Player of the decade Earl or Sigel?

Earl or Sigel

• Total voters

FunChamp

That’s valid too. Can’t ever discount Nick. It’s close that’s for sure. SVB is still 39 and his 1P is on the upswing, his 10B mite be as good as anyone ever.

I don’t think there’s an answer about the past on who’s best all around.

Alex might be currently

Fun topic
I think Alex has faded a bit in 9ball. But IMO Alex has been the best all around player in the world since about 2015-16. I also think Fedor will shortly claim that crown if he hasn't already. As far as SVB, I think his 1p is underated. I've thought he has been top5 or at least top10 in the world in One Pocket for years now.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I
I once asked Pat Fleming who he thought was the better all-around player, Mike Sigel or Nick Varner. Without hesitation he said Nick Varner. For 9-ball and straight pool I would give the edge to Mike, but for 1-pocket, banks, and 8-ball I think I would give the edge to Nick. Together with Lassiter I think they are the three best all-around American players ever (setting aside the difficulty you mentioned of evaluating Mosconi and Greenleaf as all-around players).
I left out Harold Worst, another player who is difficult to evaluate due to the brevity of his career at pocket billiards, but who I think always deserves to be mentioned in discussions of the greatest all-around American players ever, despite the brevity of his career.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Alex has faded a bit in 9ball. But IMO Alex has been the best all around player in the world since about 2015-16. I also think Fedor will shortly claim that crown if he hasn't already. As far as SVB, I think his 1p is underated. I've thought he has been top5 or at least top10 in the world in One Pocket for years now.
I agree with everything you said. That’s my observation as well.

Best
Fatboy😃

I’ll add one thing. SVB 1P is going to be on the upswing over the next couple years. I’m very confident in that. It’s super solid now, but will get better.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How do you feel about Mike compared to Shane for all around? I always thought Nick was right up there as well.
Mike's not far above Nick. Mike was just a bit above him in the two major disciplines back then, 14.1 and nine-ball. Nick was probably better at each of one-pocket and banks. Eight ball was about even. Lassiter is the only other American in the conversation for greatest all-around player.

Relative to his peers, Shane was below Mike, Nick and Lassiter. In this era, I think I'd put Pagulayan and maybe even Orcullo above Shane, but Shane is rightly grouped with the greatest ever all-around players.

The most amazing thing about Mike is that he was one of the two best players (along with Mizerak) when the straight pool era ended and remained one of the three best players (along with Hall and Strickland) when the nine-ball era replaced the straight pool era.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I once asked Pat Fleming who he thought was the better all-around player, Mike Sigel or Nick Varner. Without hesitation he said Nick Varner. For 9-ball and straight pool I would give the edge to Mike, but for 1-pocket, banks, and 8-ball I think I would give the edge to Nick. Together with Lassiter I think they are the three best all-around American players ever (setting aside the difficulty you mentioned of evaluating Mosconi and Greenleaf as all-around players).
Pretty much how I see it, although I'd say they were equals in eight ball. I give Mike the nod as an all-around player because nine-ball and straight pool were pool's primary disciplines in the 1980's, with banks and one-pocket not as important.

Still, if one weights all the disciplines equally, the choice between Mike and Nick is awfully close.

Last edited:

Stevexjfe

Pretty much how I see it, although I'd say they were equals in eight ball. I give Mike the nod as an all-around player because nine-ball and straight pool were pool's primary disciplines on the 1980's, with banks and one-pocket not as important.

Still, if one weights all the disciplines equally, the choice between Mike and Nick is awfully close.
In 1991, Varner was voted "Best All-Around Player".

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty much how I see it, although I'd say they were equals in eight ball. I give Mike the nod as an all-around player because nine-ball and straight pool were pool's primary disciplines in the 1980's, with banks and one-pocket not as important.

Don't think that Mike couldn't play One Pocket or Banks at the highest level as well. I saw him play guys like Tony Fargo and Truman Hogue dead even at Banks and hold his own, and his record against Nick at One Pocket is a winning one. Mike was right there with Miz and Hopkins in One Pocket! I would make it a toss up between Mike and Nick at those two games as well. They were probably the two best All Around players of their era, neither of them had any weaknesses at any game! Maybe that's why they became such close friends.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay who out of all the best players of any era held their speed the best under high pressure tournament play or high stakes gambling?
Tough question to answer but take your best shot.
Who would you stake for $100,000 of your own money?
Open for others to answer if you have seen enough players to form an opinion?
I've always heard that Hopkins held his speed better than anyone,but that's just second hand info from his one time high stakes backer.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Don't think that Mike couldn't play One Pocket or Banks at the highest level as well. I saw him play guys like Tony Fargo and Truman Hogue dead even at Banks and hold his own, and his record against Nick at One Pocket is a winning one. Mike was right there with Miz and Hopkins in One Pocket! I would make it a toss up between Mike and Nick at those two games as well. They were probably the two best All Around players of their era, neither of them had any weaknesses at any game! Maybe that's why they became such close friends.
Thanks Jay, I didn't know that and went by reputation alone on one-pocket. I never saw Mike play Nick at that game. Never too old to learn!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay who out of all the best players of any era held their speed the best under high pressure tournament play or high stakes gambling?
Tough question to answer but take your best shot.
Who would you stake for $100,000 of your own money?
Open for others to answer if you have seen enough players to form an opinion?
I've always heard that Hopkins held his speed better than anyone,but that's just second hand info from his one time high stakes backer.
Ronnie Allen in One Pocket for sure. I bet on him many times, even when it looked like he had the worst of it, and still won pretty much every time. Ronnie's famous quote that I loved was, "You make the biggest scores when you give up the nuts!" And he did, or at least his opponents thought so. After Ronnie, Keith was a good bet at 9-Ball. Many people don't know that when Efren first came to this country, he landed in Los Angeles before going to Texas. He ran into Keith at the Orange County Sports Arena and Keith gave him the eight ball playing 9-Ball, as was his custom for all strangers, especially Hispanic ones (which he thought Efren was). Keith put a whipping on him that Efren never forgot.

Other very good bets included Billy Incardona who seemed to book all winners. He gave a very strong playing Bucktooth (when Tooth was much younger) the six ball for 300 a game back in the early 1970's in Vegas. I thought Tooth had the nuts and bet 20 a game on him. After I was stuck 100, I switched over to Billy and ended up 200 winners. One other relatively unknown player back then was Jack Perkins. I never saw him lose a money game. People under-rated his game and he could really play, maybe only a ball below the champions. Any time I saw him in action I automatically got a bet down. I saw some great players (Cole and Jimmy Reid among others) try to give him the seven ball and they didn't like it.

The only guy I would ever bet all my money on was Harold Worst. He just wouldn't let anyone beat him at any game. If he needed to raise his level he would do it. EVERYONE (tournament or money player) feared Worst back then for about three years (1964-67). He was the best player and we all knew it!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where’s Johnny? 😉😉
In 86 and 87 Johnny was making a name for himself as one of the top two players in Georgia. In 1988 to 89 I think he unseated Paul Turner for being known as the best player in Georgia. It was around that time I heard a local player predict Johnny would be World Champion one day. He was right.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 86 and 87 Johnny was making a name for himself as one of the top two players in Georgia. In 1988 to 89 I think he unseated Paul Turner for being known as the best player in Georgia. It was around that time I heard a local player predict Johnny would be World Champion one day. He was right.
I’ll ask him. Chester was in the picture when he was very young. They knew very soon when he was 15 something special was going on.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I

I left out Harold Worst, another player who is difficult to evaluate due to the brevity of his career at pocket billiards, but who I think always deserves to be mentioned in discussions of the greatest all-around American players ever, despite the brevity of his career.
If you include Billiards, Worst maybe the best period.

62Stratus

Registered
The December 1991 issue of Billiards Digest contained this article in which the pros were polled on who they considered to be the best. At this time, Sigel had already backed off from competing as often as he had in the past but was still right behind Varner in nine ball and number one in straight pool. I think Earl had an off year (for him) but was still highly regarded in nine ball. It's a little unfair to Earl as he was a nine ball monster and didn't play the other games.

100 1991 December Supremes 1 page 49.jpg
100 1991 December Supremes 2 page 53.jpg
100 1991 December Supremems 3 page 55.jpg
100 1991 December Supremes 4 page 57.jpg
100 1991 December Supremes 5 page 59.jpg