Pool table recommendation?

Jdel

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping to answer most questions up front.

We've just reclaimed our basement from the kids, and I'm looking for a table. I know there are a bunch of threads like this, but I've been through many of them and I haven't found what I'm looking for. Hopefully, the detail will help me figure out what to buy.

Room size - 20' x 30' with a 9" wall edge at 17.6'
Room floor - hardwood on concrete
Budget - very flexible but the ($10k refurbished anniversary in town seems a bit high to me)
Goal - a good, higher-end table that I will be happy with for years to come (selling pool tables seems to be a PITA)
Skill level - I've played pool before but not for about 10 years
Chances I'll play tournaments - ~5% (I've done a lot of random tournaments in different things, so who knows).

The last time I owned a table was about 12 years ago, but that house had a structural subfloor in the basement, and it was nearly impossible for me to keep it perfectly level, which made it no fun for me to practice. Now that it's hardwood on concrete, I expect it to be much easier to get the setup correctly.

I was initially thinking about a 9' GC or Diamond since there's that tiny chance I might want to play in a tournament, but I can't find anything on the used market (I've been looking off and on for the last 2 years). The only thing that looks good is that anniversary, but $10K is a lot of $$$$. I want to place the table so that it takes up less space so that there is room to add other games like air hockey, foosball, etc. Based on what I've read here, I think an 8' table would be perfect and more fun for everyone else who might plan, and 17.6' seems good for an 8'. If I found a great deal on a 9' I could just swap how it's placed so that is till an option.

Now to my main question. What tables other than GC, Anniversary, and Diamond do people recommend? I'm hoping for some specific tables since I don't think saying Brunswick is the same as GC or Aniversary. If you have a table and love it (8' or 9') I'm curious what it is.

Also, does anyone know a good mover/installer in Colorado? I exchanged emails with Glen (RKC) when I had a Diamond lined up during Covid, but someone else got it and well.... it was covid so I'm just getting back to this. ;-)

If you have a table you think I'd like, please PM me with the details.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One question you need to answer...'Which tournaments do you plan to compete? And what size tables will you be competing on?' OOOPS, that is two questions.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe another brand is Connelly. There are a double handful of tables that will need a full going over that will make fine basement tables then.

I would go ahead and buy a Diamond or Brunswick commercial table. The value isn't going to change much if you buy a new one, hardly none used. Buy an Anniversary or similar Brunswick and there is a good chance you sell it at a profit.

Keep an eye on estate sales, I saw a several thousand dollar table listed in a two day sale for $400. It didn't sell the first day and everything was 1/2 price the second day. Somebody bought it for $190! It looked new in the pictures, just been sitting in somebody's house for many years.

While the fantastic deals are out there, best just to bite the bullet when you are ready for a table and remember how much enjoyment you would miss while waiting on that perfect deal. Room issues and almost outdoors, I passed on that really nice table and bought a reworked Valley with simonis cloth, new cushions, and four and a quarter corner pockets for $600, delivered. The math didn't work except I would have been bothered abusing the nice table. One more Valley, who cares? Hurricane Ida dumped tens of thousands of gallons of water on my pool table, I'm glad it was just a Valley even if it didn't play half bad.

Hu

dendweller

You might want to see about lining yourself up with a table mechanic in your area if possible. They often hear about available tables and you'll likely need someone to move it and set it up anyway. I paid 3500 for a used GC4 a few years ago and I don't think that was real cheap. That was from a mechanic I'd had work on a previous table and included the setup with new cloth etc.

Jdel

One question you need to answer...'Which tournaments do you plan to compete? And what size tables will you be competing on?' OOOPS, that is two questions.
If I ever do, I have no idea. I don't think there's a pool hall within 30 miles. I do enjoy 9 ball more than 8.

Jdel

You might want to see about lining yourself up with a table mechanic in your area if possible. They often hear about available tables and you'll likely need someone to move it and set it up anyway. I paid 3500 for a used GC4 a few years ago and I don't think that was real cheap. That was from a mechanic I'd had work on a previous table and included the setup with new cloth etc.
That's a great idea if I can find someone with a good reputation. I think many tables never get listed because people don't want to go through the hassle. I don't remember the make of our last table, but it was about $1500 used (~$4k at the local dealer) to get moved and installed. When I put it up for sale, I had to drop it to free to get someone to take it.

