The Quite Eye

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Also, the term cheat the pocket is a misnomer. One is not cheating the pocket by deliberately aiming to send the object ball to one side or the other. One is using the whole pocket rather than just the center of it. Obviously the amount of room one has to work with is determined by the pocket size, angle of the cut and depth of the shelf.
I think the bolded is just as inaccurate as the term "cheating the pocket". You're not using the 'whole pocket' when you deliberately increase the likelyhood of a bad shot my removing margin for error on one side. Using the whole pocket would be providing yourself with the greatest chance to drop the ball.

Although I'm just as guilty as most with using the phrase "cheating". I generally pull it out when I'm intentional clipping the point in an otherwise direct potting angle.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the bolded is just as inaccurate as the term "cheating the pocket". You're not using the 'whole pocket' when you deliberately increase the likelyhood of a bad shot my removing margin for error on one side. Using the whole pocket would be providing yourself with the greatest chance to drop the ball.

Although I'm just as guilty as most with using the phrase "cheating". I generally pull it out when I'm intentional clipping the point in an otherwise direct potting angle.
I don't see anything wrong with calling it "cheating." Should we stop calling shots fat or thin, too?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I don't see anything wrong with calling it "cheating." Should we stop calling shots fat or thin, too?
The terms are quite offensive and do not promote body positivity. Why don't we just call them full or less full ball hits? ;)
🤣 🤣 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Oh, I will always call it "cheating". Don't get me wrong. IMO, if you're not purposely aiming for the heart of the pocket, then you are cheating the margin for error. Just saying that if we were going to go by actual definitions of words, then it's probably not the most appropriate turn of phrase.

Not sure why John opted to pay attention to the actual definitions of words this time around. However it good mean for some exciting posts in the future.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought cheating the pocket is what Jason Shaw was doing on his straight pool high run. Hitting the OB 6 inches up the rail and it still going in, lol. Don't blame him a bit. Take what the table gives you.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Well, if you have an opening that is larger than the object going into it then you can choose which part of that opening to use. For each choice the object ball must be struck in a different place.

If you are good enough to consistently send the object ball to whatever part of the pocket you want to then you are able to use the whole opening.

If you're not then your best bet is to aim for the center of the pocket. This will reduce the range of tangent lines you can use deliberately and make position play less consistent due to the range of off-center hits produced by attempting to send the object ball over the center.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Quiet Eye's focus quiets the mind - to calm nerves for a smooth take away in the stroke. Everything
else involving aiming calculations are done before it. SPF taught in pool - Set, Pause, Finish
SET or even PRE-SET is where all the aiming and calculations for speed and spin take place.

Putting in golf is most similar to pool. You have a tool (putter/pool cue); a ball; a hole; aim and alignment; PAUSE; the stroke.

Here is what you do when using QUIET EYE when putting.
* Line up your put.
* Take your stance over the ball.
* Look at the hole-Look at your ball.
* Look at the hole-Look at your ball-stroke your putt.

What happens is your mind is free and no longer muddled with line and distance.

SO TELL ME. HOW DO YOU APPLY THIS TO GETTING DOWN OVER THE CUE BALL. ANYONE. ANYONE FERRIS.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
My (mis?)understanding of "quiet eye" in pool is that it simply means keeping your eyes focused on the OB without moving while your stick is paused at the CB just before the shot stroke.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My (mis?)understanding of "quiet eye" in pool is that it simply means keeping your eyes focused on the OB without moving while your stick is paused at the CB just before the shot stroke.

pj
chgo
me too (you need at least 3 seconds)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you provide a link?
garczar’s link suggested 2-3 seconds
I don't have a reference at hand. I think pool is different from golf.

I think that a good example is Allison Fisher. She moves her eye from the cue ball to the object ball as she comes back to the rear pause. She does not wait there for three seconds.

As I recall, "expert" pool players were up around 0.8 seconds. Randy G probably has the reference.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The "digicue" is an excellent tool to help with stroke mechanics. But it seems to have been discontinued, no longer available. Too bad. Good little device.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you provide a link?
garczar’s link suggested 2-3 seconds
i agree with Bob. Even in golf i rarely 'gaze' that long while putting. I think the 'quiet time' is going to vary from player-2-player. your faster/jittery players may need a lil longer. slower methodical folks may not need so long as they are already slower/more paced players.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, the term cheat the pocket is a misnomer. One is not cheating the pocket by deliberately aiming to send the object ball to one side or the other. One is using the whole pocket rather than just the center of it. Obviously the amount of room one has to work with is determined by the pocket size, angle of the cut and depth of the shelf.
This is so key. Combined with the use of convergent inside english and Dr. Dave’s use of outside gearing english, the game simplifies greatly.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so key. Combined with the use of convergent inside english and Dr. Dave’s use of outside gearing english, the game simplifies greatly.
I think everyone's banned from this forum so there won't be so much ignorance on display.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think everyone's banned from this forum so there won't be so much ignorance on display.
i dont think ignorance was on display here for the most part
you had a group of individuals that felt the need to argue and call each other names .
jmho
icbw