2023 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m old enough (66) that I grew up in the 1970s playing it in NJ, when it was still the game of choice for more serious players.
Being from Ca I never saw straight pool once until I went to Phoenix in 91. Absolutely nobody played it here. 9B and 1P was the only pool played

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being from Ca I never saw straight pool once until I went to Phoenix in 91. Absolutely nobody played it here. 9B and 1P was the only pool played
14.1 as a tournament discipline died off in the mid to late 1970s when 9-ball took over. In pool rooms as a gambling game, 9-ball was always more popular even before then.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 as a tournament discipline died off in the mid to late 1970s when 9-ball took over. In pool rooms as a gambling game, 9-ball was always more popular even before then.
Gambling on 14.1 just isn’t a plan. That’s certain. However as a true test of pool, I believe it’s the gold standard

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
29 my third best ever. Made the third break shot but had to hit the rack bottom rail first. Cueball stuck like glue, frozen solid to rack and that was that.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I’m old enough (66) that I grew up in the 1970s playing it in NJ, when it was still the game of choice for more serious players.
Whereabouts in NJ out of curiosity? Hudson Essex Morris or further south?

There’s so many guys here that remember the NJ scene from that era (I am not one of them). But the stories are great.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whereabouts in NJ out of curiosity? Hudson Essex Morris or further south?

There’s so many guys here that remember the NJ scene from that era (I am not one of them). But the stories are great.
Princeton, but I occasionally went to Hi Cue in Elizabeth. I saw Miz and Hopkins play 14.1 matches, and my dad took me to a Mosconi v Lassiter 14.1 exhibition in Trenton around 1969.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Princeton, but I occasionally went to Hi Cue in Elizabeth. I saw Miz and Hopkins play 14.1 matches, and my dad took me to a Mosconi v Lassiter 14.1 exhibition in Trenton around 1969.
The highlight of my NJ pool life was the day that Mosconi gave an exhibition at Rutgers in New Brunswick. He ran 187. That night, around midnight, he met Mizerak at a pool hall downtown in the private room in the basement. Mizerak beat Willie, and Willie complained about the table the whole match. Never will forget that.

-dj

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another 29, the last ball was way up table so I couldn’t find a way to hit the rack and keep going
I feel your pain. It’s a good idea to try to get the balls up table off as soon as you can. The exception is if you’re playing 14.1 on a 7 foot table, then the balls up table sometimes become your best/easiest break set up balls. At least you got that last ball, so your run didn’t end at 28!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1/13/2023 - 110 tonight on a 7 foot Diamond Smart table. My first time of 100+ on any size table, besting my previous high run of 98 on a 9 foot table roughly 20 years ago. I did pull off one low percentage pack shot 3-4 racks in to the run.

I was certainly feeling the pressure the last couple racks and was so relieved when I hit 100 that I guess I lost focus and missed a relatively easy shot 2 shots from a perfect break shot which would have allowed me to keep going.

Now I plan to move on and see what I can do on a 9 foot table, as running 100+ on a 7’ table is a world of difference than reaching that number on a 9’ table.
Strange, but since my 110 run two weeks ago on our 7-foot Diamond, I’ve had absolutely no desire to try it again on the same table. I realize I was in some kind of zone on that particular run, and it’s very unlikely to be duplicated or beaten by me, even on that table.

Since then, I’ve tried a number of times on our 9-foot table with equivalent 4.5 “ corners, and I can’t get through the 3rd rack. I don’t think there’s any possible way to figure out what running 110 on a 7 foot Diamond equates to running on a 9 foot Diamond. It is just two completely different games on those two different sized table surfaces.

On the 7-foot table, once you figure out how to keep your cue ball out of traffic, particularly on the break shot, you face very few difficult shots, and it is so much easier to break up problem clusters. On a 9 foot table, seems like there are at least a few problems to solve and tough shots that come up for me every rack. And after all these years, I still haven’t figured out a break shot that results in routinely leaving myself a high percentage shot to continue my run.

Last edited:

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I'm curious if everyone would consider posting their FargoRate at the time of their runs. I feel like a 650 is about what it would take to run 100 balls, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm curious if everyone would consider posting their FargoRate at the time of their runs. I feel like a 650 is about what it would take to run 100 balls, but I'm sure there are exceptions.
My buddy is a 630 that's well established, he's run 49 twice on me in game, but he doesn't practice it only plays friendly games with me.

I'm just a 500

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran 6 racks for a 84 and jarred my break shot in the corner. I had to cut it down the rail then bank in to the stack from the long rail. Undercut is my usual miss on that shot not accounting for the extra throw from the added speed. I found if I stroke the shot I get more out of it than hitting it hard. Same way with the bottom rail break shot.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums