Serious question?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
what do they play in bars for money. answer is 3 ball. why? because anyone can get lucky and win the pot. even though the best players get the lions share of the money if the game lasts long enough. it isfun then. and others even watch.

what do they play in poolrooms where the players are more experienced for money. answer is one pocket. why?
because the worst player gets lots of shots rather than watching someone string racks of nine ball. or playing a game they cant run out but the opponent will when they miss.

why is tennis losing favor and pickel ball storming all over. answer is in pickle ball all speeds of players can get into the action and even win. where in tennis against a better player all you do is chase after their serves.

why is pool dying out in many spots?. i just answered it in the above.

Last edited:

Cuedup

what do they play in bars for money. answer is 3 ball. why? because anyone can get lucky and win the pot. even though the best players get the lions share of the money if the game lasts long enough. it fun then. and others watch.

what do they play in poolrooms where the players are more experienced for money. answer is one pocket. why?
because the worst player gets lots of shots rather than watching someone string racks of nine ball. or playing a game they cant run out but the opponent will when they miss.

why is tennis losing favor and pickel ball storming all over. answer is in pickle ball all speeds of players can get into the action and even win. where in tennis against a better player all you do is chase after their serves.
But...smaller pockets

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet so many fans believe automakers are involved in racing to improve road car technology, nothing could be further from the truth. Car makers are there to put their brand on the worlds stage, otherwise known as advertising.
Are you saying no innovation comes from the race teams? I took my dad to Sebring last thursday to watch the Porche's race and walked through the paddock. They sure are spending a ton of money for just advertising.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A highlight of my pool playing days was when I was sent to Nashville for two weeks for work. As I was driving through the city, I noticed a sign welcoming Pro Pool players, so I turned around and checked it out. $75 entry fee, and $20 per day to watch. I figured I would be there for two days anyway, so I paid the entry fee and was a participant. I lost the first match 10-11. and won 5 games on the second match. Good time.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don't think real Professional pool players should ever be required to play against any amateurs in tournaments.
If they want to make more money while warming up, they should love it.
More dead money, more payout.
And let's not forget that 500 to 1 amateur winning the world 9 , Thorsten Hohmann.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Ah, the classic what is wrong with pool thread.

Technically, nothing. Rather it lacks a position of privilege.

Let me summarize...

1. Still hasn't shaken the stigma of being associated with gambling, smoke filled rooms, low-class criminal element, and scumbag type culture because to be honest, it still infested with these types. It's because it's too accessible.

2. The global elite, the wealthy who at one time held billiards as a sport of the upper class ditched it in favor of golf in the 1940-1960 era. Golf is boring too, what is popular is often manufactured to be based on who pours money into it. Much how the music industry manufactures artists who have zero talent. They have the money, they don't pick pool so pool has to organically grow or stay in the gutter. Sorry, you don't get the benefit of being the sport of choice for the haves. Often, the rich do not want to do the same things that the poor are doing because they want to disassociate as much as possible due to their massive egos and elitism etc. Interestingly, this has been shown to the the case with naming babies, trends in which car brands are popular, and many other things. Wealthy have trends in names they like to use, once that trickles down to the masses, they move on to something else. Golf by comparison is still relatively protected where most players are at least upper middle class at a starting point. Compare to pool, that has lots of trailer park people, bikers, thugs, et al. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger. Blame them for being bigots.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think real Professional pool players should ever be required to play against any amateurs in tournaments.
Make them be a certain Fargo. The US Open golf tourn. allows am's to enter that are 2handicap. British Open does same thing. They never win but imo its good for the game. Why should pool be any different? Difference in golf is they a true am's in that they can't get any $$ unless they give up their am. status

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, the classic what is wrong with pool thread.

Technically, nothing. Rather it lacks a position of privilege.

Let me summarize...

1. Still hasn't shaken the stigma of being associated with gambling, smoke filled rooms, low-class criminal element, and scumbag type culture because to be honest, it still infested with these types. It's because it's too accessible.

2. The global elite, the wealthy who at one time held billiards as a sport of the upper class ditched it in favor of golf in the 1940-1960 era. Golf is boring too, what is popular is often manufactured to be based on who pours money into it. Much how the music industry manufactures artists who have zero talent. They have the money, they don't pick pool so pool has to organically grow or stay in the gutter. Sorry, you don't get the benefit of being the sport of choice for the haves. Often, the rich do not want to do the same things that the poor are doing because they want to disassociate as much as possible due to their massive egos and elitism etc. Interestingly, this has been shown to the the case with naming babies, trends in which car brands are popular, and many other things. Wealthy have trends in names they like to use, once that trickles down to the masses, they move on to something else. Golf by comparison is still relatively protected where most players are at least upper middle class at a starting point. Compare to pool, that has lots of trailer park people, bikers, thugs, et al. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger. Blame them for being bigots.
Golf, at least in the US, has ALWAYS been a rich man's game. Yes there have always public courses but historically golf has been the realm of the country club set in this country. Pool really lost its luster post-ww2 with the stigma of gambling,drugs, etc.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Golf, at least in the US, has ALWAYS been a rich man's game. Yes there have always public courses but historically golf has been the realm of the country club set in this country. Pool really lost its luster post-ww2 with the stigma of gambling,drugs, etc.

