing its associations with colleges and their students. Jerry still has dreams about what pool can be in America, and the attendees enjoyed sharing those dreams with him. Well said, Jerry.

The hall of fame dinner was a wonderful occasion and I’m so glad I attended.

How Did Pat Fleming Do With this Event?
Pat gave us a killer field, with 11 of the Top 13 based on Fargo in the field. The tournament room was great, with six tables on either side of the stream table and plenty of good seats from which to view any match. Scoreboards were large and could be seen easily from either side of the table, even at distance.

I loved the 16 player Stage 2 format. The pacing of the event was improved from a year ago, and the event built to the climax that attendees hope for, as nine of the top 20 based on Fargo made it to the round of 16.

In general, the production of this event was first rate and Pat Fleming and his team rose to the occasion.

The International Socially
As has been the case of late, I didn’t socialize much outside the tournament room, but even outside the tournament room, I did get some quality time with well-known pool figures Mike Sigel, Mike Massey, Bobby Chamberlain, Jayson Shaw, Elliot Sanderson, Darren Appleton, Imran Majid, Mario He, Max Lechner, Albin Ouschan, Jerry Briesath and Bob Jewett. Inside the tournament room, I caught up with dozens of pros. Among others with whom I managed to catch up briefly were Mike Page, Mike Shamos, Jay Helfert, Mike Panozzo, and Nick Varner.

Conclusion
So that’s about the size of it. Pat Fleming’s International Open delivered yet again.

Last edited:

SEB

Also Noteworthy….

Mark Wilson never skips an opportunity to be bland, boring ass Mark Wilson.

The man had Fedor on the mic after the kid just beat damn near the whole Mosconi Cup team he just got ghosted for and what does Mark do…HE DOESNT EVEN ASK HIM ABOUT IT.

Just a weak move on so many levels.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Also Noteworthy….

The man had Fedor on the mic after the kid just beat damn near the whole Mosconi Cup team he just got ghosted for and what does Mark do…HE DOESNT EVEN ASK HIM ABOUT IT.

I missed this interview, but on the subject, I think Ra Hanna does a pretty good job with post-match interviews. Ra brings a lot of energy to the proceedings.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Funniest moment of the tourney came in the Strickland vs Souto match on Thursday.

Jonas Souto has a habit of reaching for his water bottle umpteen times and seemingly on every turn. Strickland, tiring of the slow play that resulted, said to him "you must be the world's thirstiest man."

Absolutely hilarious!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also Noteworthy….

Could be he avoided the question because they likely left him off of the team because of his nationality

Guy Manges

Registered
I just experienced seven days at the International and I’ll file this trip report. I did not attend the one pocket, except for a bit at the end, so I’ll omit it.

Monday, October 31
The 9-ball and 10-ball began. I didn’t watch entire nine-ball matches, preferring to watch bits and pieces. I saw a) junior Kashton Keaton’s winning over Jesus Atencio, b) Amber Chen giving Al-Awadhi a tough test until a miscue erased her chances, c) Woodward needing his best to beat Candela, and d) Margaret Styer’s coming from behind to win over Pecelj. In 10-ball, Gorst offered the most impressive performance of the day, playing near perfect pool to whitewash Alcaide 11-1.

Tuesday, November 1
The 10-ball delivered, as four of the five races to 11 reached 9-9. Filler and JL Chang eked out close ones before Shaw ran over Corteza to complete the first round. In the first quarterfinal, Yapp was impressive in edging a solid Roland Garcia. The second quarterfinal, between JL Chang and Albin Ouschan was one for the ages. Albin must have been emotionally drained entering the match, having just survived a scare in the 9-ball against Hohmann. Chang’s play for the first half of the match was otherworldly, and he played to about .925 in earning a 6-3 lead, but Albin kept grinding and eked out the win.

In the 9- ball, Stage 1 continued. It was a memorable day in the tournament room filled with nail-biting matches. There were some huge comebacks, including Al Awadhi’s double hill win over Woodward, Grabe’s escape against Sanderson, Biado’s really from 8-4 down to Souto, Ku Lin Wu’s rally to top Morra, Mario He’s comeback vs Eberle and, as noted, Ouschan’s rally to beat Hohmann. Other hard-fought matches included a) Hsieh’s double hill win over Strickland, and b) relatively unknown Vietnamese player Nguyen playing well to beat Kaci.