Jdel

I believe another brand is Connelly. There are a double handful of tables that will need a full going over that will make fine basement tables then.

I would go ahead and buy a Diamond or Brunswick commercial table. The value isn't going to change much if you buy a new one, hardly none used. Buy an Anniversary or similar Brunswick and there is a good chance you sell it at a profit.

Keep an eye on estate sales, I saw a several thousand dollar table listed in a two day sale for $400. It didn't sell the first day and everything was 1/2 price the second day. Somebody bought it for $190! It looked new in the pictures, just been sitting in somebody's house for many years.

While the fantastic deals are out there, best just to bite the bullet when you are ready for a table and remember how much enjoyment you would miss while waiting on that perfect deal. Room issues and almost outdoors, I passed on that really nice table and bought a reworked Valley with simonis cloth, new cushions, and four and a quarter corner pockets for $600, delivered. The math didn't work except I would have been bothered abusing the nice table. One more Valley, who cares? Hurricane Ida dumped tens of thousands of gallons of water on my pool table, I'm glad it was just a Valley even if it didn't play half bad.

Hu
I'm at that point now, if I find a reasonable deal, I'm on it. The last time I really looked, there were a few, but right now, there is nothing within 200 miles of Denver that I can find.

Does $10K sound unreasonable to people for a refurbished Anniversary? I don't want to wait for a new Diamond.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm at that point now, if I find a reasonable deal, I'm on it. The last time I really looked, there were a few, but right now, there is nothing within 200 miles of Denver that I can find.

Does $10K sound unreasonable to people for a refurbished Anniversary? I don't want to wait for a new Diamond.

I saw that but wouldn't comment because of the gray area "refurbished" leaves. I have seen refurnished mean patched up, flaws hidden, and mismatched components. I have also seen "refurbished" mean worked to a perfection never achieved from the factory.

Some people have refurbished just mean the furniture appearance side of the table, some might mean just the playability side. For ten thousand I would expect a table that is tuned to perfection and without any flaws in appearance. If that is what is being offered for ten thousand I would say it isn't cheap by any means but perhaps fair. It would have to be by a top known rebuilder or someone that could furnish references and pictures of past builds.

Ten thousand is a premium price. I would expect a premium product.

Hu

dendweller

That's a great idea if I can find someone with a good reputation. I think many tables never get listed because people don't want to go through the hassle. I don't remember the make of our last table, but it was about $1500 used (~$4k at the local dealer) to get moved and installed. When I put it up for sale, I had to drop it to free to get someone to take it.
Had the same experience. Gave away my first two tables.

My opinion is, if you just want a table to play on, maybe an 8 footer, you probably don't want a 10K dollar anniversary. It may be a good investment, and it may not be, all depends on who restored it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling tables is a PITA

Get a good one and keep it.

The 10k anniversary isn’t going down in value. If it’s properly restored as Hu mentioned.

Neither is a GC or a Diamond.

You’re on the right track. Connely (I can’t spell) tables are like Gandy. If you like 2nd rate equipment they are ok. But if you have the budget and the difference is nominal I’d get a GC or Diamond if you don’t want to go for $10K. I understand.

Best of luck, there’s lots of people here who know what they are talking about. You’ll be just fine after a few hours research and questions. Or calls.

Happy for you, enjoy

Fatboy 😃

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few good pool halls near Denver. @measureman lives there and knows the scene. Maybe he can point you in a good direction? The pool halls are where I would go first. Talk to the owner, he might sell you one of his tables. Or, he will put you in touch with his table mechanic who may have a line on tables. The commercial pool rooms have the most knowledge.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give Best Quality Billiards on West Colfax in Lakewood a call.
how far out of Denver are you?
The Anniversary table is a bit steep but still................

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 3 minute search on Facebook Marketplace Denver turned up these ... 9 foot used Diamond tables. You are on your own to determine if this is legit

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was real cheap.

And to the op- hang out for the right table. You don't wanna buy twice.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 3 minute search on Facebook Marketplace Denver turned up these ... 9 foot used Diamond tables. You are on your own to determine if this is legit

Clearly not a Diamond, maybe a GC but the corner castings look off to me. Maybe just not installed correctly.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly not a Diamond, maybe a GC but the corner castings look off to me. Maybe just not installed correctly.
Yep. I noticed that after I posted. That one can't be trusted.

I did find a Gandy, and a Connelly. Both would make excellent home tables, and both are solid as a rock.