Imagine the world's best/most powerful breaker on an endless pool table... how long does the cue ball travel?

zkzkzk

Brand new Simonis 860, no rails and whoever you think has the best/most powerful break... how long does the cue ball travel? I've asked this a few people around the pool halls and been given some wild answers... from 40 feet to 40 miles. What's your guess?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshot_20220602-115002.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brand new Simonis 860, no rails and whoever you think has the best/most powerful break... how long does the cue ball travel? I've asked this a few people around the pool halls and been given some wild answers... from 40 feet to 40 miles. What's your guess?
Please take this click-bait troll shit over to Reddit where it belongs. We already have justnumnuts to deal with. No more.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question seems to come down to: what is the coefficient of friction of simonis 860 cloth? Plus, perhaps, the wind drag. I'm not a physicist, but at that point I think it would just be modeled by an equation where if you have an input (initial break speed, perhaps 25-27mph is the top for humans, although I'm curious what it actually is) and then grind through the calculation and it tells you how long until the speed of the ball is 0.

There are of course complicating variables, such as angle the cue hits the cue ball (at any given speed if it catches air for the first few feet that might change the outcome vs catching very little air), or the spin induced (a slightly below-center hit will introduce backspin that would change the distance, all other variables the same).

Since there's no rails to absorb energy, either, and assuming a perfectly level, perfectly centered hit....100ft? Does OP know the answer or is this more of a sociological study where we just get to see the variability in answers confirming that no one really knows?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an endless table and any of my three boys could smack it with enough force to float the ball on an air cushion whereupon it would eventually escape earth's gravity and just keep going.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question seems to come down to: what is the coefficient of friction of simonis 860 cloth? Plus, perhaps, the wind drag. I'm not a physicist, but at that point I think it would just be modeled by an equation where if you have an input (initial break speed, perhaps 25-27mph is the top for humans, although I'm curious what it actually is) and then grind through the calculation and it tells you how long until the speed of the ball is 0.

There are of course complicating variables, such as angle the cue hits the cue ball (at any given speed if it catches air for the first few feet that might change the outcome vs catching very little air), or the spin induced (a slightly below-center hit will introduce backspin that would change the distance, all other variables the same).

Since there's no rails to absorb energy, either, and assuming a perfectly level, perfectly centered hit....100ft? Does OP know the answer or is this more of a sociological study where we just get to see the variability in answers confirming that no one really knows?
C'mon guys. Please don't don't feed the bear. We've already got people who ask these inane questions.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I wonder if one could catapult a cue ball from California to Japan across the Pacific Ocean given the right catapult. Also, I wonder if a Patriot Missile could shoot down that cue ball before it reaches Asia. These questions are at least as important as that in the original post.

Needless to say, I'm talking about a red circle cue ball here.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
How far does it travel after making contact with the rack? Or how far does it travel if the guy just whacks the cue ball?