What Is The Most Over Rated Cue?

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Question was "What Is The Most Over Rated Cue?"
IMO, The last one sold between two individuals. Seller will
hype it for sale, Buyer accepts hype and buys. Simple as that.

hank

Reactions: bbb

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn this thread has been enlightening! Thanks everyone for helping steer me away from the overrated products created by Southwest, Predator, Szamboti, Schon, Balabushka, Palmer and so many others. Shoot, 8intheside is so good that he just needs a bar cue to play his best game, and Texas Carom Club is so cool that he thinks everything is overrated. Good to see that 11 years of thought went into these replies. Just to be sure, I should buy a Lucas’s right? Thanks again everyone.

Benelli

Damn this thread has been enlightening! Thanks everyone for helping steer me away from the overrated products created by Southwest, Predator, Szamboti, Schon, Balabushka, Palmer and so many others. Shoot, 8intheside is so good that he just needs a bar cue to play his best game, and Texas Carom Club is so cool that he thinks everything is overrated. Good to see that 11 years of thought went into these replies. Just to be sure, I should buy a Lucas’s right? Thanks again everyone.
Not a single negative comment about a Viper that you purchase at Dick's Sporting Goods or a Mizerak purchased at Walmart.

So get buying...

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Southwest & any of the cues over $5000. They are not going to make you a great player,
you already were a great player before that.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
We can tell this has been hard on you opening your eyes, as in the matrix, the rule is never to open someone's mind after a certain age, they don't take the truth well much.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue buyers generally fall into two categories: one is the work-of-art collectible buyers and the other is the basic tool buyers. There is NOTHING a hi-dollar 'wait til your kids graduate college' cue can do that a $80 Chinese sneaky won't do as well. To each his own. What i find kind of amusing is that after about 40yrs of playing it seems that the worse a player a plays the fancier the cue. This isn't written in stone but fairly on-point.

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue buyers generally fall into two categories: one is the work-of-art collectible buyers and the other is the basic tool buyers. There is NOTHING a hi-dollar 'wait til your kids graduate college' cue can do that a $80 Chinese sneaky won't do as well. To each his own. What i find kind of amusing is that after about 40yrs of playing it seems that the worse a player a plays the fancier the cue. This isn't written in stone but fairly on-point.
In most cases I don’t look at any one cue maker’s cues as overrated. Some charge more, some less. Usually it’s a supply/demand thing. I’ve owned a bunch, and my daily driver is a beat up 60” Diveney SP. It just does the job for me. Best of all, nobody feels compelled to steal it.

Nyquil

In general I believe through improved manufacturing practices the line between production cues and custom cues is pretty thin. When you quantify this thru price/wait lists etc it's tough for a lot of people to swing custom these days. With that said will I shell out several thousand for a tasc one day, the answer is yes. It's like a rolex vs a timex both do the same thing at the end of the day and both have their place in the market.

Gear101

Predator, they put a sticker on a cue and charge 1000usd.... cheap Chinese made cues that are overpriced.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator, they put a sticker on a cue and charge 1000usd.... cheap Chinese made cues that are overpriced.
Far from cheap if you're talking about quality. Have you ever seen/played one? I've gotten a couple in trades that were flawlessly made and played great.

Panhdlce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too many to list. Don't believe me? Just go over to the Wanted/For Sale section and look at the many cues listed for enormous $$$ that the seller claims "hits a ton", or "plays lights out", etc. Hell, if there is THAT many cues that hit so great, why do they price them as if THEIR cue is the only one made that has a great hit to it (which is 100% subjective anyway)?

Why is one cuemakers wood, veneers, splices, etc. so much more costlier to a buyer than anothers?

Same reason a Hilfiger or Aeropostale $3.00 T-shirt sells for $25.00. It's all in the NAME, baby!!!

And.......us goofy Americans are gullible enough to pay over-inflated prices for almost ANYTHING that has a "name" to it and is the current fad!!!

Maniac
same works with a resale, buy something worth $100 and you will be lucky to get your money back

Panhdlce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a southwest "style" cue from ebay a few months before i played in the 2010 US Open....it came with 2 shafts and the cue had great craftsmanship and was solid. the more i played with it the better the "hit" was because of the tip becoming harder. I played well with the cue considering the long layoff from pool that i had....$120 bucks shipped to my door...😁
good for you