The only negative on this day was the absence of a shot clock in 9-ball, which caused huge delays, and the evening session in 9-ball went until 2:00 AM.

Wednesday, November 2
The 9-ball delivered fewer good matches than Tuesday, but there were a few gems. One of the best was Oi’s double hill come from behind win over Grabe, A shocker was Majid’s win to eliminate Kaci. Sanderson had a great come from behind win over Al- Shaheen. One of the more memorable matches was 18-year-old Moritz Neuhausen’s convincing win over JL Chang. Tyler Styer played well and was among the remaining 48 players at day’s end.

It was all Fedor Gorst in the ten-ball, as he prevailed comfortably over both Ouschan and Filler to win the event, in which he beat four of the five Mosconi Cup Team Europe members (Alcaide, Shaw Ouschan, and Filler).

Thursday, November 3
Stage 1 was to end on this day. Kazakis put Ruiz on the loser’s side with a great come from behind win, but Ruiz managed to advance to the last sixteen anyway. Ouschan edged Alcaide in a double hill affair, and David then fell to Al-Yousef and was eliminated. Most of the favorites advanced to Stage 2, including Filler, Zielinski, Gorst Shaw and Ouschan. Both of the Ko brothers reached Stage 2, with Ko Pin Yi coming from 8-4 behind to top Robbie Capito. The Cinderella story was surely that of Jonas Souto, who reached Stage 2 at the expense of Naoyuki Oi.

Friday, November 4
Stage 2 began and the ones reaching the quarterfinals were Filler, Zielinski, He, Shaw, Souto, Ko Pin Yi, Gorst and Ouschan. The great match in the Round of 16 was Zielenski vs Ko Ping Chung, which came down to an electrifying safety battle in the double hill rack in which both played well. Zielinski won the race to the shot and ran out for victory.

It was on to the quarters, and Zielinski, after trailing 6-3 to Filler, won seven straight racks to reach the semis. Gorst continued to show otherworldly form to easily beat Ouschan, Shaw demolished Souto and Ko Pin Yi outdueled Mario He. The semifinals were set, with Zielinski vs Gorst and Shaw vs Ko Pin Yi.

Saturday, November 5
Four good stories were waiting to happen. Would Shaw add the International to his 2022 resume that included setting a 14.1 high run record? Was the Ko Pin Yi of 2015 back? Would Zielinski win his first major? Would Gorst achieve the unfathomable and win both the 10-ball and the 9-ball at the same International?

In the first semifinal, Zielinski’s play was superb and he outplayed an off-form Gorst to reach the final. Shaw was then brilliant in dismissing Ko Pin Yi to earn his spot in the final. Shaw’s outstanding play continued in the final, and he outgunned Zielinski to win the title.

The Hotel
I’ve never been terribly keen on the Sheraton Norfolk hotel, but it’s very suitable for this event, having a great ballroom.

The Equipment and the Officiating
There were area refs for each section of the arena. In the early rounds, a few of them seemed less than up to the task, and many players with whom I spoke were dissatisfied with the racks they were getting. By the later rounds, referees did a better job. The tables played well and seemed to play a little looser than those at the US Open last month, but they were certainly not loose.

The Break Rule
The break rule was nine on the spot with a break box. Unlike at the US Open 9-ball, alternate break was in effect, and this was to the liking of most of the pros with whom I spoke.

The Sparkling Play of the Women
Even in the absence of Kelly Fisher, the women’s contingent had to be reckoned with. Margaret Styer beat Aleksa Pecelj. Kristina Tkach gave Brandon Shuff all he could handle in a close loss. Pia Filler made eventual quarterfinalist Souto work hard for victory. Amber Chen gave Bader Al-Awadhi a stiff test, too. Women’s pro pool is in good hands.

The Basics of the Fan Experience
The tournament room was exceptional. Internet tracking of the scores on the digital pool website was OK, but the site was not always dependable. All streamed matches were played with a shot clock, and this was very much to my liking. There was a snack bar, but the choices were few and the food was not very good.