That's right. The rise of suburbia also killed pool. Less urbanized environment means people started doing more outdoor things. None of this is controversial. Brunswick did analysis of this way back and this is why they changed their tables. Started making tables suitable for homes, cheaper, to try to adapt to the new suburban ranch home world.

The rich dumped pool. The people moved out of cities. Many factors.

I'm of the opinion that pool is actually doing OK considering it has to grow and sustain organically without big donor and big sponsorship money with ads, and that it is surviving barely in an extremely competitive environment where practically any activity or sport can be streamed online. Just about anything that someone might be willing to watch gets streaming these days. This isn't 40 years ago where pool had to compete with a far smaller field of sports and activities for the eyes and hearts of the masses.

If we want to zero in to recent times - two factors are helping to bury pool ...

1. The reluctance of pool halls to ban smoking, literally clinging to a dying demographic and deterring the the majority of people from even wanting to go there. Absolutely the dumbest, shortest sighted move ever. But we're not dealing with geniuses here.

2. Video games. This generation is addicted to that crap and plays it into their 30's and later. This means the available pool of potential players that "would have been" is smaller.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's right. The rise of suburbia also killed pool. Less urbanized environment means people started doing more outdoor things. None of this is controversial. Brunswick did analysis of this way back and this is why they changed their tables. Started making tables suitable for homes, cheaper, to try to adapt to the new suburban ranch home world.

The rich dumped pool. The people moved out of cities. Many factors.

I'm of the opinion that pool is actually doing OK considering it has to grow and sustain organically without big donor and big sponsorship money with ads, and that it is surviving barely in an extremely competitive environment where practically any activity or sport can be streamed online. Just about anything that someone might be willing to watch gets streaming these days. This isn't 40 years ago where pool had to compete with a far smaller field of sports and activities for the eyes and hearts of the masses.

If we want to zero in to recent times - two factors are helping to bury pool ...

1. The reluctance of pool halls to ban smoking, literally clinging to a dying demographic and deterring the the majority of people from even wanting to go there. Absolutely the dumbest, shortest sighted move ever. But we're not dealing with geniuses here.

2. Video games. This generation is addicted to that crap and plays it into their 30's and later. This means the available pool of potential players that "would have been" is smaller.
People under 30(and waaaay too many over 30) are also STONE COLD addicted to their phones. They fk with these things for hours on end. Sad to watch an entire generation turn into phone addicted morons.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
People under 30(and waaaay too many under) are also STONE COLD addicted to their phones. They fk with these things for hours on end. Sad to watch an entire generation turn into phone addicted morons.
How about at a home table the person is dicking with their phone. I stop the game and says my back hurts. 2 relatives of mine.... GUILTY

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last years US Open 9 ball event didn't have the 256 players they were expecting. This years event coming up will have 4' corner pockets, wonder if the entries will be even less than last year, if so, the players will have started speaking out, and not in a good way for this sport, just wait and see.
Entries for the 2023 event, like last year, filled within a couple of hours after registration was open. https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/us-open-9-ball-2023-atlantic-city-sep-25-30.552611/ I haven't seen anything yet about pocket size.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't play 'cell phone pool'. I tell the guys at the hall that if they can't turn off their damn fones for 2hrs they need help. That shit drives me nuts.
In bars you get people need to order drinks, catch up with the denizens. My favorite line is, "What am I?" This on inning three from the guy standing right there thinking who knows what... Kills flow period. Slow play is one thing but fkn take your turn!.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True for the most part, but before the PGA formed in 1916, some of golf's top players (professionals) were hustlers/gamblers and golf actually had a shady reputation in America. The PGA was formed by a wealthy business man who invited golf professionals to join the organization with the "purpose of promoting interest in professional golf, elevating the standards of the game, and advancing the welfare of its members (players)." The initial charter had 35 members. So someone with money and a vision started an organization for the betterment of the game with little support initially, that grew golf into a billion dollar industry. Could pool's "wealthy business man" be Barry Hearn?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True for the most part, but before the PGA formed in 1916, some of golf's top players (professionals) were hustlers/gamblers and golf actually had a shady reputation in America. The PGA was formed by a wealthy business man who invited golf professionals to join the organization with the "purpose of promoting interest in professional golf, elevating the standards of the game, and advancing the welfare of its members (players)." The initial charter had 35 members. So someone with money and a vision started an organization for the betterment of the game with little support initially, that grew golf into a billion dollar industry. Could pool's "wealthy business man" be Barry Hearn?
Look at your average pool crowd then drive over to the country club. Might as well be from two different planets. Pool will never play in that $$ neighborhood.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!

Straight jacket 🧥 please.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at your average pool crowd then drive over to the country club. Might as be from two different planets. Pool will never play in that $$ neighborhood.
Maybe not but that's not to say it cannot be elevated from what it is today. I think Matchroom is just getting started.