Matchroom picks the DRAMA QUEEN.

GentlemanJames

Earl is a one man show. Today's players are great at shooting but in terms of sports entertainment don't deliver anything special.

Earl has delivered and does deliver as evidenced by his popularity on social media. Emily Frazer understands this and acts accordingly. If Emily is pursuing it has value.
Sadly, this is true on both counts.

1) Back in the day Pool was full of colorful characters with equally colorful names; and many had some sort of 'thing about them' that distinguished themselves from the others - making for a highly colorful and entertaining 'show' for the general public to latch onto;

And,

2) Displays of bad/distasteful behavior exhibited by professionals during a sporting contest is NEVER entertaining in my book. - GJ

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Sadly, this is true on both counts.

1) Back in the day Pool was full of colorful characters with equally colorful names; and many had some sort of 'thing about them' that distinguished themselves from the others - making for a highly colorful and entertaining 'show' for the general public to latch onto;

And,

2) Displays of bad/distasteful behavior exhibited by professionals during a sporting contest is NEVER entertaining in my book. - GJ
Except that there's constant bench clearing fights including managers into their 50s or 60s in baseball, fights in basketball, football, should I mention hockey, but everybody loses their $#!+ when the smallest thing happens in pool - what a joke

DelayedJuice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A late friend whom I admired very much took Earl to the hill at a reno open event. He went to shake Earls hand before the deciding game like a gentleman and Earl told him to f*ck off. I cheer on team USA every year but not this year. Sad but his personality is to common in pool and why pool will never be big.

GentlemanJames

A late friend whom I admired very much took Earl to the hill at a reno open event. He went to shake Earls hand before the deciding game like a gentleman and Earl told him to f*ck off. I cheer on team USA every year but not this year. Sad but his personality is to common in pool and why pool will never be big.
This is a sad story.

I'm not interested in pointing the dirty end of the stick at Earl only - as one of my favorite guys of all time was Jimmy Reid, and sadly, there are plenty of stories of 'Hippy Jimmy' engaging in this type of behavior under pressure - but, I guess the thing is, unlike Professional Team Sports, in "Mano Y Mano" contests, if you end-up paired against the other guy, then you need to respect him - that is, if you respect yourself - or you wouldn't be facing him one-on-one over The Green Felt Jungle in the first place.

And, IMHO behavior and conduct should reflect that at all times.

And, this why I find Tennis' John McEnroe the absolute worst offender of this type of bad behavior; as Tennis is another Mano Y Mano contest; and also like pool - even when you are playing in the sketchiest pool hall against the shadiest dude in the room - we should, ideally, conduct ourselves as Men-of-Honor; and, even if the other guy cleans you clock (and wallet), acting respectfully and not throwing a tantrum is - imho - should be how pool players respect their opponents, the game, and ourselves.

If a guy wipes the floor with you, shake his hand and thank him for giving you a great game that took you beyond your limit, and, tell him how great he plays, and it was an honor having him kick your butt.

In my book, win or lose, it's what a gentleman does. - GJ

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a sad story.

I'm not interested in pointing the dirty end of the stick at Earl only - as one of my favorite guys of all time was Jimmy Reid, and sadly, there are plenty of stories of 'Hippy Jimmy' engaging in this type of behavior under pressure - but, I guess the thing is, unlike Professional Team Sports, in "Mano Y Mano" contests, if you end-up paired against the other guy, then you need to respect him - that is, if you respect yourself - or you wouldn't be facing him one-on-one on The Green Felt Jungle in the first place.

And, IMHO behavior and conduct should reflect that at all times.

And, this why I find Tennis' John McEnroe the absolute worst offender of this type of bad behavior; as Tennis is another Mano Y Mano contest; and also like pool - even when you are playing in the sketchiest pool hall against the shadiest dude in the room - we should, ideally, conduct ourselves as Men-of-Honor; and, even if the other guy cleans you clock (and wallet), acting respectfully and not throwing a tantrum is - imho - should be how pool players respect their opponents, the game, and ourselves.

If a guy wipes the floor with you, shake his hand and thank him for giving you a great game that took you beyond your limit, and, tell him how great he plays, and it was an honor having him kick your butt.

In my book, win or lose, it's what a gentleman does. - GJ
Bubba Wallace bested McEnroe AND Earl in less then 10 minutes. AFAIC, Wallace should be banned from driving stock cars for life. Someone could have been hurt or killed. So what does NASCAR do? A slap on the wrist. Got to have respect for Michael Jordan though. He socked it to him.

All sports have their problems. Very few sports, if any, are excluded from bad behavior. I do not see any sport as bad because of the behavior of one man.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Matchroom/Emily care about "the show" much more than about the integrity of the game. It's about filling seats and getting viewers.
I understand that.
But it's a catch 22: Matchroom has to change the standards to create interest in their tourneys, and many traditionalists- myself included- don't like this.
It is what it is though, and it's our option whether to watch their productions or not.

And, for the record, Earl wouldn't be on my team ANY year. He's been given enough air-time on the team in past years.
He is the ultimate troll, I have zero respect for him. Apparently he must NEVER miss when he plays by himself, because he always seems to blame others for his errors.
Joey Tate would've been a MUCH better choice.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So who won?

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bubba Wallace bested McEnroe AND Earl in less then 10 minutes. AFAIC, Wallace should be banned from driving stock cars for life. Someone could have been hurt or killed. So what does NASCAR do? A slap on the wrist. Got to have respect for Michael Jordan though. He socked it to him.

All sports have their problems. Very few sports, if any, are excluded from bad behavior. I do not see any sport as bad because of the behavior of one man.
What did jordan do to bubba?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
More to do with relationships! Svb and Earl are best friends...

I believe svb was asked who he wanted!

Earl had SVB switch to the long cue and that made his game jump greatly.

One good turn deserves another!

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl getting picked is just payback for him missing the last one. Hopefully this will be it for Earl. He can't beat the current crop of top players.

realtor1618

Registered
Earl getting picked is just payback for him missing the last one. Hopefully this will be it for Earl. He can't beat the current crop of top players.
Other than SVB who in the USA can? Don’t get me wrong, I think Earl is a bad pick for reasons other than his actual game. But his game is still pretty good. Not world class, but just about as good as anybody the USA can offer these days other than SVB.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that is false. JJ was asked repeatedly who he was looking at for the final choice. He didn't say, "Ask Emily."

Or at least it is portrayed as the decision of the Captains.
This

Attachments

• matchroom-will-bring-the-drama-v0-bbbrq76226y91.jpg
    matchroom-will-bring-the-drama-v0-bbbrq76226y91.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 66

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did jordan do to bubba?

45 sec into video.

Earl should have got a similar penalty, except 1 million in his case would have been Overkill considering what pool players make. But I'll bet $5,000 would have got his attention!

I guess this is a good reason to have a sanctioning body that presides over all pool. They could have fined Earl's ass or he would never play in a tournament again...anywhere.