The BCA Hall of Fame Dinner
Friday night brought the BCA Hall of Fame dinner. Mike Panozzo has the hall of fame banquet down to a science and he presided with his usual excellence. He welcomed members of the BCA, congratulated the two inductees, and introduced the BCA Hall of Famers in attendance, including Pat Fleming, Kim Davenport, Nick Varner, Mike Massey, Darren Appleton, Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann.

Shane Tyree of the BCA made a brief presentation to Jayson Shaw in recognition of his world record 14.1 run in January, but then it was on to the inductions.

Jay Helfert spoke with eloquence about Dennis’ life story, in which Jay had played a major supporting role. Dennis, who came from humble beginnings, had been involved in menial jobs in the tuna fishing trade as a youth, but, thanks to his grandfather, found pool early in life. When he first came to the United States in 2006, he found instant success and pool became his full-time profession. The rest, as they say, is history.

Jay then introduced Dennis, who addressed the gathering live on video and spoke well for about five minutes with a central theme of gratitude for all those who had supported him on his long journey to pool superstardom.

Next, Mark Wilson introduced Jerry Briesath. Mark spoke well, but chose to be brief, quickly giving Jerry the stage to himself. Jerry, who spoke well, reminisced about how he got into pool instruction and about the many gratifying experiences he’d had. Although he had influenced many pros, he focused on his experiences teaching amateurs, and it was clear that this had been his true passion. Jerry called on the world of pool to support young people who want to get into pool urged the pool instruction profession to continue growing its associations with colleges and their students. Jerry still has dreams about what pool can be in America, and the attendees enjoyed sharing those dreams with him. Well said, Jerry.

The hall of fame dinner was a wonderful occasion and I’m so glad I attended.

How Did Pat Fleming Do With this Event?
Pat gave us a killer field, with 11 of the Top 13 based on Fargo in the field. The tournament room was great, with six tables on either side of the stream table and plenty of good seats from which to view any match. Scoreboards were large and could be seen easily from either side of the table, even at distance.

I loved the 16 player Stage 2 format. The pacing of the event was improved from a year ago, and the event built to the climax that attendees hope for, as nine of the top 20 based on Fargo made it to the round of 16.

In general, the production of this event was first rate and Pat Fleming and his team rose to the occasion.

The International Socially
As has been the case of late, I didn’t socialize much outside the tournament room, but even outside the tournament room, I did get some quality time with well-known pool figures Mike Sigel, Mike Massey, Bobby Chamberlain, Jayson Shaw, Elliot Sanderson, Darren Appleton, Imran Majid, Mario He, Max Lechner, Albin Ouschan, Jerry Briesath and Bob Jewett. Inside the tournament room, I caught up with dozens of pros. Among others with whom I managed to catch up briefly were Mike Page, Mike Shamos, Jay Helfert, Mike Panozzo, and Nick Varner.

Conclusion
So that’s about the size of it. Pat Fleming’s International Open delivered yet again.
Stu, again a big thanks... I'm not a fan of Shaw, so that was sad... Real good to hear Kash win, I know well their just words but thank you much for what you are able to do... Guy

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Could be he avoided the question because they likely left him off of the team because of his nationality
Fedor's nationality cost him his spot, but only indirectly. It was the Russian ban that cost him the opportunity to play the Matchroom events in 2022, with the exception of the US Open, in which he came tied for 33rd. Similarly, the politics of the Ukrainian war made remaining in the US the smart move this year, and it's quite likely that he'd have had visa/travel issues had he traveled to Europe, so he might well have turned down the Mosconi spot if offered.

Surely, had Fedor played the full Matchroom schedule, he'd have been an automatic qualifier. I am of the opinion that if one doesn't play the Matchroom events, one is unworthy of participation in Matchroom Premier invitational event of the year, although the Earl pick demonstrates that Matchroom feels otherwise, as Earl has played in just one Matchroom event in the past two years.

The Russian ban did great harm to our sport this year, and this is just one more example. I really take no issue with Mark's avoidance of this subject.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, again a big thanks... I'm not a fan of Shaw, so that was sad... Real good to hear Kash win, I know well their just words but thank you much for what you are able to do... Guy
Jayson brings an energy to pool that is good for our sport. He is passionate about competing, prepares hard and earns every ounce of success he enjoys.

