pool-hall-massacre

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. At its core, the Boy Scouts were only to exist to teach basic life and outdoor skills. Because a small number of individuals did bad things does not mean the whole group is to blame. I don't know to what extent it happened in the BS or the church, but it is never acceptable. Epstein island wasn't acceptable either. There is a lot of sex trafficking and abuse in Hollywood as well. All should be condemned. I would hope we can all agree on that.
I completely get the “one bad apple” argument.

It was just way more widespread.

Over 92,000 sexual abuse claims were filed with the bankruptcy court before November 16, 2020.

People hate the “woke” movement and for good reason in some cases but it has exposed significant abuse in many areas of society.

92k isn’t one bad apple. It’s systemic abuse.

Cuedup

92k isn’t one bad apple. It’s systemic abuse.
If you know boy scout history, the organization was problematic from its founding , the the abuse problem was well known to the organization for a long time and it specifically resisted reforms such as basic background checks to identify known child predators or even track already known predators within the organization. Basic stuff like just keeping a list.

The bad apples metaphor originates from the proverb "A rotten apple quickly infects its neighbor", first recorded as used in English in 1340. It's as true today as it was in 1340.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I grew up we had the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts. We were taught sex education and the birds and the bees. We were taught manners to say "Please" and "Thank You". We were taught to respect our elders. We were taught not to hit the weaker sex. We were taught gun safety. We were taught that life owes you nothing. We were taught to appreciate what we had. I could go on and on and that was not that long ago.

It seems that none of the above is the norm now. Almost everyday or at least every month or two, we see another mass shooting of some kind. Most can't identify what a man and a woman is including government officials. We have men competing in sports like MMA or boxing against biological women. We see more and more crime against the elderly. We see mob mentality and the eroding of individual rights. This is pure insanity. Mark my words, we will all pay for this soon.

There has never been a perfect society and never will be, but today we are a product of our own success. We all have too much idol time and material wealth. We don't have to hunt or gather for our food each day. We don't have to protect our live stock from predators. Life is the easiest it has ever been in history in this aspect, but it appears that we are the more sad and sick than ever before.

Whether you believe in God or not, believing in nothing will destroy your soul and your humanity. Everyone needs to believe in something bigger than themselves.
Yep... good times we live in.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, if during the 1,000 years when Christendom reigned over Europe, there were no wars, no conquests, no innocents being put to death on trivial charges, you might have a leg to stand on......

No:: do unto others before they do unto you.
Men doing bad things in the name of God doesn't mean God is bad. It's just man looking for an excuse for the bad deeds he commits. I didn't make my first comment to convert anyone. I made a statement based on my beliefs.

Even if an afterlife doesn't exist, I have to live my life like there is one. Otherwise, what is the point? Why would I care if I harm another individual? What would I care if I steal? The law of man is the be all end all? So a murder/suicide goes absolutely unpunished? If I could snap my fingers and end all human life on this planet, would it have any meaning?

There is more to the universe then man will EVER understand... no matter how smart we think we are.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Men doing bad things in the name of God doesn't mean God is bad. It's just man looking for an excuse for the bad deeds he commits. I didn't make my first comment to convert anyone. I made a statement based on my beliefs.

Even if an afterlife doesn't exist, I have to live my life like there is one. Otherwise, what is the point? Why would I care if I harm another individual? What would I care if I steal? The law of man is the be all end all? So a murder/suicide goes absolutely unpunished? If I could snap my fingers and end all human life on this planet, would it have any meaning?

There is more to the universe then man will EVER understand... no matter how smart we think we are.
Or it just all means nothing. The real problem is people needing a higher power to provide meaning in order to stop them from doing bad stuff.

Being a decent person shouldn't be tethered to the fear of an imaginary person or place.

We'd be a lot better off with an absence of god and religion that we are with it.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

You need the possibility of an afterlife to guide your conscience?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or it just all means nothing. The real problem is people needing a higher power to provide meaning in order to stop them from doing bad stuff.

Being a decent person shouldn't be tethered to the fear of an imaginary person or place.

We'd be a lot better off with an absence of god and religion that we are with it.
I think more people under Christendom fear Hell to a greater degree than they relish Heaven.

On the other hand, infinite punishment (hell) for finite crimes (disbelief) is not the mark of a loving god (YHWH).

Me I hate choir music, so the only proper way for god to punish me is to sit me in a choir in Heaven.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
God has to exist before it can be labeled good, bad, or indifferent.

After 5,000 years of searching the best evidence we have is that, at best, god is indifferent.
IT is much more rational to believe in God, than to believe that we are here from nothing, because of nothing.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which god,in your opinion ,is the most rational to believe in and why?
This world has gone to teaching Adam and Eve, to Adam and Steve.

The image of God comes from our feeble brains. And all the scripture of all religions was written by men. I believe Christians or Jews or Muslims are actually all the same. It's men that twist things one way or the other.

For instance....
I don't take the Bible literally as written.
Take the story of Adam and Eve. I disbelief that they we cast from the garden because Eve ate a forbidden apple. The story is a riddle.

Here's my interpretation....
After they were banished from the garden of Eden, Adam looked at Eve and said,
"You see Eve, if you would have just put my pecker in your mouth like i wanted instead of that friggin apple, we would still have it made"!

Last edited:

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of a messy subject ,isnt it? Go back not too far and crimes like child abuse,spousal rape, domestic abuse ,child porm and a host of other crimes were not even crimes.

Go back little further ,if you owned them you could kill them. They're just property.

Back when God was in the schools and people respected each other.
what year was that?

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Believe or don't believe. There were no school shootings when I grew up. I even got permission to take a double barrel shotgun into English class for an English assignment. I did a demonstration on cleaning a shotgun. Try that today!
I did that my senior year; presentation on gun safety. Nobody thought a thing as I walked down the hall with a 12 gauge pump over my shoulder and a .45 colt in my pants. Of course neither were loaded and I did have permission..... This was in 1993. Try that today.

Godspeed to the victims of this, and their families.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember being in the parking lot at high school showing my new shotgun to one of the teachers. We had our guns sitting on top of the trunk while students and other teachers walked by. They didn’t pay any attention to us

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need the possibility of an afterlife to guide your conscience?
No. I try my best to live my life and let others do the same.

But.... If I could push a button and end every human life, would it matter if there was no God? Who would miss us? What is the point of us being here? No point? Then why do I give a damn about people?

I believe we will be judged, not because I go to church (which I dont) but based on how we treat our fellow man. I'm far from perfect, but I do try.