PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Pro Tour Rankings from December, 1986, to December, 1987:
Mike Sigel.jpg

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of remember a 15-year-old Mike beating Richie Florence so bad that Richie quit playing and stuck to promoting. If I am remembering this wrong someone please set me straight.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
toss up

as great a talent as Earl was, I can see prime Sigel dismantling him for the cash, I think he actually did too

Earl was built for short form tourney 9 ball
Earl was quoted as saying he had over $3000 in his pocket and Mike could bust him if he thought he could. And Mike did not play him that day at Chattanooga Billiard Club.
Dominated American pool where? In america lol? The only reason was because none of the Filipinos came to the US...At the time I'm sure their junior players could whoop seagulls butt. . Also, it took no time at all for Europe to surpass the US because the US had no coaching or any sense of technique...they just drank and gambled back then.
Not Earl. I used to set up at many pro events in the late 80s and early 90s working on pool cues. Earl would practice almost all day long before playing matches. He was rarely if ever gambling and was just practicing. And he not only won, but ran over other pros time after time. I never saw anyone approach him to ask for a game while he was practicing. It is hard to ask someone to play who is just running rack after rack. Or is just breaking over and over and making balls almost every time.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Earl suggested on his video documentary that he had a good run gambling

any truth to that, or is he an unreliable narrator?
Yes, there is truth. I recall seeing him in action in New York City in 1980 at the age of 19 and he was still a relative unknown. In his early days, he was a very good action player. He knew better than to bark at Buddy Hall or Mike Sigel at that time, but he was soon their equal.

I was told it Mike was

Not Earl. I used to set up at many pro events in the late 80s and early 90s working on pool cues. Earl would practice almost all day long before playing matches. He was rarely if ever gambling and was just practicing. And he not only won, but ran over other pros time after time. I never saw anyone approach him to ask for a game while he was practicing. It is hard to ask someone to play who is just running rack after rack. Or is just breaking over and over and making balls almost every time.
I said of the bunch only Earl played at a level back then that would have been considered professional today...ie fargo in the 800's

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I found 1 more vote for Sigel
View attachment 677158
Mike's right, of course. As an all-around player, Mike is the best ever American player. Earl was his peer at nine-ball alone. As an all-around player, only Luther Lasiter can be compared to Mike, and I feel Mike was the better of the two. Finally, as we've discussed on the forum before, it's very difficult to try to size him up against Mosconi and Greenleaf.

FunChamp

Mike's right, of course. As an all-around player, Mike is the best ever American player. Earl was his peer at nine-ball alone. As an all-around player, only Luther Lasiter can be compared to Mike, and I feel Mike was the better of the two. Finally, as we've discussed on the forum before, it's very difficult to try to size him up against Mosconi and Greenleaf.
How do you feel about Mike compared to Shane for all around? I always thought Nick was right up there as well.

FunChamp

There is a gentleman here near Fuquay Varina, NC where I am near, named Richard (goes by Dick) who was friends with Larry Hubbart. Richard loves to tell me stories of playing Mike when Mike was around 16 and 17 years old. He went to the same pool room in NY state somewhere. Richard is very old now and we play One Pocket sometimes. It's very entertaining because it takes us about an hour to play one game because of all the stories he tells. Plus I literally have to remind him before every shot which pocket is his. I just smile and listen to him reminisce so he can enjoy himself. I try not to make to many balls either. lol

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I once asked Pat Fleming who he thought was the better all-around player, Mike Sigel or Nick Varner. Without hesitation he said Nick Varner. For 9-ball and straight pool I would give the edge to Mike, but for 1-pocket, banks, and 8-ball I think I would give the edge to Nick. Together with Lassiter I think they are the three best all-around American players ever (setting aside the difficulty you mentioned of evaluating Mosconi and Greenleaf as all-around players).

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once asked Pat Fleming who he thought was the better all-around player, Mike Sigel or Nick Varner. Without hesitation he said Nick Varner. For 9-ball and straight pool I would give the edge to Mike, but for 1-pocket, banks, and 8-ball I think I would give the edge to Nick. Together with Lassiter I think they are the three best all-around American players ever (setting aside the difficulty you mentioned of evaluating Mosconi and Greenleaf as all-around players).
That’s valid too. Can’t ever discount Nick. It’s close that’s for sure. SVB is still 39 and his 1P is on the upswing, his 10B mite be as good as anyone ever.

I don’t think there’s an answer about the past on who’s best all around.

Alex might be currently

Fun topic