I'm not telling you who to root for, but give credit where credit where is due, for Jayson is one of pool's most dynamic and exciting players. The feel in the arena was electric during his matches.

PracticeChampion

I missed this interview, but on the subject, I think Ra Hanna does a pretty good job with post-match interviews. Ra brings a lot of energy to the proceedings.
He is full of energy, sometimes and especially in the earlier days he has a big time wrestling sound LoL but loves the game and really puts a spot light of the upcoming kids. Speaking of the upcomings, boy is their a bunch of good ones both boys and girls.

Not sure which match I was watching but they gave you a shout out 👍

Guy Manges

Registered
Jayson brings an energy to pool that is good for our sport. He is passionate about competing, prepares hard and earns every ounce of success he enjoys.

I'm not telling you who to root for, but give credit where credit where is due, for Jayson is one of pool's most dynamic and exciting players. The feel in the arena was electric during his matches.
Have to, I am a left hander also... Guy

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedor's nationality cost him his spot, but only indirectly. It was the Russian ban that cost him the opportunity to play the Matchroom events in 2022, with the exception of the US Open, in which he came tied for 33rd. Similarly, the politics of the Ukrainian war made remaining in the US the smart move this year, and it's quite likely that he'd have had visa/travel issues had he traveled to Europe, so he might well have turned down the Mosconi spot if offered.

Surely, had Fedor played the full Matchroom schedule, he'd have been an automatic qualifier. I am of the opinion that if one doesn't play the Matchroom events, one is unworthy of participation in Matchroom Premier invitational event of the year, although the Earl pick demonstrates that Matchroom feels otherwise, as Earl has played in just one Matchroom event in the past two years.

The Russian ban did great harm to our sport this year, and this is just one more example. I really take no issue with Mark's avoidance of this subject.
Gorst is, of course, not responsible for the actions of Putin, but he is impacted nonetheless. In some ways, I bet he is just happy he hasn't been drafted to fight in the war. He is definitely of draft age- I wonder what will happen if he returns home. Maybe they would make an exception for him because he is such a great pool player

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funniest moment of the tourney came in the Strickland vs Souto match on Thursday.

Jonas Souto has a habit of reaching for his water bottle umpteen times and seemingly on every turn. Strickland, tiring of the slow play that resulted, said to him "you must be the world's thirstiest man."

Absolutely hilarious!
I saw that match went hill/hill.

How did that end? Did Souto just shoot well or did Earl make any crucial mistakes?

Stevexjfe

Earl played in the 2021 U.S Open the only Matchroom event, although he did play in the 2022 Diamond Open and 2022 International Open which are on the Matchroom rankings list of events, but I know what you mean.

Some could say Earl got in due to past successes at the Mosconi Cup over what would be three rookies in Roberts, Wolford and Hogue.
As well as over out form picks like Thorpe, Reinhold and Corey. I don't know, in hindsight the pick probably wasn't that surprising after not getting the opportunity to play last year.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
.... he did play in the 2022 Diamond Open and 2022 International Open which are on the Matchroom rankings list of events, but I know what you mean.
Even though they offer some Matchroom ranking points, those are not Matchroom events, Earl likely got in because of what happened last year at the Mosconi.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Stu for your excellent recap of a great event. No one notices or even knows what goes on behind the scenes in producing an event like this. For Pat Fleming to pull this off year after year is AMAZING! There is little if any money to be made for him in this endeavor. Trust me on that. The expenses are high and the return is low. He added $68,000 in total money to the prize fund, and if you add in all his other expenses (ballroom rental, staff, transportation cost, advertising and promotion, etc. etc.) I don't see how he could possibly turn a profit. Been there, done that.

The International had a strong field of players, with many of the best from Europe and Asia joining our top pros. There was great play all the way through from the second round on. Some very good players failed to get into the money. I thought the tables were great and it appears to me that the new Diamonds play even better now than the older ones. I won't go into the details but I played a little on one in the practice room and found areas where they had improved the table's playability. There were some deficencies in the older Diamonds that have been corrected. Let's just leave it at that. I would suggest that if you want to see a well run event with many of the best in the game, make plans to go to the International 9-Ball next year. Seating is excellent, it is not an expensve event to attend and the location is a scenic one on the Norfolk port. My wife and I took an enjoyable walk along the waterway and got lots of good pics. Within easy walking distance of the hotel are good restaurants and even a very nice mall.

Accu-Stats (also Pat) does an excellent job of streaming with a knowledgable crew (cameras, sound, graphics) doing an excellent job of showing us all the action. I love hearing Mark and Jeremy doing commentary together. It doesn't get any better than that. I was complimented when Mark asked me to sit in with Jeremy on a match Friday night. That was a real treat for me since I enjoy JJ's commentary so much. I got to work with him on the Zielinski-Filler match and it was a doozy. Filler had everything under control and led 6-3, and looked like he was ready to make it 7-3, when a misplayed safety turned things around. Zielinski (only 21) took over from there. The momentum had totally shifted and you could see that Zielinski was comfortable now and stroking freely. He completely took charge and won the last seven games in a row for a 10-6 win over the great Filler.

What stood our for me was the sheer number of talented young players (18-21) who are on the scene now. These guys can all play and none of them are intimidated by the proven champions. Pool has truly become an international sport and is deserving of more recognition and increased prize money for these world class players. All this said my hat is off to Jayson Shaw, one of our greatest players for over a decade now. He was not to be denied and played great pool from day one until the stirring (must see) final against a determined Wiktor Zielinski. That may have been the best match I saw in my three days there. Jayson got tested by the young man from Poland and stayed strong to win a hard fought 13-10 final.

It was a privilege for me to make the presentation to my dear friend Dennis Orcollo. There is no higher honor in our sport than to be inducted into the Billiards Hall of Fame. Only the very best are in there. Bravo Dennis Orcollo, pool's newest Hall of Famer! And to my friend Jerry Breisath as well! Hats off once again to Mike Panozzo who produces the HOF banquet every year. It was my pleasure to sit next to Shane Tyree and Shane Bouchard of the BCA. So now we have three illustrious Shanes in our sport, and that's a good thing.

Added a couple of pics. With Shane Tyree at the HOF banquet, with my old buddy Mike Massey and honoring Dennis Orcollo.

Attachments

• 314438608_652735926340485_5819117351245227500_n.jpg
    314438608_652735926340485_5819117351245227500_n.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 314421102_1108695306448217_319606571745227926_n.jpg
    314421102_1108695306448217_319606571745227926_n.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 314868327_799748231138557_6924816037596980862_n.jpg
    314868327_799748231138557_6924816037596980862_n.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorst is, of course, not responsible for the actions of Putin, but he is impacted nonetheless. In some ways, I bet he is just happy he hasn't been drafted to fight in the war. He is definitely of draft age- I wonder what will happen if he returns home. Maybe they would make an exception for him because he is such a great pool player
Putin and his gang are savages(on par with the WWII Nazis) and don't care who they send into the meat grinder.
He should defect to the U.S. and ask for political asylum.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played in the 2021 U.S Open the only Matchroom event, although he did play in the 2022 Diamond Open and 2022 International Open which are on the Matchroom rankings list of events, but I know what you mean.

Some could say Earl got in due to past successes at the Mosconi Cup over what would be three rookies in Roberts, Wolford and Hogue.
As well as over out form picks like Thorpe, Reinhold and Corey. I don't know, in hindsight the pick probably wasn't that surprising after not getting the opportunity to play last year.

i was going to suggest just make all picks money based, but that would mean shane wolford and greg hogue. both rookies and hogue isn't even top 100 fargo USA.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 10-ball delivered, as four of the five races to 11 reached 9-9. Filler and JL Chang eked out close ones before Shaw ran over Corteza to complete the first round. In the first quarterfinal, Yapp was impressive in edging a solid Roland Garcia.

What you didn't mention was that when he was down 10 to 9, Garcia dogged one of the easiest 10 balls in the entire tournament, a shot he'd usually make 999 out of 1000 tries. It was doubly shocking because he'd played so well up to that point. But you could see during his warmup strokes on that 10 ball that he was coming down with a serious case of the yips.