2023 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi 14-1 players:) Post your 2023 runs in this thread and I'll keep this first post updated with everyone's high run. Videos are welcome, but not required. Rules are: cue ball fouls only, call pocket, any rack method allowed, any cleaning methodology allowed, run does not have to start from break shot, run can be practice or in an actual game, any size table is fine. *Feel free to make the rules more strict if you prefer for yourself. Rack'em :D:cool::)

Prior Year Threads:
2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006

2023 Results:
High RunMember
69 Video (20.1)kanzzo
40LightsOut
32iusedtoberich
31BayGene
30DJKeys
23Zagiflyer
23Charles Hartfield
21Texas Carom Club
29 - I left a side pocket break ball which is the best I could do, and I had to take the cue ball off the opposite end rail with a lot of spin, and it spun all the way around the pack without touching a ball. I called it a night.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
69 at "crowded straight pool" also known as 20.1 (new pb)

(actual run starting at 4:15)
I like this concept. I can run out any full table but break shots always seem to bite me in the a**. Maybe I should buy a few more sets of balls and give 100.1 a go :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in this challenge this year. Can some link me to the rules we are using please.?
Any series of legally pocketed balls under the rules of 14.1 (see the WPA website for a copy) counts as a run.

If you are playing solo, the standard to begin is to rack 14 balls, place the 15th ball as you please but not within a ball diameter of the others and place the cue ball as you please with the same restriction. Shoot until you miss or foul.

If you are playing in a match, play according to the rules of the match but you can continue the run past the end (situation permitting).

It's nice to post a video of the run but it's not required.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any series of legally pocketed balls under the rules of 14.1 (see the WPA website for a copy) counts as a run.

If you are playing solo, the standard to begin is to rack 14 balls, place the 15th ball as you please but not within a ball diameter of the others and place the cue ball as you please with the same restriction. Shoot until you miss or foul.

If you are playing in a match, play according to the rules of the match but you can continue the run past the end (situation permitting).

Just curious why placing the break ball within a ball diameter of the pack would not be permitted to start? It’s not like it would make a successful break shot any easier?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious why placing the break ball within a ball diameter of the pack would not be permitted to start? It’s not like it would make a successful break shot any easier?

I think some people figured out a way during the DCC challenges many years ago to freeze a ball to the stack making it dead in one of the pockets, and blasting open the rack in the process. Something like that anyway.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
29 - I left a side pocket break ball which is the best I could do, and I had to take the cue ball off the opposite end rail with a lot of spin, and it spun all the way around the pack without touching a ball. I called it a night.
1/13/2023 - 110 tonight on a 7 foot Diamond Smart table. My first time of 100+ on any size table, besting my previous high run of 98 on a 9 foot table roughly 20 years ago. I did pull off one low percentage pack shot 3-4 racks in to the run.

I was certainly feeling the pressure the last couple racks and was so relieved when I hit 100 that I guess I lost focus and missed a relatively easy shot 2 shots from a perfect break shot which would have allowed me to keep going.

Now I plan to move on and see what I can do on a 9 foot table, as running 100+ on a 7’ table is a world of difference than reaching that number on a 9’ table.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some people figured out a way during the DCC challenges many years ago to freeze a ball to the stack making it dead in one of the pockets, and blasting open the rack in the process. Something like that anyway.
OK, that makes sense. What some people will think of.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Is it true that 14.1 is called pocket and not called ball? Or was that simply more madness from you know who?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Chris. That a significant jump from your usual efforts. Eye surgery..? ;)
No, but it is directly related to my eyes! For the last month, I am focusing on the cue ball last throughout the entire stroke. It’s working great on a 7 foot table where there are no long shots, it’s still a work in progress on a 9 foot table with the longer shots.

It’s taken me a long time to learn but on the break shots especially on a 7 foot table, you have to extract the cue ball back to the middle of the table. If it stays anywhere near the racking end of the table, you will very likely have no shot. You are correct that my previous high run on that same table was only 56/57.

Only on a 7 foot table for 14.1, if you can manage to stay out of traffic with the cue ball, the shot making is extremely easy.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1/13/2023 - 110 tonight on a 7 foot Diamond Smart table. My first time of 100+ on any size table, besting my previous high run of 98 on a 9 foot table roughly 20 years ago. I did pull off one low percentage pack shot 3-4 racks in to the run.

I was certainly feeling the pressure the last couple racks and was so relieved when I hit 100 that I guess I lost focus and missed a relatively easy shot 2 shots from a perfect break shot which would have allowed me to keep going.

Now I plan to move on and see what I can do on a 9 foot table, as running 100+ on a 7’ table is a world of difference than reaching that number on a 9’ table.
Well done! That’s great. 14.1 is my worst game by about 11 or 12 miles. Glad you see it’s working for you💪💪

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member

That’s awesome congrats!