Balance point

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really liked my Schon's, they all are in the 19-19.25 range. Then I stopped to think about it the other day and when I go to this corner bar by my summer house and I play on their table with a house cue with an ok tip, I like those cues also, and they are very rear weighted. So does it really matter, I don't think so.
That was a good point on where you grip matters

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like weight forward. My cue is 60.5" weight forward. People that l let hit with it they think it is around 18oz. It weights in at 20oz

DeeDeeCues

If you grip the very back of the cue for shooting, There is no balance point... What good would it do to have a balance point ? ... Guy

The balance point affects the weight distribution on the bridge and in the shooting hand.

I don't hold the cue at the very butt, even though I am 6'3". I like a forward heavy cue so I have more feel on the bridge. My current cue is under 16.5oz, and very forward balanced.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you grip the very back of the cue for shooting, There is no balance point... What good would it do to have a balance point ? ... Guy
ALL cues have a balance point. He's asking for peoples preference for where that is. Most any decent cuemaker that is concerned with how his cues play builds them around a given balance point,,,,,,,, sometimes that point is specifically asked for by customers.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What’s your ideal cue balance in inches from butt of cue?
For the feel of the cue, the location of the balance point is best measured from the tip. Of course if you restrict the discussion to 58-inch cues, it doesn't make any difference.

I prefer a forward-balanced cue because I often use a short bridge and a forward grip.

Guy Manges

Registered
The balance point affects the weight distribution on the bridge and in the shooting hand.

I don't hold the cue at the very butt, even though I am 6'3". I like a forward heavy cue so I have more feel on the bridge. My current cue is under 16.5oz, and very forward balanced.
Your 6'3 and shoot a 16 oz cue, wow, Do you make your own cue ? I see most all the top players with their hand on the very butt of the cue and I wonder what good it does to have a butt balance point... Doesn't the entire cue become balance when holding the cue at the very butt, back... ?

Guy Manges

Registered
For the feel of the cue, the location of the balance point is best measured from the tip. Of course if you restrict the discussion to 58-inch cues, it doesn't make any difference.

I prefer a forward-balanced cue because I often use a short bridge and a forward grip.
Bob what do you say about balance of cues when gripping the very butt of the cue ? Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
ALL cues have a balance point. He's asking for peoples preference for where that is. Most any decent cuemaker that is concerned with how his cues play builds them around a given balance point,,,,,,,, sometimes that point is specifically asked for by customers.
Yes all cues have a balance point, But what good do they do if you grip the very butt , doesn't the whole cue become a balance point ? Guy

DeeDeeCues

Your 6'3 and shoot a 16 oz cue, wow, Do you make your own cue ? I see most all the top players with their hand on the very butt of the cue and I wonder what good it does to have a butt balance point... Doesn't the entire cue become balance when holding the cue at the very butt, back... ?

Yes, I make cues.

First, let's define 'balance point'. That is the point at which the cue would balance if set on a single finger, or the center of mass. If the balance point is far back, the shooting hand takes most of the weight. As the balance point moves forward, there is more weight on the bridge hand, which changes the feel of the cue in the hands. I like to have more weight on the bridge hand.

The hand placement also makes a difference in the effective weight on each hand. If the bridge length stays the same, there will be more weight on the bridge the further back the cue is gripped.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Maybe the balance point is important to some players but has never been something I think about. I grab a cue and play, I don't seem to be sensitive to it.
For many years I could not tell the difference between a custom or something I made.
Over the years I have developed the feel to tell a measurable difference in how cues feel. I have a McDermott, Predator and a Helmstetter that play great so I have something to measure against.

The balance point is something that I may adjust to automatically.

The balance point seems to be so close on cues that for me it is not a huge factor.

Guy Manges

Registered
Yes, I make cues.

First, let's define 'balance point'. That is the point at which the cue would balance if set on a single finger, or the center of mass. If the balance point is far back, the shooting hand takes most of the weight. As the balance point moves forward, there is more weight on the bridge hand, which changes the feel of the cue in the hands. I like to have more weight on the bridge hand.

The hand placement also makes a difference in the effective weight on each hand. If the bridge length stays the same, there will be more weight on the bridge the further back the cue is gripped.
De De a question for you please, If I grip the cue on the very butt, or very back of cue, Does the entire cue stick become the balance point ?
When I was young and learning to handle a cue stick I was taught to look for the balance point to find the grip point for playing... This has always been a basic for me and I've always taught this rule... Please explain to me why the need to have a balance point if the whole cue becomes a balance ? Guy

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There should be differences throughout the stroke since the location of center mass and therefore inertia can change in 4 dimensions. ( space + velocity)